BBO Discussion Forums: Serious error? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Serious error?

Poll: Serious error? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate double?

1. Automatic (10 votes [26.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. OK (7 votes [18.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

3. Neither good nor bad (3 votes [7.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

4. Slighty flawed (9 votes [23.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

5. Serious error (9 votes [23.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-September-18, 14:09

BAM scoring.
Good opponents.
Your call?

see Information topic in Laws and Rulings Forum

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-18, 14:35

Serious error doesn't begin to describe double. How about Homer Simpson, DOH!
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-18, 14:46

View Postnige1, on 2013-September-18, 14:09, said:

BAM scoring.
Good opponents.
Your call?

see Information topic in Laws and Rulings Forum

If you double, where can the opponents run to? Answer Nowhere
Double,then lead out your two top spades and kill the slam in its cradle... :D
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-September-18, 15:06

Two issues of relevance.

1. what are the odds that your teammates will bid a slam off two cashing tricks? If the answer is that you expect your teammates to usually have the means to avoid this result, then double rates to be unnecessary. +100 will score no better than +50.

This is difficult to estimate, since maybe LHO was looking at 13 hcp and assumed that a quantitative sequence was unnecessary, since they hold at least 33...and your teammates would probably make the same calls.

2. if we double, will they run and, if so, with what likely result?

Here, again, we are guessing. If LHO did this on a 4432 or 4333 13 count, then they usually can't run to better than -100 even if partner leads the wrong suit, and may easily be 300. So LHO may sit, and it won't do RHO any good to run since you are on lead.

Otoh, if LHO has bid this way with a 6 card suit or any other extra shape, they may have 12 winners or even 13 in LHO's suit, and he is definitely running.

The 'good' opps probably have a way of showing shape and slam interest over 2N. Now, they may disdain that at BAM to try to steal a board, but I have no reason to think that to be likely. Therefore, the odds seem to favour the purely quantitative bid with nowhere to go and/or a place to go that still fails by a trick at the 7 level.

So I double.

I would pass at imps.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-18, 15:08

What if North pulls to 7 of his long running minor ?
You won't be on lead and they may have "14" tricks without a lead .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#6 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-18, 15:31

I would never double as my teammates aren't off one in 6Nt.
That is, this BAM double only wins 1/2 MP-BAM if my teammates are -50. Mine aren't.

#7 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-18, 15:35

View Postdake50, on 2013-September-18, 15:31, said:

That is, this BAM double only wins 1/2 MP-BAM if my teammates are -50. Mine aren't.

Can I believe my eyes???? Holding 2 certain tricks and on lead against a NT slam
you would NOT double??? Show me how 6NT wouldn't fail on the lead of the AS or KS??
Am I missing something???
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#8 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-September-18, 15:36

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-18, 14:46, said:

Wrong forum.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#9 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-September-18, 15:36

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-18, 15:35, said:

Can I believe my eyes???? Holding 2 certain tricks and on lead against a NT slam
you would NOT double??? Show me how 6NT wouldn't fail on the lead of the AS or KS??

Yes, which is why you're in the wrong forum.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-September-18, 15:43

Yes. Try reading the other posts and thinking about it before posting.

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-September-18, 15:50

Didn't Justin have a story where he worked out that a double of 6NT was based on AK on lead, he pulled to 7m, and they didn't guess the right lead?

Of course, with proper agreements it is fairly safe to double, as I can double 7x to ask partner to lead a higher-ranking suit.

P.S.: I can really recommend the "hide" function of BBF...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-September-18, 16:15

View Postcherdano, on 2013-September-18, 15:50, said:

Didn't Justin have a story where he worked out that a double of 6NT was based on AK on lead, he pulled to 7m, and they didn't guess the right lead?

Of course, with proper agreements it is fairly safe to double, as I can double 7x to ask partner to lead a higher-ranking suit.

I'm not saying that Justin doesn't but I am pretty such that Garozzo, in the round robin in Verona, in 2006, got doubled and ran, successfully, to 7 minor.

That was at imps, where the double was really silly, but in fairness, the auction, as here, had hidden the long suit.

BAM does import an entirely different thought process, since one is looking only for likelihood of gain rather than risk/reward.

The really bad imp factor is that the double, to beat the contract one trick, would add 0 imps to the swing, assuming the opps played a notrump game making 5. So the double stood to gain precisely nothing and risked (and cost) a huge amount.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-September-18, 16:16

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-September-18, 14:35, said:

Serious error doesn't begin to describe double. How about Homer Simpson, DOH!

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-18, 14:46, said:

Agree with mikeh that double is OK.
  • The bidding might be similar in the other room and the player in your seat might double. Perhaps he won't realise what geniuses he's up against :(
  • Philg007 is right that if you lead AK then 6N will fail, Opponents don't know whether you hold a couple of As rather than AK. That makes removal a risky tactic.
  • As cherdano says, in this and similar situations, an expert partnership may agree that if you double RHO and subsequently LHO becomes declarer in another contract, then double asks partner for a particular lead (say ) whereas pass suggests another suit.
  • Finally, even if your partnership lacks that agreement -- and opponents somehow become aware of that chink in your armour -- you may still elect to double, in an attempt to flatten the board, when more sophisticated defenders in the other room do have such an agreement.

#14 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-18, 16:35

View Postmikeh, on 2013-September-18, 15:06, said:

Two issues of relevance.

1. what are the odds that your teammates will bid a slam off two cashing tricks? If the answer is that you expect your teammates to usually have the means to avoid this result, then double rates to be unnecessary. +100 will score no better than +50.

This is difficult to estimate, since maybe LHO was looking at 13 hcp and assumed that a quantitative sequence was unnecessary, since they hold at least 33...and your teammates would probably make the same calls.

2. if we double, will they run and, if so, with what likely result?

Here, again, we are guessing. If LHO did this on a 4432 or 4333 13 count, then they usually can't run to better than -100 even if partner leads the wrong suit, and may easily be 300. So LHO may sit, and it won't do RHO any good to run since you are on lead.

Otoh, if LHO has bid this way with a 6 card suit or any other extra shape, they may have 12 winners or even 13 in LHO's suit, and he is definitely running.

The 'good' opps probably have a way of showing shape and slam interest over 2N. Now, they may disdain that at BAM to try to steal a board, but I have no reason to think that to be likely. Therefore, the odds seem to favour the purely quantitative bid with nowhere to go and/or a place to go that still fails by a trick at the 7 level.

So I double.

I would pass at imps.

When partner opens 2nt, I am not familiar with any methods specifically geared toward figuring out if AK of a suit is missing. Most people would simply check for Aces and bid 6nt if two are not missing. Given that, it's interesting that responder bid a direct 6nt. Was he afraid that say 4 could be doubled ? Or may be he had exactly 13 and could therefore eliminate the possibility of two missing Aces, assuming partner rarely upgrades a 19 count to a 2nt.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#15 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-September-18, 18:05

Well, I am not going to X. I think the odds of running to 7m are remote, but this is BAM and I already think I have won this board. I might lead the Ace and then hesitate a while to annoy declarer, though.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#16 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-19, 00:30

View Postdake50, on 2013-September-18, 15:31, said:

They may or may not be. Why are you so sure they aren't? Maybe this is a completely standard auction (or do you know that your team-mates never bid 6NT with less than 34hcp?)
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#17 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-19, 01:39

"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#18 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-September-19, 01:54

View Postcherdano, on 2013-September-18, 15:50, said:

Yes he did. I was trying to find that thread (should be around 2006-2007) a few years ago but I couldn't, what with all the different nicknames and "Jlall (guest)"-s.

The auction was:
1NT-p-2C-p
2D-p-6NT-p
p-x-p-p
7C-x-all pass (or doubled by the other guy)

Hence 7C was rightsided. I believe helene_t also made a post in this thread making much the same argument about lead-directing doubles.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#19 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-September-19, 02:47

If the goal of posting in the expert forum was to get mainly experts to participate in the poll, this has been a miserable failure. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-September-19, 03:25

I remember, in an IMP pairs at an American national, being on lead against 6NT with an AK to cash. I didn't double. The next day I saw the same hand in the bulletin: somebody had made 7 of a suit after being doubled in 6NT. I felt very smug.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users