• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No CC

#81 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-October-09, 10:23

My guess is BW will use Google Wallet, since they're already using that to accept contributions to the site. I have no idea what that means in terms of fees to the merchant.

#82 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-09, 12:42

CC fees, while they vary, will generally be structured at somet like $x + y%. Typical values for small merchants are x = $0.30 and $y = 2.9% - with smaller charges it's the 30 cents that kills you. Less of an issue if you're charging $25 or whatever an NABC entry is these days.

#83 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-October-10, 07:29

I imagine players pre purchasing entries will be playing several sessions over multiple days so the typical transaction will be significantly more than $5. You can't even get 1 club game here for $5 :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#84 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-10, 09:32

View Postjillybean, on 2013-October-03, 22:17, said:

I think I will start keeping my CC under my seat. :)

The last non-club tournament I played was a "friendly" island bridge festival. We asked the organiser about CCs and were informed that there was no requirement due to the fun nature of the event. That was something of a relief to me because I had little desire to write a CC in a foreign language (what is an undisciplined style preempt in German, for example?) and thereby embarass myself. Instead we verbally warned our opponents every round of the unusual aspects of our (simple Acol) system.

During the first session, we arrived at the table of a pair of ladies with one CC placed on the table. As is my way, I immediately picked it up and started scanning for anything important and went into the system blurb. After a few seconds, the lady on my right asked where my CC was in a particularly terse tone. My partner explained that we did not have one, whereupon she ripped the CC out of my hands and stuffed it into her bag saying "then we don't either!" I have to admit, the performance made me smile. As it happened the opps did not play anything particularly unusual either, so the effect was simply to create a bad atmosphere. That was by no means the only example of unfriendliness at the festival either. In fact, I would say it is the least friendly bridge event I was ever at, and that is actually quite an achievement.

View Postgnasher, on 2013-October-05, 23:43, said:

This is another rather extreme regulation. Suppose I arrive two minutes before starting play with a new partner. We agree "2/1, standard carding, and wing it" for the first round. Finishing the first round early, we now want to add a defence to 1NT. Do we realy have to get the director's permission before we do so?

It is surely even worse than this Andy. Say that this pair have a bidding misunderstanding. Their initial agreement is essentially "no agreement". But whichever meaning for the bid they now choose it is a change of system.

Similarly, suppose they meet a Precision pair in round 2. One says they should play Mathe against the 1 opening and draws their cards. The SB opponent now pipes up and says that they are not allowed to alter their agreements in the session without permission of the TD and it is now too late for that to happen since the board has begun. What happens next?

Here's an even better one. A player from a regular pair psyches a response. Their SB opponent remembers a discussion at the bar from a couple of weeks earlier about a similar psyche having been made. He calls the TD to complain that the history has created an implicit partnership understanding. But creating such an understanding during a session without TD permission is illegal, since the system may not be changed. Therefore either the psyche was illegal or the system now being played by the pair is illegal.

This is surely not the design of the regulation. Pairs alter their systems all the time within a session, both explicitly and implictly. In fact, I think any regulation that tries to prevent that is simply unworkable. Obviously, like most ACBL regulations, this is a case of writing the wording in strong enough terms that the TD can make pretty much any ruling they want but giving enough leeway that the TD can interpret it as desired. The same applies to the CC regulation being discussed as well as stop cards, system charts, etc. The only question is why anyone would be surprised at this style of regulation.
(-: Zel :-)

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users