• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EBU tourneys and MPs

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-October-21, 15:47

broze, on 2013-October-21, 05:01, said:

However I played my first tournament on Sunday and noticed that the movement was quite unusual:

It's Swiss Pairs. After each round, the pairs are ranked according to their running score. 1st plays 2nd, 3rd plays 4th, and so on. Rematches are possible if the rankings stay the same.

#22 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-21, 16:36

barmar, on 2013-October-21, 15:47, said:

It's Swiss Pairs. After each round, the pairs are ranked according to their running score. 1st plays 2nd, 3rd plays 4th, and so on. Rematches are possible if the rankings stay the same.

Ok, that would explain it, thanks. I've never played a Swiss Pairs with rematches before but of course it will be unavoidable with a low number of pairs/boards.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#23 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-27, 11:58

gordontd, on 2013-October-16, 07:05, said:

As to affiliating, I think you misunderstand the nature of the relationship between BBO & the EBU. These games are not run by BBO as an affiliated club of the EBU; they are run by the EBU itself using BBO as the "venue" & service provider. As such, the organisation you need to join for your accumulated master points to have some value is the EBU itself, either directly or by joining an affiliated club.

Incidentally, while I certainly did misunderstand the nature of the relationship, which misunderstanding is now dispelled, it still occurs to me that BBO might benefit by affilating, at a cost of £33 per year, the benefit being that I (and others like me, if there are any) would not HAVE to join a(nother) club (or by direct membership), as our own membership of BBO would then suffice. Of course if I am the only individual in this position then it would be madness to jump through such hoops just on my account.

Then again, as a matter of policy, the EBU might object, as it might prefer to encourage local club membership and providing an avenue to evade that membership would be contrary to that policy.

I am assuming that an affiliated club is not required to run all its events under EBU regs. That would certainly put the kibosh on it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#24 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-14, 14:38

Should we expect to see the sessions we play online come up on our 'members' section? Presumably we win "net" masterpoints on there as well. How long do these take to come up?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#25 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-14, 16:25

broze, on 2013-November-14, 14:38, said:

Should we expect to see the sessions we play online come up on our 'members' section? Presumably we win "net" masterpoints on there as well. How long do these take to come up?

We get a report from BBO once a month, and then we update your record. As far as I can tell, you didn't get any points in September, so it'll be next month before yours show on your record. Incidentally, they aren't Net Points, but are Local Points exactly as you would win at your club.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#26 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-14, 19:04

1eyedjack, on 2013-October-27, 11:58, said:

Incidentally, while I certainly did misunderstand the nature of the relationship, which misunderstanding is now dispelled, it still occurs to me that BBO might benefit by affilating, at a cost of £33 per year, the benefit being that I (and others like me, if there are any) would not HAVE to join a(nother) club (or by direct membership), as our own membership of BBO would then suffice. Of course if I am the only individual in this position then it would be madness to jump through such hoops just on my account.

Well, BBO membership is free. I don't think that giving away membership for free is a great move for the EBU. How do the ACBL resolve this issue in their tournaments?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#27 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-November-15, 09:44

Vampyr, on 2013-November-14, 19:04, said:

Well, BBO membership is free. I don't think that giving away membership for free is a great move for the EBU. How do the ACBL resolve this issue in their tournaments?

ACBL membership is not related to club membership.

#28 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-November-16, 10:51

Vampyr, on 2013-November-14, 19:04, said:

As I understood it, EBU membership IS free, in the sense that (with the exception of those who subscribe direct) the EBU derives its "subsciption" income by way of a £33 club affiliation fee plus a cut of table fees. Whether and to what extent the club recoups that £33 from ITS members is entirely a private affair to which EBU is not a party.

I assume that the EBU is getting a cut of the table fees being paid at BBO tourneys. So the only difference seems to be that £33.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#29 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-November-30, 17:15

1eyedjack, on 2013-November-16, 10:51, said:

As I understood it, EBU membership IS free, in the sense that (with the exception of those who subscribe direct) the EBU derives its "subsciption" income by way of a £33 club affiliation fee plus a cut of table fees. Whether and to what extent the club recoups that £33 from ITS members is entirely a private affair to which EBU is not a party.

I assume that the EBU is getting a cut of the table fees being paid at BBO tourneys. So the only difference seems to be that £33.

Heh!
I see that the Turkish Bridge Federation have acknowledged my analysis of market forces. For BB$20 I get membership and can play online. They get my loyalty.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users