• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anand Carlsen world chess championship

#21 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-21, 06:55

OMG - what a turnaround.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#22 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2013-November-21, 12:27

BillHiggin, on 2013-November-21, 06:55, said:

OMG - what a turnaround.

Followed the game, what a final position to all but turn out the lights. Looks like Anand miscalculated a combo.

Carlsen wins the crown with one draw in the next three games, and once he does, he will hold on to it for a long, long time.

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-November-21, 13:04

Well, I'm a Carlsen fan but Kramnik has given him serious headaches in the Candidates. Anand will never play a world championship match again unless they revert to the KO system, but Kramnik and Aronian can both give Carlsen a run for his money and who knows, maybe Karjakin a few years from now.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-21, 20:12

Hope to make more free $ betting on him lol.

Also, you low on Caruana gwnn? I like his chances better than Karjakin, he's def worth a mention at least.

Odds that Anand retires now?

#25 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-November-22, 03:16

I was never impressed by Caruana. He has obviously a very big rating but his wins are not special. Obviously a great player and a very nice guy in general, though, and I would like to see him succeed. The only person from the 2700+ club I wouldn't like to be world champion right now is Anish Giri, but that doesn't seem like a serious possibility right now.

I think Anand will still play in the Candidates 2014 and then who knows. I am down to a bet though if you are interested.
      George Carlin

#26 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-November-22, 03:21

Totally not off-topic: great dress by Tania!
      George Carlin

#27 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-November-22, 07:46

Nice to see Carlsen play on, but Trent is a bit silly (saying that if Carlsen overpresses today he might be shattered and who knows?). If worst comes to worst he can always play for a draw in game 12 and anyway he's not risking that much today and anyway there's still game 11!
      George Carlin

#28 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-22, 08:45

gwnn, on 2013-November-22, 07:46, said:

Nice to see Carlsen play on, but Trent is a bit silly (saying that if Carlsen overpresses today he might be shattered and who knows?). If worst comes to worst he can always play for a draw in game 12 and anyway he's not risking that much today and anyway there's still game 11!

I don't agree.

I don't want to exaggerate either, but if you have been in a position where you can force a draw and win the world championship, decide to play on for a win and then lose because you overlooked something you are not making it easier to play game 11 and 12.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#29 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-November-22, 08:59

I think you're underestimating Carlsen's ability to play for a draw if he feels like playing for a draw, whether or not he lost twice in a row before, whether or not he missed some draws before. But we'll never know now since Carlsen is the new world champion!
      George Carlin

#30 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-22, 20:39

Congrats to Magnus! What a massive moment for chess. It's been an honour to watch his rise to ascendancy. Having said that I am a huge fan of Anand and it was a shame to perhaps not see him at his best this past week. 0 chance of him retiring before '14 Candidates imo. Care to explain your thoughts about Giri gwnn?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#31 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-22, 20:50

Giri is a known dbag. I think he cussed at hou when she beat him, has been very ungracious in pressers when losing to worse players, and has had some twitter stuff.

@gwnn: I dunno, I agree Caruana's wins never seem that impressive, that's what makes me think he's really good, he just seems to win a lot doing natural/strong things in dull positions, kind of like a worse Carlsen. Of course that doesn't bode well for him beating Carlsen in a match ever, but he could def get better I assume. To me the non flashy guys are more impressive.

#32 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-22, 22:35

Nakamura, Hikaru

top ranked usa player....

safe to say no one..no one in usa knows

#33 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-23, 01:29

The headline in the biggest newspaper here: "Chess world champion: a 23 year old Norwegian fashion model".

#34 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-November-23, 03:03

broze, on 2013-November-22, 20:39, said:

Congrats to Magnus! What a massive moment for chess. It's been an honour to watch his rise to ascendancy. Having said that I am a huge fan of Anand and it was a shame to perhaps not see him at his best this past week. 0 chance of him retiring before '14 Candidates imo. Care to explain your thoughts about Giri gwnn?

He constantly makes frustrated comments about players that beat him. One example was

naming Aronian a coffee house player.

And I just remembered that in his training series on Chessvibes he annotated a rather poor game with blunders from both sides from the National Championships of the Netherlands (won by him convincingly) by two other contenders with the intro something like "some strange things were happening on the table next to me" and at the end something like "this was the moment where I realised I really need to win the championship."
      George Carlin

#35 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-23, 05:05

I thought game 6 - the second of Carlsen's wins - was truly special, and showed just what he brings to the game which no-one else seems to have at the moment.

He had his plan with Kf7, followed perhaps by Re7 and Re5 with a nice edge - the sort of position he routinely wins even if it is theoretically drawn. But he completely misses Anand's h5 idea. No doubt moments after seeing h5 he would have realised a. it ought to lead to a draw and b. he could have stopped it by playing h5 himself, and then proceeded with his plan. it would be very easy at that point to become a little disheartened and acquiesce to a draw, but he buckled down and looked for a way - any way - to try to still win. And he came up with an idea involving sacrificing 3 pawns leaving Anand with 2 connected passed pawns half way up the board against 1 further advanced passed pawn of his own. And what's more, it's not as if this idea was a forced win - Anand could still have drawn if he found the right plan - meanwhile if Carlsen's calculations contained a miscalculation of some sort, it is possible, from Carlsen's point of view, that by going for this variation he might be throwing the game away. I'm not sure how many other GMs would have even seen this idea, let alone risked it when they were 1-0 up in the match. But Carlsen went for it, and his calculations were correct, and Anand didn't see the danger until it was too late.

#36 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-September-03, 02:02

gwnn, on 2013-November-22, 03:16, said:

I was never impressed by Caruana. He has obviously a very big rating but his wins are not special.

LOL
      George Carlin

#37 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-03, 14:16

haha nice bump
The artist formerly known as jlall

#38 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-03, 15:07

haha, watching the sinquefield?
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#39 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-03, 15:56

7-0!

Looking forward to the big one tomorrow.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#40 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-03, 15:58

7 for 7...wow
The artist formerly known as jlall

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users