BBO Discussion Forums: Robot duplicates - time increased - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot duplicates - time increased

#1 User is offline   dave251164 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-08, 02:46

30 minutes for 8 boards??
A totally unnecessary increase even if humans have to play as declarer for the GIBS.
25 mins was way too much time as it was.
Who wants to wait 15-20 minutes for results?
Please put it back as it was, or better still lower it to 15 minutes!

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-08, 07:00

Since the $0.25 Robot Dupe games are so frequent, maybe something like every fourth (of each form of scoring) could be a Speedball? Certainly, it's not right to rush people who are playing in the free games to get a feel for GIB.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-09, 13:15

Remember when we said we would check the stats to see if completion rates dropped when we enabled human declaring? We did the check, and saw them drop from about 91% to 87%. So while you and I found the old length more than adequate, about 10% of players couldn't keep up, and this change made things worse for them. It's only fair that we should adjust the time to compensate.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-September-09, 13:18

And we had several people asking for this increase. See here for someone thanking us. No matter what we do, some people will complain.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-September-10, 19:42

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-September-08, 07:00, said:

Certainly, it's not right to rush people who are playing in the free games to get a feel for GIB.

I guess I misunderstood the announcement. Free robot duplicates have not been increased from 25 to 30 minutes.

#6 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2012-September-10, 20:17

Can be increased if you like. Probably should be to align with the paid robot duplicate...
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-September-12, 09:06

View PostRain, on 2012-September-10, 20:17, said:

Can be increased if you like. Probably should be to align with the paid robot duplicate...

Since BBradley62 didn't like us increasing the other tourneys, why would he like that?

Users are more likely to feel they've been cheated out of something if they paid for it. When it's free we can get away with "you get what you pay for".

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-September-12, 09:27

View Postbarmar, on 2012-September-12, 09:06, said:

Since BBradley62 didn't like us increasing the other tourneys, why would he like that?

Users are more likely to feel they've been cheated out of something if they paid for it. When it's free we can get away with "you get what you pay for".

Excuse me?!? When did I say anything of the kind? I'm very happy with the increased time, and I think it is clear that you should increase the time in the free games, because those are the most likely games for new players to test out the concept of GIB, and they shouldn't be rushed when doing so.

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-September-12, 09:30

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-September-08, 07:00, said:

Since the $0.25 Robot Dupe games are so frequent, maybe something like every fourth (of each form of scoring) could be a Speedball? Certainly, it's not right to rush people who are playing in the free games to get a feel for GIB.

Here, I was simply making a suggestion to accommodate people who agree with Dave251164, that a few of the games should be made speedball style for their benefit.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-September-12, 18:27

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-September-12, 09:27, said:

Excuse me?!? When did I say anything of the kind?

Sorry, got confused and thought you were the original poster.

#11 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2013-December-19, 23:16

Excellent move to add the claim feature to robot dupes!

Maybe that can allow the time allocated to return to 25 minutes? :rolleyes:

#12 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-04, 06:05

Is there any point in assigning any time limit at all to the Instant Tournaments? I believe that these time out after the same half hour as with other robot events.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#13 User is offline   Heron 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-05, 11:24

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-January-04, 06:05, said:

Is there any point in assigning any time limit at all to the Instant Tournaments? I believe that these time out after the same half hour as with other robot events.

The documentation at least says that there's no time limit at all as long as you don't hit the BBO auto-logout idle limit. (Once you log out it's over.)

BTW, file me as another who likes the increased time on the robot games. Usually it's not an issue, but a few days ago I had a robot tourney with a bunch of really interesting hands which I blew on time. I'm happy to have them all run longer--does five minutes matter either way for getting the results?

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-05, 12:08

View PostHeron, on 2014-January-05, 11:24, said:

The documentation at least says that there's no time limit at all as long as you don't hit the BBO auto-logout idle limit. (Once you log out it's over.)

I have had an Instant Tourney terminate on me before completion without logging out.
As I recall, I was busy compiling robot reports of some of the hands as and when they arose without waiting for the tourney to complete.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#15 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2014-January-09, 23:25

There are some timeouts in instant tournaments

If the deal hasn't shown up in 2 mins, we close the table ( something must have gone wrong ).
if neither the human nor the robot makes an initial action on a deal for 5 mins, we close the table.
Both of these are intended as reactions to errors, not timeouts

Otherwise, if no bid or play was recorded on a deal for 30 mins, we close the table.

In practical terms this means u can take a 25-30 min break in the middle of a hand.

If I'm wrong about any of this, yell. If u feel longer timeouts are needed, convince us but i don't know....doesn't seem like it to me.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users