• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UI case

#21 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-05, 10:43

The ACBL uses this wording frequently, when their intention is "partner will not play for...and the system has no way to find out if..." whatever minor exception they're allowing.

I don't run from 2 with "best chance of a fit", even if the fit on very rare occasions could be X-2. I don't bid as if it could be 2. I just don't worry about it. I don't alert the 2 rebid. If you do, then you should.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#22 User is offline   hautbois 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-05, 13:00

View Postnige1, on 2013-December-04, 18:24, said:

Pass must be a logical alternative; partner seems to have considered a weakness take-out; that suggests that bidding may be more successful than festering in 1NX.

I don't follow the reasoning here, or I misinterpret the first semi-colon. I thought the determination of LA was completely separate and distinct from determining whether the action is demonstrably suggested. That is, pass can only be a logical alternative if other players in a similar position but without the UI would seriously consider the action and some actually take it or whatever the current ACBL definition is. The UI should have no determination on whether an action is an LA.

#23 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-December-05, 17:00

View Posthautbois, on 2013-December-05, 13:00, said:

I don't follow the reasoning here, or I misinterpret the first semi-colon. I thought the determination of LA was completely separate and distinct from determining whether the action is demonstrably suggested. That is, pass can only be a logical alternative if other players in a similar position but without the UI would seriously consider the action and some actually take it or whatever the current ACBL definition is. The UI should have no determination on whether an action is an LA.
A poll seems unnecessary because, surely, it would confirm pass as a logical alternative. Partner's bidding box shenanigans imply he contemplated a take-out bid. That seems to imply weakness. Suppose, instead he fingered the redouble card, before, apparently, remembering that redouble was SOS? IMO that might suggest pass over 2.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users