Posted 2014-February-01, 19:41

Multiple part problem.

Matchpoints.
Become yourself.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-01, 20:24

Does this bid fit your requirements for a fit jump? In the second part are we going to learn that this player bid 1?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-01, 22:31

I don't like psyching a suit higher ranking than the one I want to land in so 1 is out.

Given that it's mp's I'm in for 1 in case it's a playable strain and will continue (slowly) with diamonds up to 4 of them if need be.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-02, 03:21

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-February-02, 04:21

#6 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-February-02, 08:59

View PostVampyr, on 2014-February-01, 20:24, said:

Does this bid fit your requirements for a fit jump? In the second part are we going to learn that this player bid 1?

no and no
Become yourself.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-02, 09:01

1h I see no sense in any other action since at this stage we have not the slightest

clue which side this hand belongs to. I would probably rate 1H as a ten with other

options scoring varying degrees of ick with 2 or less.

#8 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-02, 09:14

I like fit jumps and this is close but for me the H suit is not healthy enough, I prefer this jump to be a trick taking suit so mark me down for 1H and I will not be surprised to see some spades being mentioned.

#9 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-February-02, 09:27

At the table I bid 1.

X of 1 was by agreement a support double, promising 3 hearts and any hand shape/strength
Now that you know of a double fit in hearts and diamonds, how do you proceed?
Become yourself.

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 02:50

This is a double fit hand, and we belong to the 5 level, however I would rather let them play 3

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 04:23

View PostFluffy, on 2014-February-03, 02:50, said:

This is a double fit hand, and we belong to the 5 level, however I would rather let them play 3

Are you scared that they will bid and make 4. Anything possible of course but this looks a bit unlikely to me.

a-Spades can be dealt 4441
b-Seems like both sides have approximately equal hcps, and they did not bid like they have a huge fit.
c-They do not know the double fit. By not making a fit jump, it seems like we are the only one to be aware of it.

It depends on agreements but if we bid 3 now, i would take it as competitive with exactly 4 and 4+ . Bidding 3 now will also be just competitive, which looks like a decent bid because to make game you need pd to not hold much of a spade value in his hand. And pd is very likely to predict that we are short in spades. Pass is out of question for me, i'd rather let them find their game instead of living my life with this fear and under compete each time they hold the spade suit.

It comes down to

a-Just bid 3 or 3 competitive without making a game try and/or w/o telling them we have a double fit.
b-Use 2NT or 3 or DBL or whatever your game trial bid is.

When we make a game try, pd who knows we are likely to be short in spades, will make better judgement imo. He will also know that our trial bid is likely due to our spade shortness and not hcps. I would not worry much about them bidding 4 and making when vulnerability is not attractive for a save for them + not holding enough values to bid 4+ not having a huge fit ( i predict at most 9 card fit spades for them.)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-February-03, 05:09

View PostLord Molyb, on 2014-February-01, 19:41, said:

Multiple part problem.
Matchpoints.
At the table I bid 1 (as a reply to 1).

X of 1 was by agreement a support double, promising 3 hearts and any hand shape/strength
Now that you know of a double fit in hearts and diamonds, how do you proceed?
IMO
  • After 1 (Dbl) ??: 2 (Fit jump) = 10, 1 = 8, 3 = 7, 2 = 6. Admittedly, fit-jumps are revealing to opponents. Arguably, however, they consume opponents' bidding space. Also, they're descriptive and consultative, helping partner make better-informed decisions.
  • Now, after 1 (Dbl) 1 (1) Dble (2) ??: 3 = 10, 3 = 9, 4 = 8, Pass = 7.
Auctions corrected, thanks to Ahydra.

This post has been edited by nige1: 2014-February-03, 11:58

#13 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 05:16

View Postnige1, on 2014-February-03, 05:09, said:

IMO
  • After 1 (Pass) ??: 2 (Fit jump) = 10, 1 = 8, 3 = 7, 2 = 6. Admittedly, fit-jumps are revealing to opponents. Arguably, however, they consume opponents' bidding space. Also, they're descriptive and consultative, helping partner make better-informed decisions.
  • Now, after 1 (Pass) 1 (1) Dble (2) ??: 3 = 10, 3 = 9, 4 = 8, Pass=7.

But East doubled (not passed) at his first turn.

I would go for 1H and now 4H... oh wait, MPs, sorry. 3H.

ahydra

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-February-03, 08:08

I think bidding 3 now is bad - why tell them about the double fit when they are still in the dark? Instead the plan of 3 now and 5 over 4 (if they get to it) seems sounds enough. If they are able to profitably bid 5 over that then hats off to them - but it is too small a target to get scared about.
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 08:53

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-03, 08:08, said:

I think bidding 3 now is bad - why tell them about the double fit when they are still in the dark? Instead the plan of 3 now and 5 over 4 (if they get to it) seems sounds enough. If they are able to profitably bid 5 over that then hats off to them - but it is too small a target to get scared about.

Imo they would be way far beyond safe at 5 level. Especially if our so called double fit is 8+8 hearts and diamonds, even 4 level maybe too high for them (as well as for us) I would not even save over 4 unless now LHO makes a bid which convinces me that they are serious or highly capable of making their contract.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users