BBO Discussion Forums: Your bidding after (2S) X (pass) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your bidding after (2S) X (pass)

Poll: assume "normal" bog standard hands, nothing special (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What is 3C ?

1. Forcing, natural (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. To play, partner expected to pass (4 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Not forcing, playable in clubs but (probably) also elsewhere (11 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

4. Transfer (showing diamonds) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

What is the minimum length of clubs for 3C ?

1. 4 (15 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. 5 (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

3. 6 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. other (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

What is the meaning of 2NT ?

1. Natural (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Transfer (promising clubs) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Puppet, not showing clubs, but expecting a club reply - eg Lebensohl (18 votes [90.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

4. Relay, not expecting club reply - eg scrambling (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-05, 08:01

I am interested in seeing what people play here. In asking for names I can check for combinations of answers, to save having 64 questions!
Please answer without reference to the hand below.
Edit : which is no longer there. **

I was wondering whether the reply to the double should be based not on having a strong hand or a single-suiter, but whether it should cater to 4 card suits, such as a scrambling NT. That 2NT reply would normally have overcaller bidding 4 card suits up the line to find a reasonable fit, but if he has only one, he starts with 3 (which is the only one that therefore may be shorter than 4 card).

Does anyone (I'm expecting it to be not the majority) have experience of such methods and can give any comment on them?

** in homage to the Avon gorge rock climbing guide for the description of the delicate climb "Fingerrip" which concludes "followed by a strenuous pull on a minute flake that is no longer there".
And no, I can't remember how I finished it.

This post has been edited by fromageGB: 2014-February-06, 04:48

#2 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-February-05, 08:25

Recommended auction on your sample hand:

2S Pass pass pass

The West hand is not a take-out double of 2S.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 08:36

I don't see the difference between the 2nd and the 3rd option in the first poll. I miss an option "natural, nonforcing but positive", i.e. what it means if 2NT is Lebensohl. Anyway, I bid 3 but if playing Lebensohl it is close to 2NT.

Agree with Frances, by the way.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 08:39

Agree with Helene (including agreeing with Frances).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 08:42

For us - (2)-2N (15-17)-P-P-P

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-05, 18:39

Is the third question about 2NT by West or East?

#7 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-February-06, 02:22

I would prefer 2NT over 2 rather than double. If I had three small spades instead of the K third, I'd pass.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-06, 04:46

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-February-05, 08:36, said:

I don't see the difference between the 2nd and the 3rd option in the first poll. I miss an option "natural, nonforcing but positive", i.e. what it means if 2NT is Lebensohl.

"3 to play" means "I have a longish club suit and I don't want you to bid"
"3 non-forcing but promising nothing other than some clubs" implies "playable in clubs, but probably also an unspecified elsewhere", as you would have for a Cansino 2 takeout of 1NT, for example.
This is close to what you mean, I think, but without a positive aspect. I shall change the wording.

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-06, 04:50

View Postbarmar, on 2014-February-05, 18:39, said:

Is the third question about 2NT by West or East?

East, ie the response to the takeout double.

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-February-06, 05:05

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-February-06, 04:46, said:

"3 to play" means "I have a longish club suit and I don't want you to bid"
"3 non-forcing but promising nothing other than some clubs" implies "playable in clubs, but probably also an unspecified elsewhere", as you would have for a Cansino 2 takeout of 1NT, for example.
This is close to what you mean, I think, but without a positive aspect. I shall change the wording.

Sounds like both meanings allow you to bid 3 with a yarb. If you play Lebensohl, 3 shows about 8-10 points.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-07, 02:01

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-February-06, 05:05, said:

Sounds like both meanings allow you to bid 3 with a yarb. If you play Lebensohl, 3 shows about 8-10 points.

Maybe. I intended the questions to distinguish between bidding 3 that says you have a long suit and want to play there, and 3 that says I can play here if you like, but by all means try somewhere else if you prefer. You can't have everything, and I was wondering what the common perception was. Both of these, I imagine, could be on a yarborough.

I thought I played Lebensohl, and as I played it, a bid of 2NT was a prelude to a weak takeout in a long suit. If I then bid 3 over the 3 I expected partner to pass. Conversely, if I bid a direct 3 this was forcing. How strong that needed to be depended on what your requirement was for a takeout X. Mine was no more than an opening hand 1444 shape ideally. Consequently I would not dream of bidding a forcing 3 on your 8-10 count. If your minimum requirement was for the doubler to have a 17 count, then of course you lower the forcing point. Or perhaps you have 3 as intermediate and some other bid for a forcing call?

But the weak hands seem to cater for only a responder with a long suit. What does he do with a balanced hand? I am beginning to think that it may be better to play a "playable suit scramble", and was hoping someone who has used it could comment.

I was also imagining that some people may play transfer responses, because that can be done with both weak and strong hands, and can handle shorter suits or long suits.

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-February-07, 02:55

3 is not forcing in Lebensohl, it is something like 8-10. I have never heard of anyone who played 3 as forcing.

With forcing hands you have different routes to 3NT. You can bid it directly, via 2NT, you can bid 3, or you can bid 2NT and then 3. In this way you can distinguish between hands with and without a spade stopper, and with or without four hearts. With long clubs you will just have to sell it as a gf hand without four hearts and without a heart stopper (if that is what you have).

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-07, 09:28

The main purpose of Lebensohl is to allow you to distinguish more ranges of responses: weak, constructive, invitational, and game forcing. Without it, you either have to lump constructive hands with weak and make a minimum response with both of them, or jump with both constructive and invitational hands (you can use cue bids for GF in both cases).

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-February-07, 09:52

It's worse than that, except for (2)-X-(pass)-3 you can't jump without being in game (or bypassing 3NT) so without lebensohl you (mostly) have only weak hands and GF hands.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-07, 10:21

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2014-February-05, 08:25, said:

Recommended auction on your sample hand:

2S Pass pass pass

The West hand is not a take-out double of 2S.

Where is the sample hand ?

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-07, 10:50

View PostMrAce, on 2014-February-07, 10:21, said:

Has been taken down. It was a 15hcp 3442 with Kxx as I recall.
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-07, 12:33

View PostMrAce, on 2014-February-07, 10:21, said:

As Zel said. The hand was distracting people from answering the question.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-07, 12:36

Ok thanks.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#19 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-09, 18:03

Sorry, I can't answer the first poll question unless you edit the options to include "Natural, constructive" or similar.

Even the second question might need an additional option. Playing Lebensohl, what would you bid after (2)-dbl-(Pass) holding:
8xxx 8xx Jxx AKQ?

#20 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-February-09, 20:15

Pass, hoping to defeat 2. Yes, I know we don't have any spade tricks, but he's going to have to draw four rounds of trumps, and we may well have most of the outside strength. The only alternative I can see is 3NT, showing a balanced hand and denying a spade stopper, but that's not really palatable, IMO.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users