BBO Discussion Forums: Effect of minimum wage laws on job growth - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Effect of minimum wage laws on job growth Do conservatives have this backwards?

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-05, 23:58

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-March-05, 16:58, said:

Minimum wage can destroy jobs, a department I used to work in (not on min wage, but most of the dept was) was disbanded and everybody made redundant with the jobs going to India instead. This was in response to a hike in the minimum wage (the second time Gordon Brown kicked me out of a job with a change in the rules). Clearly you can't flip burgers in India for the UK/US market, but you can do call centre or office jobs there, so it doesn't affect all industries equally.

You can't flip burgers in India at all, as far as I know. Something about religious restrictions on killing cows or eating beef.

Okay, soyburgers maybe. Yuck.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-06, 00:03

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-05, 23:58, said:

You can't flip burgers in India at all, as far as I know. Something about religious restrictions on killing cows or eating beef.

can a robot replace something...anything even a little... a lawyer does at some point?

a bridge partner?

can robots strike for more money at some point/ join a union?

marry/ raise children?

all of this is an effect of the minimum wage guys...

---

If you don't know there is a link between human wages and robots you are naïve.

#23 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-06, 00:20

1.)If you raise the minimum raise, you are just increasing the amount of mininum wage jobs.

By raising the minimum wage, you are hurting those people you intend to help by reducing spending power. This doesn't affect solid Middle Class or better, but anyone below that is hurt. For example, before I started classes this Spring, I was working 20 hours a week, making $8.755 an hour after two raises (not a typo). The minimum wage is $7.25, so I was pretty happy. If Obama had his way, I would be at $10.10, and back at minimum wage. In fact, a large number of people who are making between the current federal minimum and that $10.10 would be forced back to minimum wage.

To compensate for the rise in salaries, most companies will raise prices / reduce hours. Larger companies will do both, while smaller companies have to raise prices. They won't just stop to break even, they will cut back more than they need to to try and increase profit. So, prices will be based on the new $10.10 minimum wage, so I would expect an average increase of ~30%. Anyone over the minimum wage but under that $10.10 lost whatever hard work they put in to get above dirt. And the people making between $10 and $15 an hour have been majorly put down as well.

2.) People aren't supposed to live off of minimum wage.

Every job that I have held that has been close to or at the minimum wage are low to no skill jobs that anyone can do. Of course, I lived and am still living with my parents (not by choice, though they are great people), so it was mostly spending money. That's what the minimum wage is made for - younger people who aren't on their own.

3.) The standard of living varies greatly in different areas.

Like Ken said earlier, even cheaper/smaller houses in a place like San Francisco are hundreds of thousands. Compare that to my area, where housing is 2-3 times cheaper. I don't know particular facts, but I bet raising the federal minimum wage would do nothing for San Francisco. Local and State governments should have more information and knowledge on the situation, and therefore are much better suited for making these decisions. This leads me to my last point.

4.)If they can't get Medicaid/Medicare and the debt under control, instituted federal health care that costs a lot more and covers a lot less than before, the website for it was completely broken, my uncle couldn't get covered DESPITE meeting every guideline, and said health care is going to cost 2.5-3 million people their jobs (initial estimates were only 800,000 - 1 million), why should we trust them on this?

This isn't a Federal issue in my book. It just seems like a power grab, much like the health care debacle is. And if disagree with me on the health care issue, that this isn't an attempt to force more people under the government's control, then imho we have a bigger problem. Because then, both our Legislative and Executive branches will be proven to be incompetent, the already abysmal job approval rating of Congress will be proven to be too high, and after getting my next degree I'll have to move to New Zealand...

EDIT - I forgot to mention our tax code. Why can't we just institute a graduated tax of up to 25% based on earnings, and tax/audit 100% of anyone who has any holdings in the Cayman Islands?
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#24 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-06, 01:32

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-05, 23:58, said:

Probably use lamb as they do in many of the starters they serve in this country.

#25 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-06, 01:50

"By raising the minimum wage, you are hurting those people you intend to help by reducing spending power. This doesn't affect solid Middle Class or better,"

let us just start with your very very first sentence.

Innovation effects your very first sentence. Drive innovation you effect your first sentence.

If you don't think wages effect innovation ok....

I just don't think many posters understand what the word destructive means
I just don't think many posters understand what the word innovation means

This means upper middle class ...this means top class.

And yes wages effect all of this.....you seem to assume zero effect

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users