BBO Discussion Forums: Where is the outrage from religious moderates? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where is the outrage from religious moderates? Idaho Homopobia?

#101 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-May-29, 01:13

blackshoe, on 2014-May-28, 23:28, said:

I have no idea what this means. Can you explain?

Let's take English for example. I will also assume here that there is only one English dictionary out there and it is authoritative (this is already untrue but we don't even need conflicting definitions to get in trouble), and also that every word has only one meaning (this is not per se necessary but it makes my point easier to follow).

An axiomatic basis for English would be some words that are defined by something other than words. Maybe "tree" would be defined by a picture of a tree. I have no idea how many such (visual) aids you would need, I guess a lot of them. Because any word in English is defined by only other words in English, it has no basic, indisputable starting point.

OK let me show you what I mean: let's say I want to define length and I accept everything I see on www.dictionary.com. OK, off we go (taking definition number one):

length: the longest extent of anything as measured from end to end: the length of a river.

I already see the word "long" there which hints at circularity but let's say I look up extent.

extentthe space or degree to which a thing extends; length, area, volume, or scope: the extent of his lands; to be right to a certain extent.

Oops! Length is defined as an extent, extent is defined as a length (I've seen longer circles too of course but you can find circles no matter where you start form)! The point, of course, is that the dictionaries can do something for people who know the meanings of some words, but not all words, but they cannot provide anything for people who (pretend to) know no words at all. Of course you can have English-to-other language dictionaries in which you can take knowledge of that language for granted but in principle we could take all words written in all alphabets (with some sort of a system disambiguating homographs) and make a big dictionary linking them and you will always need to have some words that you already know if you are going to use it for anything.

Of course the whole point of any dictionary is that you are assumed to know at least some words. It is also a very good idea not to have any prescribed "required words" in the vocabulary. Let's say the word "cat" is assumed to be known by everyone. What if someone by some freak accident never heard it or for some strange reason forgot it? Why can't he look up the word? It's impossible to be prevent all such cases, so it makes sense to just define all words, even the simple ones, with the help of other words, even if that leads to circularity.

What about something that does have axiomatic basis? The Peano axioms are perhaps the most famous:

Peano said:

1. 0 is a natural number.
2. For every natural number x, x = x. That is, equality is reflexive.
3. For all natural numbers x and y, if x = y, then y = x. That is, equality is symmetric.
4. For all natural numbers x, y and z, if x = y and y = z, then x = z. That is, equality is transitive.
5. For all a and b, if a is a natural number and a = b, then b is also a natural number. That is, the natural numbers are closed under equality.
6. For every natural number n, S(n) is a natural number. {S(n) is the successor function, i.e. S(n)=n+1}
7. For every natural number n, S(n) = 0 is false. That is, there is no natural number whose successor is 0.
8. For all natural numbers m and n, if S(m) = S(n), then m = n. That is, S is an injection.
9. If K is a set such that:
* 0 is in K, and
* for every natural number n, if n is in K, then S(n) is in K,
then K contains every natural number.

If I'm trying to understand a discussion between two very patient mathematicians on natural numbers, and I ask them repeatedly questions like "Yes but why?" "How do you know that?" "What exactly do you mean?" If they are very, very patient, then they can lead me to these 9 axioms through a lot of different steps and I can get back to their high-level theory if I care to. However, they will never answer questions like "yes but why is y=x if x=y?" They will just shrug and will probably ignore my question from that point on. That is assumed to be true. Luckily for us, in this case, the axioms are quite easy to understand and are intuitively acceptable. Certainly if you say "Johnny is the president of the club" and "the president of the club is Johnny," it takes little suspension of disbelief to accept both as equivalent statements. So in this case you cannot say that natural number as a concept is undefined, or it is circular, well, in a way it is, everything is circular, but the mathematicians did the best they could by isolating and naming the axioms necessary to make the rest of it non-circular. There is no such mechanism for language. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Most sciences have likewise no axiomatic basis, including physics. In fact, mathematicians asked for clean, noncontradictory axioms in physics for more than 100 years:
http://aleph0.clarku...t/problems.html check out number 6.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#102 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-29, 01:33

gwnn, on 2014-May-27, 01:43, said:

I can't find any. Can you help?

I said already that it is a slippery concept. Any one definition will likely lead to strange exceptions. It is more a case of "know it when you see it." A rock is not conscious. An amoeba likewise not. Humans are, for the most part. Cats? Whales? 2-year olds? Who knows? That will necessitate a detailed discussion and careful definition of our terms.

You are incorrect on both counts that I don't provide a definition or a measurement (when you quote my 100-word post). I gave a dictionary definition that I said I consider to be a good starting point and for the measurement I gave you the Glasgow Coma Scale which is widely used by doctors worldwide, as far as I know.

Cons... might simply depend on quantum computations is one discussion.

----

Cons. may simply be how we pass from onemoment to the next and we are merely paraphrasing the flow of time.

-----
Copenhagan interpretation, one state of cons....becomes real, the rest are only possibilities
------------------

You may wish to read some of Tipler
-------

Granted I only show you a few examples but if you take the time you will find many many more.

-----

You can read Deutsch or Penrose for more on this.

#103 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-May-29, 01:38

"It might simply depend on" is not the same as "it does not exist."
      George Carlin

#104 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-29, 01:47

to repeat I simply skip over the entire issue of whether it exists or not. I don't know.

When I discussed the singularity I skip over the entire issue of whether computers can have a conscious or be self aware. I don't know since I don't know the definition or how to measure and compare it. I don't know if they exist. I guess they may exist as more evidence comes in...fair enough.

If you do know and know how to compare and contrast them in some standard accepted way ...great.

#105 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-29, 02:28

In any event if you want to say that morality is based on something that may or may not exist ...ok.

Be that cons, or self awareness or supernatural or social constructs based on whatever....

Be that morality is always relative or if evil true evil exits in some absolute term or form as does love and grace

#106 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-May-29, 02:49

mike777, OK, well that was the whole topic of conversation, but if you want to skip over it, that's also fine. I said that the existence of consciousness is not contentious, you said it was and brought up some people who clearly think it exists. Have a nice day.
      George Carlin

#107 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-29, 11:01

As I mentioned those I cited are not sure, not that they claim it exists or does not and if it does how do you define and measure it.

You may wish to check out Daniel Dennett and his theory Consciousness Explained and his books. Critics call it Consciousness Denied.

In discussing consciousness or free will and meaning one puzzle is something called qualia or quale, meaning the subjective aspect of sensations. The sensation of seeing the color blue is called a quale.

Dennett argues that qualia do not exist. He calls it a mistaken belief.

In any event qualia are currently neither describable nor predictable that makes them deeply problematic to those with a scientific view or philosophers who worry about it. We seem to have them but it seems impossible to describe what they may be.

A puzzle but puzzles and problems are solvable.

If consciousness does exist and it proves to be a computational task, in other words if we can program it, we understand it, will computers become self aware with meaning and a conscious? Will they create a society or create morality or will their behavior be separate from a mind?

#108 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-May-29, 11:21

mike777, on 2014-May-29, 11:01, said:

As I mentioned those I cited are not sure, not that they claim it exists or does not and if it does how do you define and measure it.

You may wish to check out Daniel Dennett and his theory Consciousness Explained and his books. Critics call it Consciousness Denied.

In discussing consciousness or free will and meaning one puzzle is something called qualia or quale, meaning the subjective aspect of sensations. The sensation of seeing the color blue is called a quale.

In any event qualia are currently neither describable nor predictable that makes them deeply problematic to those with a scientific view or philosophers who worry about it. We seem to have them but it seems impossible to describe what they may be.

If consciousness does exist and it proves to be a computational task, in other words if we can program it, we understand it, will computers become self aware with meaning and a conscious?

What leads you to a conclusion that self awareness has anything to do with meaning?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#109 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-May-29, 11:44

mike777, on 2014-May-29, 11:01, said:

I read and referred to Dan Dennett already upthread. He denies the concept of "phenomenal consciousness," not consciousness in general (qualia are the basic building blocks of phenomenal consciousness). I find his arguments convincing, but I admit that I did not read his biggest critics.

If consciousness does exist and it proves to be a computational task, in other words if we can program it, we understand it, will computers become self aware with meaning and a conscious? Will they create a society or create morality or will their behavior be separate from a mind?

I don't find the question of "is our consciousness made of fairy-dust or is it something that we may one day understand?" very intriguing. I do think computers will become one day conscious. I don't think that is as alarming as people seem to make it out to be. I also don't think it will cause the famous singularity you sometimes refer to. I think consciousness is not a black-and-white issue. There will be computers that are "as conscious" as humans, but also computers who have a tiny amount of consciousness like a small bird or something along those lines. I think computers are not there yet right now. But I think people who think computers can never be conscious or feel the expression "oh so your brain is just like a computer??" proves that neuroscience is a non-starter are just introducing a magical element to our subjective experience that has not been proven to be there.
      George Carlin

#110 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-May-29, 17:03

gwnn, on 2014-May-29, 01:13, said:

An axiomatic basis for English would be some words that are defined by something other than words. Maybe "tree" would be defined by a picture of a tree. I have no idea how many such (visual) aids you would need, I guess a lot of them. Because any word in English is defined by only other words in English, it has no basic, indisputable starting point.

Hm. My first thought when I read "axiomatic basis" was of Loglan, but that doesn't meet your criterion either. I do not think it's possible to devise a language with an axiomatic basis, then. Not one that could be used in day-to-day life, anyway. Nor do I think it would be possible to find any natural language with such a basis. It just wouldn't happen.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#111 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-May-29, 18:52

IMO
  • An entity is conscious if it embodies a dynamic model of reality, with itself as a distinct complete feature with parts that can interact with the rest of the model. (Under that interpretation, you can program a computer to be conscious and consciousness is no big deal).
  • The meaning of a word is the set of semantic contexts of the word. (That definition is a bit circular and "Chinese-room" but if you accept it then Google-Translate knows the meaning of many words).

#112 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-30, 00:05

At the very least if you can program consciousness you understand it. But I still think consciousness is a big deal.

If computers can form a society, have morality, define and behave right from wrong, or however you prefer to define and measure it. For me that is a big deal for computers.

If computers can be creative, creative in some generally accepted usage of the word, that would be a big deal.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users