• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Response to splinter

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-14, 12:21

MP, best hand south, adv gib 30

Not sure about this one, because I probably take most of the blame, having a far more powerful hand than GIB expects

Even so, GIB I think should show more interest than just a passive 4H.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-14, 18:33

It is a normal auction only with 11hcp and yarborough suit.
I think this is a problem on bidding system.I have to say direct splinter at four level is not a good bidding style in fact since this bid can destroy too many space ,so players always have no more space to explore potential slam.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-14, 20:05

Sorry but I strongly disagree with that. "11hcp and yarborough suit" does not come close to describing the power and potential of the North hand. A 10th trump, no wasted Club values, zero potential losers in the other suits are also relevant.

South's poor bidding unfortunately obscures the problem. Give South:

S:xxxxx
H:AKxx
D:Qxx
C:X

And South is now arguably borderline too weak for 4C and 6H is still a shoe-in.

North has an opportunity to cue bid below game. 4D does not commit beyond 4H, and yet I cannot construct a hand consistent with a REASONABLE 4C in which from North's perspective, 5H is at risk, especially if you give South a hand worth bypassing 4H over North's 4D.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-14, 23:07

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-June-14, 20:05, said:

Sorry but I strongly disagree with that. "11hcp and yarborough suit" does not come close to describing the power and potential of the North hand. A 10th trump, no wasted Club values, zero potential losers in the other suits are also relevant.

South's poor bidding unfortunately obscures the problem. Give South:

C:X

And South is now arguably borderline too weak for 4C and 6H is still a shoe-in.

North has an opportunity to cue bid below game. 4D does not commit beyond 4H, and yet I cannot construct a hand consistent with a REASONABLE 4C in which from North's perspective, 5H is at risk, especially if you give South a hand worth bypassing 4H over North's 4D.

I know it is a great pity that you lost slam,

If you would like to use some common conventions so as to make bidding precisely,this is impossible,you will get more and more disappointed,we should say the robot is only an assisting tool -- the popularization of the lover, instead of specific regular partner,always!
After 4 splinter,we should say that is not a 4 bid which can prefectly solve all of the slam problems.

This is the accuracy of bidding system.
No matter what the result is good or bad, we need to accept it openly.
If wanna bidding precisely,we can play some concealed splinter - modern bidding tools,it will be better to solve most of these problems.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 10:56

IMO it is clear to jump shift with the S hand. Likely auction 1H-2S-3H-4C! showing primary H support and C shortness.

If GIB doesn't bid 4D or something other than 4H over that, we do have a problem.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-16, 11:58

View Postiandayre, on 2014-June-16, 10:56, said:

IMO it is clear to jump shift with the S hand.

You would jump shift with the South hand on

C:x

?

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-16, 12:23

View Postiandayre, on 2014-June-16, 10:56, said:

IMO it is clear to jump shift with the S hand.

Yes, it is true that South's hand fits the specified definition of a Soloway Jump Shift:

GIB System Notes said:

Soloway Jump Shifts

GIB plays Soloway Strong Jump Shifts by an unpassed hand in uncontested auctions. A jump shift shows one of the following types of hands:
<snip>
4.Rebiddable suit, 17+ total points, 4+ controls [A=2, K=1], 4-card support for opener's suit

However, (a) OP accepted blame for underbidding (in two separate posts above), and (b) since this is the GIB Forum, the conversation should be about whether GIB, upon hearing whatever he heard from his partner, bid the way he should have. Therefore, the question here is whether North, upon hearing partner splinter in clubs, should have bid 4 instead of 4. Imho, OP is correct that he should have.

#8 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 15:49

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-June-16, 11:58, said:

You would jump shift with the South hand on

C:x

?

#9 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 15:52

Of course not. I don't disagree with your point that GIB should cue 4D with the actual hand.

And I'll thank BBradley for posting as he chooses and not trying to tell me what I should or should not post.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users