• You cannot reply to this topic

Finesse D?

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-01, 05:13

MP's

Small lead for Q and A.
Is it best to finesse OR play A and hope for K singleton or 3-3?

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-November-01, 06:11

I would've thought Ace diamond better but just a gut feeling
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-01, 06:24

It's better to finesse J by quite a bit.
Give yourself J and it's a lot closer though I think I might still finesse.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 06:26

Finesse is right of course

You can try to drop K and if it does not drop you can try for 3-3 hearts (assume you played a dia and LHO followed small)

Dropping K is % 13
3-3 is % 38
Combined chance are % 33 (is this true? It's been long time Posted Image)

Finesse is % 37 for the relevant cards (I do not count K stiff onside)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-01, 06:34

wanoff, on 2014-November-01, 06:24, said:

It's better to finesse J by quite a bit.
Give yourself J and it's a lot closer though I think I might still finesse.

J changes much more than you think. After K did not drop you are not only making on 3-3 hearts but any heart split as long as the last trump hand holds longer hearts.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-01, 06:48

I think I overlooked the fact that in the case of 3-0 trump break, 3-3 hearts won't help. So Wanoff may as well be correct that even with J, finnesse can be right. I am sure one of our math guys/gals will tell the precise % for it.

#7 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 08:30

The finesse is the better option 50% vs 45%.

The win chance playing for drop is given by:

26% (chance of singleton king)
and
52% (chance of Kx in either hand) * 36%* (chance of 3/3 hearts).

You might also get a slight extra chance if trumps are 3-0 and they don't cash the As

-----

If you also had the J then your chance of playing for the singleton would also pickup 4/2 5/1 6/0 hearts with 2/1 trumps.
This swings the odd significantly

26% + 52% * 63.5% (chance of 3+ hearts with the long diamonds) = 59%

#8 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 11:07

Thanks you all for the answers.
I didn't matter in this deal because both finesse worked & Hearts 3-3, but I was curious what was the best line.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-03, 15:23

WesleyC, on 2014-November-03, 08:30, said:

and

You might also get a slight extra chance if trumps are 3-0 and they don't cash the As

-----

If you also had the J then your chance of playing for the singleton would also pickup 4/2 5/1 6/0 hearts with 2/1 trumps.

Isn't it a mistake to add K stiff onside? Because we already played a dia towards dummy and saw LHO can not have a stiff K.

#10 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 20:56

MrAce, on 2014-November-03, 15:23, said:

Isn't it a mistake to add K stiff onside? Because we already played a dia towards dummy and saw LHO can not have a stiff K.

My solution essentially looked at all the possible layouts before any cards have been played at all and then worked out on how many of those layouts each strategy was going to succeed. This is usually called the 'a priori' chance. In this example Stiff King onside is included as a win for both strategies and Kxx offside is included as a loss.

You could calculate the chance of success at a different point (e.g. after LHO has followed low to the first diamond or after you dropped the Stiff King dropped offside). At this point some possibilities have been eliminated and the chance of success might be different, but when comparing a simple strategy like drop vs finesse that can't be varied, you won't get a more meaningful answer.

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-03, 21:36

kgr, on 2014-November-01, 05:13, said:

MP's Small lead for Q and A. Is it best to finesse OR play A and hope for K singleton or 3-3?
WesleyC seems correct..
  • Running J works when LHO has K = about 50%.
  • Cashing A works when K is singleton or (K is doubleton and are 3-3) = 26% + (52% * 36%) = about 45%

#12 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-04, 04:19

Thank you all for the answers!

WesleyC, on 2014-November-03, 08:30, said:

and

-----

After the lead the probability that LHO has K will be higher than 50% because he didn't lead .
Maybe even enough to still finesse if we would have J

#13 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-04, 04:59

MrAce, on 2014-November-03, 15:23, said:

That's partly balanced by West not showing out. The finesse is slightly odds against. And it's worst against a very weak defender, who might cover the J with KTx.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-04, 05:16

PhilKing, on 2014-November-04, 04:59, said:

That's partly balanced by West not showing out. The finesse is slightly odds against. And it's worst against a very weak defender, who might cover the J with KTx.

I assume you are talking about when we hold J

#15 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-04, 09:48

PhilKing hints at another amusing wrinkle. Suppose that you are missing KT9, playing 6 on a lead. Now the finesse is inferior...
- The finesse wins when LHO has: singleton K, doubleton Kx, or (KT9 and 3 s) = 13% + 26% + (11% * 36%) = about 43%
- Cashing A wins when K is singleton or when (Kx is doubleton and are 3-3) = 26% + (52% + 36%) = about 45%.
- Even when intending to cash A, you should still lead J from hand, in case LHO makes the mistake of covering with KT9 and 3 s. If LHO would cover to preserve his trump trick, that increases your odds to about 49%.

#16 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-04, 10:03

MrAce, on 2014-November-04, 05:16, said:

I assume you are talking about when we hold J

I just mean that the finesse is slightly worse than 50% - I was not comparing the two lines. They are probably close enough that you need to be at the table to decide whether to try the combo play.

#17 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-November-04, 10:30

I don't know how you can conclude the diamond finesse is slightly odds against. West might have led a spade if the diamond finesse was losing; certainly if he is looking at the ace of spades he should, so I think the diamond finesse is a favourite if anything. The chances of stiff king of diamonds or hearts 3-3 and diamonds 2-1 seems to be around 43% anyway, so this one does not look close.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-04, 10:48

lamford, on 2014-November-04, 10:30, said:

I don't know how you can conclude the diamond finesse is slightly odds against. West might have led a spade if the diamond finesse was losing; certainly if he is looking at the ace of spades he should, so I think the diamond finesse is a favourite if anything. The chances of stiff king of diamonds or hearts 3-3 and diamonds 2-1 seems to be around 43% anyway, so this one does not look close.

Why do you think W knew the location of A? If anything, he would think that S is more likely to have it, thus he would have cashed spade A if he had it + K, no?

#19 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-04, 10:50

Please let me know if below calculation is not correct:

After having played a small Diamond and West follows with D2.
KT2 - 11 11
KT 2 13
K2 T 13 13
K T2 13
T2 K 13 13
T K2 13
2 KT 13 13
- KT2 11

Only the possibilities with West having D2 are still valid.
This gives:

For playing the DA:
- East single DK: 26%
- East T singleton or KT Doubleton: 52% ; with H 3-3: 52%*36%=19%
=> 45%

For Finesse:
- West DK2: 26%
- West DKT2: 11% ; with H 3-3: 11%*36%=8%
=> 34%
What is wrong with this..or is playing DA better anyway?

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-04, 11:05

kgr, on 2014-November-04, 10:50, said:

Please let me know if below calculation is not correct:

After having played a small Diamond and West follows with D2.
KT2 - 11 11
KT 2 13
K2 T 13 13
K T2 13
T2 K 13 13
T K2 13
2 KT 13 13
- KT2 11

Only the possibilities with West having D2 are still valid.
This gives:

For playing the DA:
- East single DK: 26%
- East T singleton or KT Doubleton: 52% ; with H 3-3: 52%*36%=19%
=> 45%

For Finesse:
- West DK2: 26%
- West DKT2: 11% ; with H 3-3: 11%*36%=8%
=> 34%
What is wrong with this..or is playing DA better anyway?

First of all you need to start J, not small. It won't cost anything, but As Phil said someone may cover from KTx.
2nd, E holding stiff K is not % 26, it is % 13

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users