• You cannot reply to this topic

Question

#1 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2014-November-10, 01:19

We had a heated discussion last week. You play cuebid as INV+ with 3 card fit, 2NT as INV+ with 4 card fit, support doubles,...; the usual stuff. What do the following bids mean regarding strength and length:

"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 01:30

View PostFree, on 2014-November-10, 01:19, said:

We had a heated discussion last week. You play cuebid as INV+ with 3 card fit, 2NT as INV+ with 4 card fit, support doubles,...; the usual stuff. What do the following bids mean regarding strength and length:

1. This should be extras/desire to penalize; unusual vs. unusual should take precedence over support doubles.
2. 4, fairly min. Many other calls are available as stronger raises here.
3. 3, short spades, extras. Not a "simple" support double (they don't go this high).
4. 4, enough to accept an invite (a max weak NT is fine).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-10, 04:02

1. 3+ hearts, normal raise
2. 4 hearts, some extras (unless 2NT covers this hand)
3. 5+ clubs, 4(+) diamonds, 0-2 spades, 2-3 hearts. Should have some extras too.
4. 4 hearts, extras

3 and 4 also depends on what 2NT would mean (Good/Bad seems valid as a candidate)

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-10, 10:12

#1 ...AWM's suggestion of U/U and penalty suggestion is our preference.
#3....Would like to reserve the Double to strongly suggest my RHO has made a mistake, especially at the colors given.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-November-12, 02:18

#1 Either Top Honor, or interest in penalty, you need to decide
#2 to play, fit, nothing else, you have 2S and other bids to make some noise
In the end it comes down to the meaning of 2NT, if you play Lebensohl / Good Bad, than the raises show fit and
add. values.

#3 If agreed, this could be a suppX situation, showing add. values, we play it as T/O, which is quite similar
#4 to play
In the end it comes down to the meaning of 2NT, if you play Lebensohl / Good Bad, than the raises show fit and
add. values.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-12, 02:48

1- Definitely 3 card for me. It is important to mention your 3 card fit when they show 2 suiter. Not much you can do if their fit is in spades but if E bids 3 responder will not now when to bid 3 or 4 lacking the information about how many hearts opener has. Opener can punish them by passing 2 and then doubling if he wants to. I will not spare an important bid for penalty purposes especially when they get in red/white in front of opener.

2 and 4 - These are same for me. Opener has either a minimum unbalanced hand with 4 card support, or semi balanced hand with a little extra (14-15 2425 unless you are always opening these 1 NT)

3-This may vary depending on your agreements, such as 'good-bad' 2 NT was available or not. I do not have strong opinion on this one.

Extra: In #1 (and partly in #2) there is a lot to be said about the cues by opener. (2 or 3)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users