Posted 2015-March-09, 19:12

BBO forum,

N-S Vul

West holds the following hand:

S. AKQJ7
H. A
D. J6532
C. KT

East is the dealer and the bidding goes.

E S W N
p 1H ?

Should west bid 2 Hearts showing Spades and an undisclosed minor
or double with the "Big Double"?

Jerry D

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-10, 05:01

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-10, 05:06

There are a lot of posters I'd love to ask what a que bid is.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-10, 05:24

View PostVampyr, on 2015-March-10, 05:06, said:

There are a lot of posters I'd love to ask what a que bid is.

It's a Spanish convention used to mean "I didn't understand your previous call". :)

ahydra

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-10, 05:35

View Postahydra, on 2015-March-10, 05:24, said:

It's a Spanish convention used to mean "I didn't understand your previous call". :)

Yes, I was thinking something along those lines...

Anyway I like space-consuming bids to be pure, so I wouldn't cue bid with this hand.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-10, 06:00

With the suit quality disparity and short suit honors, I also consider 1. But I do think it is too strong for that, so I will choose 2. If I double it will end up sounding like a strong one suiter, and we could lose the diamonds entirely.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-10, 06:24

View Postbillw55, on 2015-March-10, 06:00, said:

With the suit quality disparity and short suit honors, I also consider 1. But I do think it is too strong for that, so I will choose 2. If I double it will end up sounding like a strong one suiter, and we could lose the diamonds entirely.

I am comfortable with the risk of getting the dummy when I overcall 1.

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-March-10, 11:23

Doubling on a 5-5 (12) is generally a no-no, but if I did, it would look a lot like this - strong five card major, weak five card minor and a doubleton honor.

All there's left to do is argue about strength.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-March-10, 11:29

I'm a 1 bidder also.

Although you've got extras, the suit is just too poor to Michaels IMO.

#10 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-10, 11:45

1 for me, and not at all ashamed.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#11 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-10, 20:07

View Postjerdonald, on 2015-March-09, 19:12, said:

Should west bid 2 Hearts showing Spades and an undisclosed minor or double with the "Big Double"?

It depends on what you agreed with your partner. If you are the guys who play 2 as either weak or very strong, that's a perfect bid. Otherwise I'd rate the hand too strong for Michaels.

I would double, and if partner bids , change to . This does not describe my hand well but will probably lead us to the right contract. Bidding and planning a rebid is the way to describe the shape but I doubt I will be able to describe the strength in that way.

#12 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-10, 20:10

So a bunch of people are opting to overcall 1S with an 18 count that includes 5 solid and 5-5 and prime values as opposed to bidding 2H which shows 5-5? Consider my mind blown.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-11, 06:55

View Postbillw55, on 2015-March-10, 06:00, said:

What would you do with 5242 shape and 7.5 PTs? Something like AKQJ7 32 AQT5 K6. Are you still worried about losing the diamonds (after X) or being too strong (for 1)?

Given the weak diamonds, it seems to me reasonable to treat both of these hands the same way whatever that happens to be. That would bring X and bid back into the picture for many pairs. Despite the modern trend, this is too strong for 1 by me as well, so the discussion seems to me to revolve around whether to treat this diamond suit as a real 5 bagger or downgrade it to a good 4. Despite Justin's post arguing the former course, I am personally stil leaning towards the latter, so am hoping for some further input on this from other posters.
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-11, 07:58

Zel, I guess the question is what can be gained or lost. Michaels can gain if 3NT is down with 5 making - say if partner can provide HHx or Hxxx but nothing in hearts. 3NT can easily go down: I can't hold up, opener obviously has entries anyway, and I don't expect nine cashers very often.

Against that, showing 55 leaks information on the way to 3NT or 4. How often that will matter, I can't be sure, but it certainly seems nontrivial.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-11, 09:40

I think it is a little more complicated than that bill. Think about the likely auction. After 2 there is a strong chance partner will continue 3 (p/c). Over that we presumably bid 3 to show a strong hand with diamonds. This does not leave a great deal of space left over to explore 3NT. After a double, partner's most likely call is 2 of a minor. Now 2 is a less complete picture but provides more space. If we subsequently get to bid 3 we are surely better off, not to mentione when partner has a bust and we get to stop low. Against that, partner might advance the double with something like 3 and now we are probably worse off. As I wrote before, my instinct is that the good auctions for X against 2 outweigh the bad ones but I sense the opportunity to learn something here and hope the "senior" posters will chip on on this some more.
(-: Zel :-)

#16 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-March-11, 10:01

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-March-10, 20:10, said:

So a bunch of people are opting to overcall 1S with an 18 count that includes 5 solid and 5-5 and prime values as opposed to bidding 2H which shows 5-5? Consider my mind blown.

I think the real question is what one plans to do after the Michael's Cue bid. I assume that if we choose 2, which gets my vote (narrowly), we are planning on raising 2 to 3. What are we planning to do over 2N? Again, I assume we intend to do something to show strength.

What I am not clear on is what that would be. We seem to have several possibilities, and I suspect that you have more nuanced agreements than I do :D Would we be thinking of a strength-showing but otherwise ambiguous 3? Would we be bidding 4, and giving up on 3N?

It is the ambiguity of later action that most suggests not using the cuebid. I wouldn't, however, bid 1 as my second choice....this is too strong a playing hand to do that, even tho I am a kokish-style overcaller, unafraid of a heavy point count.

To me, the cuebid shows the shape and I can usually show the strength next round, so I get to show my hand reasonably well in two bids. Even if they pre-empt, I can double.

If I overcall, I get to show spades, but it may well end the auction and/or lead to an auction in which I can't show both diamonds and strength...imagine 3 on my left passed back to me.

If I double, again I may be unable to show all 3 of my features...indeed, and may well lose the diamond suit entirely plus suggest more spades than I hold.

So I cuebid and hope that things work out.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-11, 10:18

I overcall 1, but my overcalls are much sounder than most peoples', we won't miss game if it's on barring partner holding something wholly exceptional like QJxxxxx and a stiff diamond.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users