Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gib don't observe the discipline

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 01:41

As we know that the responder usually invites game with 9hcp after opening 1nt,however for this hand,Gib W invites game only with 7hcp,don't know the resons.

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 05:37

It's reasonable. The 6 cd club suit makes up for the lack of HCP. If you have a 4-4 heart fit definitely want to be in game IMO. Without a 4-4 heart fit, if clubs run 3nt will make a fair amount of the time. That's worth the risk of being overboard occasionally when there aren't enough tricks in 2nt/3nt.

#3 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-April-02, 06:55

Stephen Tu, on 2015-April-02, 05:37, said:

It's reasonable. The 6 cd club suit makes up for the lack of HCP. If you have a 4-4 heart fit definitely want to be in game IMO. Without a 4-4 heart fit, if clubs run 3nt will make a fair amount of the time. That's worth the risk of being overboard occasionally when there aren't enough tricks in 2nt/3nt.

I have different opinions.
I think Gib don't play that style what you said.
Gib value approach is only to add short points,it never add length points.
So Gib is unable to deal well with this kind of hands.

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 10:41

lycier, on 2015-April-02, 06:55, said:

I have different opinions.
I think Gib don't play that style what you said.
Gib value approach is only to add short points,it never add length points.
So Gib is unable to deal well with this kind of hands.

While I agree GIB's evaluation algorithm needs to be tweaked, I don't understand your point. You would prefer GIB be changed to pass this hand over 1nt? To me, even if it arrived at its decision in a roundabout way, I think it's normal to try 2 and 2nt, IMO it "dealt well" with this hand. If my human partner chose to do this, I would find it unremarkable that he chose to move over 1nt. Next time you might have Ax AQxx Qxx Axxx and failure to move misses 4.

There's no perfect way to handle this hand, absent some system that allows for say transfer bids after 2 to sign off in 3 (decidedly non-std, not really something GIB ought to be doing). I think 2 followed by 2nt is normal.

#5 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-April-02, 11:02

Stephen Tu, on 2015-April-02, 10:41, said:

While I agree GIB's evaluation algorithm needs to be tweaked, I don't understand your point. You would prefer GIB be changed to pass this hand over 1nt? To me, even if it arrived at its decision in a roundabout way, I think it's normal to try 2 and 2nt, IMO it "dealt well" with this hand. If my human partner chose to do this, I would find it unremarkable that he chose to move over 1nt. Next time you might have Ax AQxx Qxx Axxx and failure to move misses 4.

There's no perfect way to handle this hand, absent some system that allows for say transfer bids after 2 to sign off in 3 (decidedly non-std, not really something GIB ought to be doing). I think 2 followed by 2nt is normal.

If fact,I usually accept all of Gib invitations since almost of invitations usually promise exact 9hcp,so I could get more in general.
Such a thing with less than 8hcp is rare,indeed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users