BBO Discussion Forums: Gibs may be unable to find its major fit in competition. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibs may be unable to find its major fit in competition.

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-02, 02:12

Don't care the result including scoring.

Gibs play "up the line ".
It seems that it is a normal result for both of Gib E and Gib W get 4 contract,however this is Gibs wishful thinking !
Please you would look down.

Three hands above showed that Gibs are unable to find its major fit in competition on the current system with up-the-line responding.
Any idea?

Disclaimer: I don't complain and also don't be malicious demeaning to others since my Englshi is poor.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 05:15

Your post implies that the source of E/W woes lies entirely with East's 1D response contrasted with your preferred 1H response.

I feel that some blame should be shared by West's choice of 2C where I think X would have been better.

That said, 3SX collects 500, and it is not unreasonable to claim that in preference to bidding a speculative 4H even if a Heart fit is found. Perhaps the failure to find the X on the final hand is a mistake by East.

You prefix your post with "Don't care the result including scoring". And yet the result and scoring are integral to whether or not it costs to miss the Heart fit.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 08:26

If one plays up the line bidding, one is supposed to play 1-1-(1)-dbl as showing hearts. Perhaps GIB plays it as support here which is a mistake and should be corrected if so.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-02, 09:46

This is not a GIB issue. This is a system issue. Most people respond their major and by pass 1 for a reason, with hands that are less than gf values. And the reason for this is exactly the competition.
GIB is programmed to play an "up the line" response system and support doubles. So what? We all can live with it.

This is like complaining about a spot on the hood of a vehicle, when there are very serious problems with this car, which makes a fun and safe driving impossible!
  • This vehicle has an "owner's manual" of another vehicle, which is probably not even a car but a motorcycle! (explanations of its own bids)
  • This vehicle has a serious "signal" problem that makes staying in defense a nightmare. I mean everything we do in defense is a toss of a coin. This is why everyone is trying to hog the hand at all costs and avoid defending. Just a simple proper count of suits in defense would help a lot. Since declarer GIB is playing double dummy most of the time anyway. Defending a contract can actually be as fun as declaring once you have something in your hand that you can rely on. It won't even recognize the suit preference when we give GIB a ruff in defense. In defense, we basically watch the cards as if we are watching a "tennis match" Our head turns to the left and to the right and to the left and to the right...watching declarer GIB and pd GIB making fun of you. Such as you start AK and pd GIB follows 2 and 8 from doubleton, sometimes 8 and 2 from same doubleton, you have no idea if it is gonna ruff or not to the 3rd. I do not mind GIB not giving count to each other when I am declaring.
  • This vehicle has a serious "fuel gauge/tank" problem and will leave you in the middle of nowhere. (When you bid 2 suit, instead of returning to your first suit, it will just pass and let you play to your 4-2 4-1 3-1 fits.
  • This vehicle has serious "brake" problems. You can not bid 3 NT over a preempt. You can not save over their game. It will react like a bull in the China Town! Gets delusional and places you with 35+ hcp!

I will be more than happy and satisfied if these basic problems are solved. Even with just a couple of them. I personally do not care whether GIB plays walsh, xyz, gerber or blackwood, stayman or puppet. Whether it plays negative doubles over NT or not.

Main Changes:
Added/improved many rules for takeout doubles and continuations.
Improved GIB's ability to choose between minor or major suits after a 2 level opening or overcall, including unusual NT.
Improved rules on penalty and support redoubles.
After partner gives a limit raise, GIB will now refrain from bidding to an illogical level.
Made GIB smarter after the 1NT - Stayman - 2 Major - 3 Other Major sequence. GIB should now differentiate better between game and slam interest hand types.
Improved GIB's weak 2 opening bids.
GIB will now bid unusual 1NT more often.
GIB will now bid according to the LAW (of total tricks, by LC) more often.
Some alerts were buggy. For instance, sometimes gives wrong explanation of suit lengths. These are now fixed.
Added some rules to help GIB bid when his opponent overcall competitively.
Fixed a bug where GIB was not recalculating points after a passed hand doubles, then bids a suit. GIB now knows about this trick, so watch out tourney players!
Improved the Lebensohl 2NT sequence.
Fixed a bug where after 1 Major - 1NT - 2 Major, if a takeout X was made, GIB raised with an inappropriate hand.
After a 1NT rebid by partner, if GIB holds 7+ in major and max invite values (ie, unbalanced hand), it will now bid game instead of only invite.
Adjusted GIB's hand evaluation and bidding after a strong 3NT opening.
Adjusted GIB's hand evaluation for quantitative 4NT invite.
Improved 1NT - Minor stayman points/hand evaluation and continuations.
Added new rules to handle minor suit opening followed by a reverse. GIB now uses Lebensohl to show a weak responding hand.
Improved the Fourth suit forcing auction rules.
Improved GIB's cuebidding logic.
Improved GIB's 1NT - 3NT raise bidding logic.
Improved GIB's Cappelletti bidding logic.
Some other bug fixes and tweaks.

All these are window dressing compared to the ones I wrote. They are like "power windows, tilted windshield, noisy exhaust pipe, side mirror heaters, heated seats, leather seats, automatic transmission, remote keys...." I can go from point A to point B without those safely. I can not do that with the serious problems I have listed.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-May-02, 14:20

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-May-02, 05:15, said:

I feel that some blame should be shared by West's choice of 2C where I think X would have been better.

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-May-02, 08:26, said:

If one plays up the line bidding, one is supposed to play 1-1-(1)-dbl as showing hearts. Perhaps GIB plays it as support here which is a mistake and should be corrected if so.

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-02, 09:46, said:

This is not a GIB issue. This is a system issue. Most people respond their major and by pass 1 for a reason, with hands that are less than gf values. And the reason for this is exactly the competition.
GIB is programmed to play an "up the line" response system and support doubles. So what? We all can live with it.

Either there is an internal inconsistency in GIB's system, or this is a GIB issue because he didn't follow his system; it's not clear to me which. Note that the explanation of 2 includes "3-".

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-02, 18:59

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-May-02, 14:20, said:

Either there is an internal inconsistency in GIB's system, or this is a GIB issue because he didn't follow his system; it's not clear to me which. Note that the explanation of 2 includes "3-".

I was referring to up the line responses. 1 response (up the line) is systematic. I tried to make a similar example for the explanation of 2 in my previous post.

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-02, 09:46, said:

This vehicle has an "owner's manual" of another vehicle, which is probably not even a car but a motorcycle! (explanations of its own bids)

Now this is GIB issue. Manual says 3 minus major suit. Gib evidently does not agree with it's own manual and/or malfunctioning.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users