A4
QJ10875
AJ43

AKQJ1092
K

The Qis led Play the play.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-May-30, 03:31

unless I'm missing something this seems pretty straight forward, we simply duck trick one if they continue hearts we win play club to the king ruff hearts ace clubs chuck a diamond and then cross to our trumps, if they switch to trump we draw trumps cash king of clubs, cross to the Ace of hearts and play Ace of clubs chucking a loser, if they switch to a club obviously it's easy, finally if they switch to ak and third diamond we ruff high

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-30, 07:27

is it closer to being tricky or interesting?

#4 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-30, 16:09

View Postwank, on 2015-May-30, 07:27, said:

is it closer to being tricky or interesting?

The clue is in the forum used. About this tricky would put it in the beginner forum.

#5 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 07:49

View Postwanoff, on 2015-May-30, 16:09, said:

The clue is in the forum used. About this tricky would put it in the beginner forum.

Whilst this isn't extremely tough, I think it would be unfair to describe this as a beginner problem. If this hand came up at a club duplicate I reckon more than half the field would go down. Perhaps a better description of the hand would indeed be 'Interesting Hand', but I think people are really getting at the OP. I know he has said things that people (including me) have disagreed with, but he didn't do anything wrong here.

#6 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-31, 08:26

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-May-31, 07:49, said:

Whilst this isn't extremely tough, I think it would be unfair to describe this as a beginner problem. If this hand came up at a club duplicate I reckon more than half the field would go down. Perhaps a better description of the hand would indeed be 'Interesting Hand', but I think people are really getting at the OP. I know he has said things that people (including me) have disagreed with, but he didn't do anything wrong here.

A top player actually misplayed this hand. He took the A at trick one then played a club to his king. He then led another
heart. The opponents won then led trumps,not only denying declarer his heart ruff but also cutting him off from the A
Declarer then had to lose 2 tricks in each red suit. He,at least,had the grace to apologise to his partner. It gives you encouragement
to know that even the best in the game are human and sometimes falter. Even the legendary golfer,Jack Nicklaus,sometimes missed a two foot putt(!) ;)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#7 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 08:59

I am sorely tempted to plant this in a duplicate, constructing hands where it is impossible to get to anything other than 4 and where it is very difficult to lead anything other than Q, just to see how many people make this. But it really would be an abuse of my running duplicates power.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 10:03

Regardless of this being a beginner or expert problem/position, imo it is a cute hand to post. I know it is easy but penalty kicks are also easy in football, there are still so many cute ways to score them. And even the best players sometimes misses them. Maybe I like it because I love everything that comes to forums about card play.

Despite my HUGE disagreements with PhilG, I think I have to give him credit for this one.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 10:15

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-May-31, 07:49, said:

I might disagree... For a completely different reason than you might think.

The reason why I think that Phil might have dome something seriously wrong here is that this theme (or perhaps even this hand, I don't recall) came up in the play problem on www.bridgeclues.com a few days ago. (Most problems there are written by Mike Lawrence.)

Do I have any proof that he simply copied the theme after he had seen it on Bridgeclues? No, I don't. And it might just be a coincidence. But copying an idea from somewhere else and posting it here representing it as if it is yours (whether encountered at the table or constructed as a puzzle) is wrong.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-May-31, 14:17

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-May-31, 10:15, said:

I might disagree... For a completely different reason than you might think.

The reason why I think that Phil might have dome something seriously wrong here is that this theme (or perhaps even this hand, I don't recall) came up in the play problem on www.bridgeclues.com a few days ago. (Most problems there are written by Mike Lawrence.)

Do I have any proof that he simply copied the theme after he had seen it on Bridgeclues? No, I don't. And it might just be a coincidence. But copying an idea from somewhere else and posting it here representing it as if it is yours (whether encountered at the table or constructed as a puzzle) is wrong.
Disagree with Trinidad. That Phil/Lawrence theme comes up regularly in books by different authors. IMO, to try to copyright bridge-hands is almost as ludicrous as current attempts to copyright genes or software "look and feel" :)

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-31, 16:44

So is this the same hand there?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 23:29

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-31, 10:03, said:

Regardless of this being a beginner or expert problem/position, imo it is a cute hand to post. I know it is easy but penalty kicks are also easy in football, there are still so many cute ways to score them. And even the best players sometimes misses them. Maybe I like it because I love everything that comes to forums about card play.

Despite my HUGE disagreements with PhilG, I think I have to give him credit for this one.

Can I believe my eyes(?!) Praise from Mr Deuce...(?!) Are you SURE this isn't a left handed compliment(?!) <_<

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-June-01, 00:11

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-31, 23:29, said:

Can I believe my eyes(?!) Praise from Mr Deuce...(?!) Are you SURE this isn't a left handed compliment(?!) Posted Image

Not left handed. (unless of course what Rik said is accurate)
I can assure you, when I want to write something mean, even YOU can understand it.Posted Image

Speaking of things that are left handed and not actually meant...what happened to our $ game challenge?

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-01, 00:44

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-31, 16:44, said:

So is this the same hand there?

I don't know, since the hands on the bridgeclues site are only available for 24 hours (unless you pay for them which I don't plan to do). Then a new problem is posted. But the theme of the entry saving duck came up there just a few days before Phil posted his.

An entry saving duck is not uncommon, but it is rare enough that I don't recall seeing one discussed in the time that I have been on BBF... except for one a few days after Mike Lawrence discussed one on his website.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#15 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-01, 07:01

View PostMrAce, on 2015-June-01, 00:11, said:

Not left handed. (unless of course what Rik said is accurate)
I can assure you, when I want to write something mean, even YOU can understand it.Posted Image

Speaking of things that are left handed and not actually meant...what happened to our $ game challenge?

That has had to be shelved for the time being....I won't partner a robot.. I prefer flesh and blood to nut and bolts....
btw I understood your mesaage perfectly... even though I had to pick up my jaw off the floor after reading it(!) ;)

#16 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-01, 07:57

It is kind of a cute problem. Easy for most forum posters, but still cute. As for the level, it may be good study material for advancing from novice to intermediate.

As for half the field going down at a typical club: in a field where half the declarers cannot find the duck, half the defenders may not find the trump switch either.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#17 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-01, 10:10

View Postbillw55, on 2015-June-01, 07:57, said:

It is kind of a cute problem. Easy for most forum posters, but still cute. As for the level, it may be good study material for advancing from novice to intermediate.

As for half the field going down at a typical club: in a field where half the declarers cannot find the duck, half the defenders may not find the trump switch either.

That's a good point. I feel like this sort of problem seems to crop up more at the table than in books.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users