• You cannot reply to this topic

Any Blame On This One

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-August-12, 16:31

Matchpoints

should either North or South have done something?

Thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-12, 17:01

Don't know about should have, but I would have doubled as N. 2S could have partner jammed up, so I feel like I have to act.

West's pass is a bit concerning - the level of game I play in (which is modest), that usually means they have something, as they'll bid 3 or 4 with nowt.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-12, 17:02

Three cards in the opponents pre-empt is (according to Mike Lawrence) the death holding so a balance by north is out of bounds. Similarly a slight downgrade is in order by south so I give it a gotcha with no blame. On a better day the people that bid face Ace and another spade, ruffed.

At least you can trust partners when they do bid in future auctions of the same flavor.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-12, 20:22

Despite the flat shape as north I would chance a X. Values are sufficient, vul. is fav.,. It figures to be right more often than not, but -800 is possible. :)

#5 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-13, 02:07

Both passes look normal to me.

I'm not even sure that defending 2S is such a disaster...

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-14, 07:56

Who said preempts do work? BTW, 4H or 3NT are not home yet.

TBH, both passes are ok, S is a little light (or make the minor QJs into the HK, add a 6th H) to have a clear cut action (and in hands where you belong in 3H, partner will have propelled you to 4 even before W bid!), and N despite having a full opener has a superflat hand, the dreadful xxx S and not even 4H. With such a hand, I'd prefer defending 2S than having partner play 3m in a 4-3 fit.

With disciplined bidding, no blame, next round please.

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-14, 09:26

it's normal. insert pre-empt related cliche here.

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-August-14, 09:55

el mister, on 2015-August-12, 17:01, said:

Don't know about should have, but I would have doubled as N. 2S could have partner jammed up, so I feel like I have to act.

West's pass is a bit concerning - the level of game I play in (which is modest), that usually means they have something, as they'll bid 3 or 4 with nowt.

In my games, and I think in almost everyone's game, West's pass suggests that he is short in spades, which means that he might have a pretty good hand. Do responders in your game, red v white, bid with, say, 13 hcp and a stiff spade? I doubt it...unless you play in a terribly weak field.

This is an auto pass-out situation. Bridge bidding is an imperfect science: get over it and move on.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-August-14, 13:29

The only plausible bid by South would be an overcall. Bidding 3 on a hand with QJ10xx suit, lots of quacks and defensive tricks in the opponent's suit just isn't good bridge. Additionally, in 2nd seat, you have no idea where the balance of power resides on the hand. Pass seems like the only reasonable action.

North has an 8 loser flat hand with opening values. The problem is, that with the 4-3-3-3 distribution, you're unlikely to be able to contribute short trump hand ruffs that will add to the trick total at a suit contract. Again, you don't have a read on the balance of power on the hand. Responder (weak 2 bidder's partner) could be passing with some decent values but not quite enough to invite or bid game. If South does have opening values, it's likely with some length as no T/O double was found. Give opener a decent weak 2 in 1st seat vulnerable. If you split the remaining points evenly, North's looking at forcing to a 3 level part score contract on about half the points or less with a hand that's not a particularly good dummy. Pass seems like the only reasonable action here, too.

As it turns out, if the distribution isn't too unusual, defending 2 might not turn out too badly. If the K is onside, you're looking at 6 probable tricks on defense and maybe 7 if you can accommodate a D ruff.

So, I don't see any blame for either player in this auction.

#10 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-14, 21:01

Agree. No Blame.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 06:28

Is it so unlikely for West to hold AKJx(x) and East the K? Both passes look completely normal to me.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users