BBO Discussion Forums: Did opps stick their neck out too far? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Did opps stick their neck out too far? Doubling 3m at IMPs

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-05, 18:49

Is doubling worth it at IMPs, game all?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-September-05, 19:39

I stay off, fearing 1) I might not have more than 4 defensive tricks here, and 2) I might drive them to their fit. I gain 7 when right and lose 12 when wrong. I don't think I have a 63% chance of success here.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-September-06, 06:09

I'd say no for reasons Steve gave.
Also, what is your style for opening 2? For many could be really weak then your not even close. For others (like people using the original Precision) a weak 2 is nearly an opener. Even then too risky at imps.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-06, 06:20

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-September-06, 06:09, said:

Also, what is your style for opening 2? For many could be really weak then your not even close. For others (like people using the original Precision) a weak 2 is nearly an opener.

I was playing with an expert with whom I play maybe twice a year, so no discussion of that. But you'll note he was in 2nd seat vulnerable...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-06, 06:53

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-05, 18:49, said:

Is doubling worth it at IMPs, game all?

Michael, at imps I see it this way "I was about to play 2 and would probably score anywhere between -100 to +170, We are likely going to set 3 and get +100 or +200 and maybe -110 if we slip. I see nothing attractive for double other than if the state of the match tells me we need a lot of imps."
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-06, 07:02

Give partner AQJ10xx and out, do you want to double ? no, it might go off but it might make an overtrick. Unless SotM dictates rolling the dice, don't go there.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-06, 11:05

I am somewhat torn between 3s and x (pass a distant 3rd) and eventually settled for 3s because the reward side is massively greater than x and the risk is significantly minimized. I do not fear x because If the opps can figure out to run to hearts (after you invited game in hearts) quit showing them your cards. The problem with the current bidding is that partner is no longer a participant because they have no clue you have spade fit. You could easily be void for all they know and have 3d easily handled so they will almost never pull with a weak defensive hand. You two must open some horrific weak 2 bids vul to not consider inviting game with your collection. 2s is not an invite it merely states that you have no desire for game if p has spades. Even if p is near the top of their weak 2 (unless they have AQJTxx) they should not move over 2s since you could easily have a singleton or void.

3s = 9 x = 6 p = 4

#8 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-September-06, 12:38

View Postgszes, on 2015-September-06, 11:05, said:

I am somewhat torn between 3s and x (pass a distant 3rd) and eventually settled for 3s because the reward side is massively greater than x and the risk is significantly minimized. I do not fear x because If the opps can figure out to run to hearts (after you invited game in hearts) quit showing them your cards. The problem with the current bidding is that partner is no longer a participant because they have no clue you have spade fit. You could easily be void for all they know and have 3d easily handled so they will almost never pull with a weak defensive hand. You two must open some horrific weak 2 bids vul to not consider inviting game with your collection. 2s is not an invite it merely states that you have no desire for game if p has spades. Even if p is near the top of their weak 2 (unless they have AQJTxx) they should not move over 2s since you could easily have a singleton or void.

3s = 9 x = 6 p = 4

Two reasons I like the pass: we tend to preempt rather light at our club, even if at times the pass is not the optimal IMPs percentage bid for that particular deal, if the opponents find they must play their overcalls they will learn not to intervene so often at this vulnerability.

#9 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-06, 13:06

If partner is so weak that we can't make 4 then I'd pass. Be more interested with better diamond intermediates.
However, I'd have inquired with this lot, playing it as less than the rule of 20.

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-06, 13:22

Ah, hm. This originally occured at matchpoints, actually, where I considered it a "WTP, Double." I was curious whether double would also be correct at IMPs, but lost in translation to IMPs was that I would of course bid 2NT rather than 2 initially.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-06, 13:53

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-06, 13:22, said:

but lost in translation to IMPs was that I would of course bid 2NT rather than 2 initially.

A red 2nd chair bid would get 2nt from me at mp's too. Is it really a good idea to bastardize your style between imps and mp's?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2015-September-06, 14:02

By imps, do you really mean swiss teams imps converted to VP?

If they make this, this board should win them the match. If they make this because they played the diamonds carefully because you alerted them to a 4-1 split that would be sicking. If they go down one, the double is a 3 imp gain. They need to go down two of more before the double is clear.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users