• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Natural or artificial Brown sticker rules

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-16, 06:26

helene_t, on 2015-December-16, 03:26, said:

But my issue with this stupid new law is that while it is clear that 1=3+ is natural (old law), it is not at all clear what additional criteria a 1=1+ opening has to satisfy to be natural, since I don't believe that the intention is that a 1 opening on
AKJxxxxxxxxx
-
-
x
is natural.

That would appear to be a problem because it would need to be forcing to make sense as an opening bid. But you could presumably change it to AKQJxxxxxxx - - xx if the agreement was that partner is only allowed to pass with 12 clubs. That is not forcing, right? :ph34r:
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-December-16, 06:59

Zelandakh, on 2015-December-16, 06:26, said:

That would appear to be a problem because it would need to be forcing to make sense as an opening bid. But you could presumably change it to AKQJxxxxxxx - - xx if the agreement was that partner is only allowed to pass with 12 clubs. That is not forcing, right? :ph34r:

The EBU covered a less ridiculous situation like this explicitly at one point.

Some people when you weren't allowed to play a weak only multi were playing it as weak or a balanced 35+ or similar, so the EBU ruled that the strong alternative had to be "of reasonable frequency".

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-December-16, 08:59

Cyberyeti, on 2015-December-16, 06:59, said:

The EBU covered a less ridiculous situation like this explicitly at one point.

Some people when you weren't allowed to play a weak only multi were playing it as weak or a balanced 35+ or similar, so the EBU ruled that the strong alternative had to be "of reasonable frequency".

Yes but they also ruled that holding something like AKQxxxx in a strong 2 hand was of reasonable frequency, which quickly became the popular way of getting around the regulation.
(-: Zel :-)

#24 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-16, 10:49

Helene: oh absolutely I can play anything. But just try to get a defence for it that isn't "we get all these advantages, and they're undefendable because the only thing that you should do is have a meaning for double and cuebid" :-). Of *course* they're not interested in working on good (can I be snarky and say "Mid-Chart defence database"-quality?) defences to this...

And as for the rant, that all (and the OP's quote of the WBF regulations) came out of the "whoa, whoa, you can't do that, our bid (which includes opening 4=3=4=2 12-counts and 4=2=5=2 18-counts 1) is totally natural, how dare you play your Polish Club defence?" discussion before Shanghai. I am occasionally cynical, and just assume that the people who say "there is no good defence (or, *you don't need a good defence*, maybe?) to this really amazing system" and those who objected to disruptive defences to this "really natural 1 bid" before, who are also pushing to have it moved to the GCC, might just try to convince the ACBL that "you can't play disruptive defences to our really natural 1 bid" when it does get approved for the GCC.

My comment about convincing the LNs not to play "short club" - well, "short club" may be a not-bad idea if played with a relevant system. But the way they play it, they'd be much better off bidding 4=4=3=2s as if they were 4=4=4=2s. Yes, I was being deliberately over-the-top about "education by confusion"; how much I actually mean it and how much is tongue not so much in cheek as busting through it is debatable :-).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#25 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-16, 12:38

But my issue with this stupid new law is that while it is clear that 1=3+ is natural (old law), it is not at all clear what additional criteria a 1=1+ opening has to satisfy to be natural, since I don't believe that the intention is that a 1 opening on
AKJxxxxxxxxx
-
-
x
is natural.

Neither do I. But I don't know to what "stupid new law" you're referring, since as far as I know there isn't one. There is a change, in the ACBL, to the General Convention Chart, a regulation, to the effect that an opening 1 bid which could, at a minimum be on only two clubs (i.e. exactly 4=4=3=2) is "natural". Any other 1 opening on two or fewer clubs is not natural.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#26 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-December-16, 17:00

You know mycroft, maybe you do know a bunch of people who hold simultaneously all the beliefs you describe, but your posts have all the makings of a good strawman argument. ;)

I don't really care what's allowed in the ACBL but I certainly think transfers over 1 should be allowed everywhere. I don't mind opps playing whatever defense they like. For instance there is this pair that we play once a year that likes to play a defense including (1)-1 = 0-11 points, 2-4 spades, usually balanced, whenever they are allowed to play brown sticker defenses because the opening is considered artificial. Now the last time they did this against us I was a bit disappointed that we defended poorly and only got 1400 rather than 1700, but it still scored better than the nonvulnerable slam our way.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#27 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-December-17, 10:05

AKJxxxxxxxxx
-
-
x
is natural.

In the ACBL, opening 1 on 10=0=0=3 shape would be considered natural. But it would require a pre-alert because it's a canapé system.

#28 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-December-17, 14:31

Oh absolutely it's a strawman. But if you look at the 2007 thread that was quoted here, and the 'I'd like an aggressive defence to a "clubs or balanced" 2+ 1" [edit: post I started a while ago] or the suggested defence in Senior's booklet on transfer responses, or anywhere else for that matter, you'll see how the strawman is clothed. And if you look at some of those people, and the righteous indignity they show because they have to spend all this time and memory creating a perfect defence to <convention they don't play>, you'll see why I have my suspicions.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#29 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-18, 14:22

I don't understand the problem. Why does it matter if we call it "natural" or not, as long as it is disclosed accurately? Couldn't we call it a macguffin or anything else we want?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#30 User is offline   szgyula 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-18, 15:26

billw55, on 2015-December-18, 14:22, said:

I don't understand the problem. Why does it matter if we call it "natural" or not, as long as it is disclosed accurately? Couldn't we call it a macguffin or anything else we want?

If it is a "strong artificial" opening, you can play anything against it. If it is "natural", you may run into brown sticker regulations...

#31 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-December-19, 14:46

billw55, on 2015-December-18, 14:22, said:

In some jurisdictions, the system and disclosure regulations have dependencies on whether a call is natural or not.

#32 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-December-20, 04:33

barmar, on 2015-December-19, 14:46, said:

In some jurisdictions, the system and disclosure regulations have dependencies on whether a call is natural or not.

And then, hopefully, the regulations include precise definitions on which calls are natural and which are not.

#33 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-21, 07:47

Ah, system regulations. No wonder it is incomprehensible.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#34 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-23, 05:30

szgyula, on 2015-December-18, 15:26, said:

If it is a "strong artificial" opening, you can play anything against it. If it is "natural", you may run into brown sticker regulations...

Yep. This was the main result of the change.

You used to be able to play any defence to a short club. It was pretty common to play Multi Landy pre Bali, but now that is not allowed. I also used to play a 1 overcall as an overcall in either major and 1M as 3 or 4 cards with a longer minor. This used to wreak havoc against the overloaded club, but sadly it is no longer allowed.

#35 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-December-23, 06:29

Perhaps Vampyr is right that the ACBL tail is wagging the WBF dog, again. It seems wrong to ban previously legal counter-measures to conventions newly popular in America, while continuing to make it difficult or impossible to use conventions, long played in other countries (e.g. multi, strong pass)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users