BBO Discussion Forums: A Truly Remarkable Hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Truly Remarkable Hand

Poll: What's your call? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your action?

1. Pass (4 votes [80.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. 1D (1 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. 1H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

If you overcalled 1H, it goes Dbl-3C-Dbl back to you, and now?

1. Pass (2 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. 3H (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3D (3 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

4. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-30, 13:34

I haven't had success doing polls in the past, let's see if this works.

GIB actually performed well enough here. Question 2 does point out a common GIB quirk.

Both Vul. at IMPS, dealer on your right opens 1C and you hold:

A3
AKJ7
T7

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 13:52

Wow. 176 views in over 3 weeks and not one person thought it worth their time to respond.

I would appreciate any comments, especially from regular posters, as to why. Thank you.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 16:34

It has been a while (as you say, 3 weeks) since I saw this thread and voted. I don't like to comment at the same time as voting, because I would rather not influence others who might be considering voting.

Looking back on it, I stand by my initial pass, but I cannot imagine what possessed me to vote for 3H on the second part of the question, except possibly that I missed my original 1H overcall and was continuing on the basis that I had originally followed my gut and passed. Looking at it now I favour 3D as the second bid and will change my vote to reflect that.

As to the initial pass: sure, 1H can work. If ever you are going to overcall on a 4 card suit this suit quality qualifies. I don't have a strong objection to 1H. Going by my old readings of Mike Lawrence I would have preferred to have more length in the opponent's Clubs, but perhaps that theory has been debunked.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-December-22, 18:40

View Postiandayre, on 2015-November-30, 13:34, said:

I haven't had success doing polls in the past, let's see if this works.
GIB actually performed well enough here. Question 2 does point out a common GIB quirk.
Both Vul. at IMPS, dealer on your right opens 1C and you hold: A3 AKJ7 65432 T7
Over 1, I rank
  • 1 - In case we have a fit.
  • 1 - Lead directonal. A danger is partner with 3-card support, might compete at the next level, over an opponent's call.
  • Pass - But it's a bidder's game.
  • Double - Shows a better holding.

Over 3 (X), I rank
  • Pass - If that is the least enthusiastic call.
  • 3 - Weak
  • 3 = implies longer s

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 19:53

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-December-22, 16:34, said:

It has been a while (as you say, 3 weeks) since I saw this thread and voted. I don't like to comment at the same time as voting, because I would rather not influence others who might be considering voting.

Looking back on it, I stand by my initial pass, but I cannot imagine what possessed me to vote for 3H on the second part of the question, except possibly that I missed my original 1H overcall and was continuing on the basis that I had originally followed my gut and passed. Looking at it now I favour 3D as the second bid and will change my vote to reflect that.

As to the initial pass: sure, 1H can work. If ever you are going to overcall on a 4 card suit this suit quality qualifies. I don't have a strong objection to 1H. Going by my old readings of Mike Lawrence I would have preferred to have more length in the opponent's Clubs, but perhaps that theory has been debunked.

Thank you. I told you I wasn't very good at polls. I saw no responses and assumed no one had voted.

#6 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 20:06

Well, our voters did well. PASS was the winning option and won a large number of IMPS

I was a 1H bidder, and when the bidding came back to me, I saw that 3H would show extras and game interest opposite the mixed raise, so I passed. Partner bid 3H which was doubled and set two vulnerable tricks. Amazingly, this also won a few IMPS! The GIB quirk I mentioned was that those who rebid 3H were taken to game by partner. This contract was also held to 7 tricks - but undoubled. I don't think anyone overcalled 1H and rebid 3D so I can't say what would have happened.

Why did 3H*-2 win IMP's? Those who overcalled 1D heard the auction go double, P, P back to them, and there they sat. Opener had 2056 shape (AJT97 of D), Dummy the stiff Q and neg. doubler the K8. 1D* was held to ONE trick - the SA - for -1400! Nearly 1/2 the field suffered this fate.

#7 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 20:07

Deleted duplicate

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-December-23, 03:44

I'd overcall 1H too. Strangely enough, I don't recall 4-card overcalls backfiring vs GIB, even when I do it on much weirder hands.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users