BBO Discussion Forums: GIB doesn't lead the suit I ask for - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB doesn't lead the suit I ask for

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-12, 11:53

http://tinyurl.com/gvrz3gm

This is a typical example. It may have happened that GIB lead the suit I made a lead directing double on, but it is rare. Here, holding QJx in my suit, I see little reason not to lead it.

As it happens it didn't matter and maybe his DD analysis shows this. The explanation of the double is that I have at least KQ and rebidable spades, while the 3nt apparently doesn't show a spade stopper. So you should think that DD simulations at least sometimes would show that it is best to lead partner's suit.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-January-12, 17:29

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-January-12, 11:53, said:

This is a typical example. It may have happened that GIB lead the suit I made a lead directing double on, but it is rare. Here, holding QJx in my suit, I see little reason not to lead it.

As it happens it didn't matter and maybe his DD analysis shows this. The explanation of the double is that I have at least KQ and rebidable spades, while the 3nt apparently doesn't show a spade stopper. So you should think that DD simulations at least sometimes would show that it is best to lead partner's suit.

Actually it does matter. On a lead Gib could take all the tricks (DD). Besides leading spades is so obviously the best chance to take the most tricks if there were tricks to be had.

This is a well know flaw in Gib defense.

Another Gib flaw is the almost total lack of signals. If you go back to last year where cheaters were using illegal signals to gain an unfair advantage. Think how much better Gib would be if it paid attention to partner's signals and Gib itself gave legal signals.

A typical example, partner has an entry and can cash setting tricks in NT. Wouldn't it be nice if you could signal which suit the entry is in?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-12, 22:26

GIB would rather lead bottom of 3 small and hope that his opponent is tricked by the fact that his convention card says he leads high from that holding.

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-13, 15:51

Ignoring the lead directing problem which has been covered, what is with declarer's line here? I understand it not playing KQ of diamonds and then running the ten, but it seems to me as if it was happy with only taking 3 diamond tricks even if they broke 3-3 or the jack dropped.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-13, 23:33

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-January-12, 11:53, said:

The story here is that GIB takes no information from the bidding sequence- its programming is a load of junk. Given a different dummy- a good lead could have been the killer.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users