BBO Discussion Forums: Breedge (and a variety of bridges) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Breedge (and a variety of bridges)

#21 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-23, 01:46

Posted Image
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-23, 03:08

View PostVampyr, on 2016-February-22, 09:35, said:

In any case, I have a lot of sympathy for Mikestar13. The OP has posted more aspects of his vision for bridge on Bridgewinners. These include:

• eliminating doubles, but scoring undertricks as if they were doubled (but increasing in points much faster)
  • giving bonuses for every level contract, ie 1-level 100, 2-level 200 (LOL if he wants to eliminate vulnerability it makes sense to get rid of game bonuses too!)
  • replacing matchpoints, IMPs and VPs with a strange and complicated hybrid method
  • leaving quitted tricks face-up
  • Facing the dummy before the opening lead
  • Eliminating the ranks of suits (and allowing all bids at a given level if they have not been bid before)
  • Changing partners after the auction
  • Changing all top-level play to individuals
  • eliminating overtricks

I've played quite a few of those in "director's revenge" events. If OP is running short of ideas, I have a file of them somewhere :)

#23 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-23, 03:11

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-February-22, 18:31, said:

Wait, if you don't agree with what he's saying, why would you then say that he's right to say it? I'm so confused.

That was a misquote of a famous quote. Instead of "YOU'RE RIGHT" in the quote, it should be "your right" which completely changes the meaning.

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-23, 03:44

I think bridge is too easy, I would rather add more vulnerabilities, instead of sides vulenrable, make the 5 "suits" vulnerable or not. Playing 4 spades is easy in your 5-4 fit, but will you try for a small bonus in a vulnerable 3NT?. 2 suited overcalls with one suit vulnerable and the other not would be quite excitiing :)

#25 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-23, 08:15

View PostFluffy, on 2016-February-23, 03:44, said:

I think bridge is too easy, I would rather add more vulnerabilities, instead of sides vulenrable, make the 5 "suits" vulnerable or not. Playing 4 spades is easy in your 5-4 fit, but will you try for a small bonus in a vulnerable 3NT?. 2 suited overcalls with one suit vulnerable and the other not would be quite excitiing :)

A backgammon cube instead of X/XX would be fun too, how do you fancy 3N xxxxxx ?

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-February-23, 09:38

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-February-23, 08:15, said:

A backgammon cube instead of X/XX would be fun too, how do you fancy 3N xxxxxx ?

I think some form of whist or early bridge allowed this.

#27 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-23, 14:14

View Postjohnu, on 2016-February-23, 03:11, said:

That was a misquote of a famous quote. Instead of "YOU'RE RIGHT" in the quote, it should be "your right" which completely changes the meaning.

Not merely a mis-spelled quote, but a misattributed quote too. Voltaire never actually wrote those celebrated words - they were penned by someone called Evelyn Beatrice Hall, in a biography of Voltaire and his friends, published in 1906.

#28 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-23, 15:04

I don't know why people are so hostile to his suggestions. I don't like most of them myself, but they are interesting, and one idea in particular (no overtricks) has real appeal at IMPs. The play would go MUCH faster.

It's not as if the game has never changed
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users