• You cannot reply to this topic

Double double game swing

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-17, 17:07

I don't think there's a moral to this, but it was an entertaining hand:

IMP pairs. The actual sequence after 4 was X P P lead facedown, XX by S on the principle that no-one was going to deprive him of his rightful call. West was a pro, whose double can be explained by him being about 5 whiskies into the evening. North had no idea whether either his 1N or X were correct, but didn't want to be left out of the entertainment.

Both 4 and 5 were making, so South's redouble was one of the more costly actions I've seen in the history of bridge (especially if you count N's double as one of the consequences).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-December-17, 17:40

I think North's hand is too strong for a 1 NT advance. I think the two bids North should consider are either 2 NT or 2 .

North does have a 13 count and 2 QTs. also could be a problem at NT, so I'd lean towards a 2 advance to see what partner says. Once North does that there's less pressure to make a "make up" double of 5 .

South let emotion get the better of him/her because of a minor irregularity. I'd be delighted to be playing 4 x with that hand. As a corollary to passing when you know the opponents are in a bad contract so they can't run, when you're in a good spot, one shouldn't do anything that may let the opponents push you out of it. 4 making rates to be an IMP winner.

Good hand and story though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users