Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why no ads?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-05, 05:44

Not that I am complaining, but it has been well over a week since I last undertook any commercial transactions with BBO (sorry BBO), but I am still not seeing any adverts in the Flash version.

I *do* see adverts in the mobile version.

Why the diff?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-March-05, 06:35

1eyedjack, on 2017-March-05, 05:44, said:

Not that I am complaining, but it has been well over a week since I last undertook any commercial transactions with BBO (sorry BBO), but I am still not seeing any adverts in the Flash version.

I *do* see adverts in the mobile version.

Why the diff?

What browser are you using?

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-March-05, 06:37

diana_eva, on 2017-March-05, 06:35, said:

What browser are you using?

ie11
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-05, 06:42

1eyedjack, on 2017-March-05, 06:37, said:

ie11

Do you see an ad on the login screen, or there's no ad anywhere? Normally you should see the login screen ad regardless of pay activity or not, then ads are shown/hidden only after you log in.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-March-05, 06:55

no ads whatsoever.

I am not consciously using an adblocker, but maybe I am - all sorts of security stuff on the machine I will hunt around.

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-05, 06:59

1eyedjack, on 2017-March-05, 06:55, said:

no ads whatsoever.

I am not consciously using an adblocker, but maybe I am - all sorts of security stuff on the machine I will hunt around.

Sounds like it. IE blocking ads, not BBO. For me ads are showing, so not sure why for your they aren't but whatever it is, it's some browser/security setting, not a BBO thing.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-05, 11:47

This is the URL for the ad in the web version, what do you see if you click on this?

http://ads.bridgebas...per.php?game=v2

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-March-05, 14:29

barmar, on 2017-March-05, 11:47, said:

This is the URL for the ad in the web version, what do you see if you click on this?

http://ads.bridgebas...per.php?game=v2

I just get a blank white screen. If I click on refresh, then every half a dozen or so attempts I do get an advert in the form a centralised vertical strip about an inch wide.

It's really no biggie. Just curious is all.

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-March-06, 13:14

Are you doing this at work? I know that my work drops most ad sites on the floor at the router, because of the extensive malware (in ads *not* on BBO, I must clarify!)

Having said that, my work also drops connections over the special BBO port on the floor at the firewall, so it's not like I can take advantage of my company that way. I'm not going to ask for a hole in the firewall for some reason!
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-March-06, 13:30

mycroft, on 2017-March-06, 13:14, said:

Are you doing this at work? I know that my work drops most ad sites on the floor at the router, because of the extensive malware (in ads *not* on BBO, I must clarify!)

Having said that, my work also drops connections over the special BBO port on the floor at the firewall, so it's not like I can take advantage of my company that way. I'm not going to ask for a hole in the firewall for some reason!

No - at home.

That said my router at home DOES block some sites, but when it does that the place on screen that would have displayed the blocked content is replaced by a generic "blocked by Netgear firewall" message. Which is not appearing here.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-06, 14:40

Our server log shows your machine accessing the URL for the ads, so something at your end must be blocking the image.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users