BBO Discussion Forums: Movement option - maybe 10 1/2, maybe 10 tables - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Movement option - maybe 10 1/2, maybe 10 tables

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-July-03, 21:16

Directing my local game, when game time arrives I have 10 1/4 tables. The one extra player told me he talked to his partner, but there is more than a small chance this "other player" got mixed up and might not be arriving. (This pair, if the player does eventually arrive, will definitely need to be a stationary pair.)

If I was certain this other player would arrive shortly, then for 10 1/2 tables, I would definitely run a 9x3 Appendix Mitchell normally with two tables sharing and an East-West sit out. (If I had prepared a second board set, I could run an 11 table Web with a phantom pair.) But at game time, we had only 10 tables (plus the lone person waiting for his partner - if he was going to show up).

Because of my concerns the extra player would never arrive, I started with a 10 table Skip Mitchell. After 10 minutes, the player DID arrive, and I changed to an 11 table 9x3 Mitchell with NS pairs missing 9 boards of 33 and 2 of 10 EW pairs. A movement I really hate, and even more so because it was an NAP game with overall awards. (Being an NAP game, an 11 table 13x2 Double Hesitation Mitchell was also a consideration, but we had many more novice pairs playing so I didn't want to give them one of my "mad scientists" double or triple Hesitation Mitchells to deal with.)

Here is my question:

If I had risked initially setting up the 9x3 10 1/2 table Appendix Mitchell (and let's assume for now the extra pair could have been a moving pair easily), but I learned as Round 1 was finishing that the 1/2 pair was not going to be available to play, what do I do with the game movement now that I at the moment have only 40 players in a 10 1/2 table movement - especially when two tables have been sharing boards? Any suggestions on how to make a change such that all play at least 24 boards but preferably 27 boards?

Additionally, if I had set it up as a 9x3 11 table Web with a phantom pair OR if I had set it up as a 13x2 Double Hesitation Mitchell with a phantom pair (no sharing for that movement), what would I change to when I reduce to 40 players before Round 1 ends?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-04, 01:59

I think you should have started with a suitable 10 table movement, assuming they were not going to turn up, and prepared to have a rover pair if they did. Since the late pair would not have been able to move, you would have had to ask the moving EW pairs to move to them rather than them displacing the NS pairs.

Unfortunately it seems that there is no straightforward rover progression for a 10 table 9 round Web, though you could probably make it work by putting the rover pair EW when it breaks down. A 10 table 8 round Web would be fine. You could also have a thirteen round Howell and add an appendix table if necessary.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   pgoddard 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-July-04, 04:47

View PostBudH, on 2017-July-03, 21:16, said:

Here is my question:

If I had risked initially setting up the 9x3 10 1/2 table Appendix Mitchell (and let's assume for now the extra pair could have been a moving pair easily), but I learned as Round 1 was finishing that the 1/2 pair was not going to be available to play, what do I do with the game movement now that I at the moment have only 40 players in a 10 1/2 table movement - especially when two tables have been sharing boards? Any suggestions on how to make a change such that all play at least 24 boards but preferably 27 boards?

I assume that the initial setup has boardset 1 shared between tables 1 and 10, and table 11 is where E/W sit out (no boards). Boardsets 2 to 9 are on tables 2 to 9.

If you insert an extra boardset between tables 5 and 6, on a relay (bystand) table, the movement becomes a 10 table share and relay (bystand) Mitchell. The downside is the the board numbers are no longer sequential between boardsets 5 and 7.

You can truncate the movement after 9 rounds (all players play 27 boards) or complete it to allow all players to play 30 boards.

#4 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-July-04, 19:54

View Postpgoddard, on 2017-July-04, 04:47, said:

I assume that the initial setup has boardset 1 shared between tables 1 and 10, and table 11 is where E/W sit out (no boards). Boardsets 2 to 9 are on tables 2 to 9.

If you insert an extra boardset between tables 5 and 6, on a relay (bystand) table, the movement becomes a 10 table share and relay (bystand) Mitchell. The downside is the the board numbers are no longer sequential between boardsets 5 and 7.

You can truncate the movement after 9 rounds (all players play 27 boards) or complete it to allow all players to play 30 boards.

For those using ACBLscore, use the F11-->EDMOV--> 1 Display or reassign boards command AFTER you change from the 9x3 10 1/2 table Appendix Mitchell to the 9x3 10 table Bye Stand (Relay) Share. That will allow you to change the bye stand boards to 28-30 (unplayed in Round 1) and you'll need to change the boards of the higher number tables (6, 7, 8, 9) in ACBLscore (assuming Tables 1 and 10 are sharing).

(At my local club, we use an ACBLscore external movement Appendix Mitchell I constructed which has Tables 1 and 2 sharing. so for me it would be boards at Tables 7 through 10 requiring the adjustment in ACBLscore.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users