Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polish/Swedish Club: 1C-1H; 1S

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-13, 09:19

There's always debate on whether 1m-1H; 1S should promise an unbalanced hand or not. My preference when playing a natural(ish) system is that it should show an unbalanced hand, and that the balanced variant rebids 1NT.

In strong club systems, with a nebulous diamond, the tendency I've seen is that 1D-1H; 1S could be a balanced hand (and that rebidding 1NT denies spades). Is this true for most of you?

In Polish/Swedish Club (where opening 1C is a weak balanced hand, or a strong hand) it seems very common that 1C-1H; 1S could be either a strong hand with 5+ spades, or the weak balanced hand with 4 spades. This is the way I currently play it. Do you think it could be better to play that 1S promises the strong hand? This is in a non-relay context (where 1S should obviously be a strong relay), so I'm thinking maybe a strong unbalanced hand with 4+ spades, might have a longer minor?

#2 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-13, 10:48

View PostKungsgeten, on 2018-April-13, 09:19, said:

In strong club systems, with a nebulous diamond, the tendency I've seen is that 1D-1H; 1S could be a balanced hand (and that rebidding 1NT denies spades). Is this true for most of you?

Yes, over 1 - 1, 1 shows 4, and could be a balanced hand.

In Polish/Swedish Club (where opening 1C is a weak balanced hand, or a strong hand) it seems very common that 1C-1H; 1S could be either a strong hand with 5+ spades, or the weak balanced hand with 4 spades. This is the way I currently play it. Do you think it could be better to play that 1S promises the strong hand? This is in a non-relay context (where 1S should obviously be a strong relay), so I'm thinking maybe a strong unbalanced hand with 4+ spades, might have a longer minor?

Not sure -- aren't a majority of 1 openings weak NTs?

#3 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-April-13, 14:45

There's always debate on whether 1m-1H; 1S should promise an unbalanced hand or not. My preference when playing a natural(ish) system is that it should show an unbalanced hand, and that the balanced variant rebids 1NT.

If 1 can be balanced, standard bidders will sometimes lose a 5-2 or 5-3 heart fit after 1-1; 1-1N; P.

If 1 is always unbalanced, standard bidders will lose a 4-4 spade fit after 1-1; 1N-P or 1-1; 1N-2; P.

Getting rid of these problems is part of the reason people play T-Walsh. You don't have them in Swedish Club, either, so why introduce them?

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-April-13, 21:20

View Postfoobar, on 2018-April-13, 10:48, said:

Yes, over 1 - 1, 1 shows 4, and could be a balanced hand.

Not sure -- aren't a majority of 1 openings weak NTs?

Depends on exact system but at least 40% are weak NT and for some methods could be 50%+
If you can't find a 4-4 here if opener a weak NT i would just rather open a weak 1N in the first place.
You can find out if strong later.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users