• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sufficient explanation ?

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-23, 15:09

We had this auction at the weekend, the problem was the explanation of the 2 bid.

It was explained that it was "hearts and a minor", what it should have been explained as was 5 hearts and a 4-5 card minor (we play similar but this can be 4/5m in our case).

Where it caused a problem was the meaning of double, dummy has 3 hearts, partner the NT opener has 2, so if it's possible I have 4 hearts then X is 100% penalties. If it's known that overcaller has 5 then I can only have 3 so this has to be a "bid spades or take the money" type bid, and I don't make it. I doubled, back to partner who then asked and discovered that it did show 5 and pulled to 3, -1 on an unfortunate ruff, 3 was at least 2 down, so we lost out on the +200/300 we would have had with the correct explanation.

Director said "you should have checked", your fault, I said full disclosure should have applied.

I think I could have called the director when partner asked the question and had my bid back as he had not yet called, but he asked and then bid fast enough after the explanation that it didn't occur to me in time.

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-23, 15:27

"Hearts and a minor" is how this convention is usually called. If it matters whether it is 4 or 5, you can just ask.

It may not matter so much here. If 2 promises 4 we can be sure that responder has 3 so they might be in a 5-3 fit but then again they might be in a 4-3 fit. If 2 promises 5, they are certainly in a 5-2 fit.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-23, 15:41

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-23, 15:09, said:

We had this auction at the weekend, the problem was the explanation of the 2 bid.

It was explained that it was "hearts and a minor", what it should have been explained as was 5 hearts and a 4-5 card minor (we play similar but this can be 4/5m in our case).

Where it caused a problem was the meaning of double, dummy has 3 hearts, partner the NT opener has 2, so if it's possible I have 4 hearts then X is 100% penalties. If it's known that overcaller has 5 then I can only have 3 so this has to be a "bid spades or take the money" type bid, and I don't make it. I doubled, back to partner who then asked and discovered that it did show 5 and pulled to 3, -1 on an unfortunate ruff, 3 was at least 2 down, so we lost out on the +200/300 we would have had with the correct explanation.

Director said "you should have checked", your fault, I said full disclosure should have applied.

I think I could have called the director when partner asked the question and had my bid back as he had not yet called, but he asked and then bid fast enough after the explanation that it didn't occur to me in time.

The diagram does not match the auction as referred?

Director's statement: "You should have checked, your fault" is incorrect. It is the explaining player's responsibility to make sure that all relevant information is given with an explanation.

However in this situation I would expect "hearts and a minor" to imply at least 5 hearts (and at least 4 cards in a minor suit), so given the fact that the agreement is indeed at lest 5 hearts I am a little in doubt whether I would have ruled any damage from misinformation here.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-23, 15:45

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-July-23, 15:27, said:

"Hearts and a minor" is how this convention is usually called. If it matters whether it is 4 or 5, you can just ask.

It may not matter so much here. If 2 promises 4 we can be sure that responder has 3 so they might be in a 5-3 fit but then again they might be in a 4-3 fit. If 2 promises 5, they are certainly in a 5-2 fit.

No responder will have 3 hearts whether opener promises 4 or 5 I think, with 2 will just pass 2 most of the time.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-23, 15:48

View Postpran, on 2018-July-23, 15:41, said:

The diagram does not match the auction as referred?

Director's statement: "You should have checked, your fault" is incorrect. It is the explaining player's responsibility to make sure that all relevant information is given with an explanation.

However in this situation I would expect "hearts and a minor" to imply at least 5 hearts (and at least 4 cards in a minor suit), so given the fact that the agreement is indeed at lest 5 hearts I am a little in doubt whether I would have ruled any damage from misinformation here.

Hearts and a minor is the normal Astro explanation where the suits can be 5-4 either way round, I was E and doubled which partner pulled to 3.

#6 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-July-23, 16:11

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-23, 15:48, said:

Hearts and a minor is the normal Astro explanation where the suits can be 5-4 either way round, I was E and doubled which partner pulled to 3.

Individual customs, Astro is not that common where I play. I was indeed aware of the possibility.

In your case the explanation should then clarify (without any need for additional questions) when 5 hearts are "promised".

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-July-23, 20:12

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-July-23, 15:27, said:

What a convention is called is not relevant. What should be disclosed is what the bid means, and they didn't do that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-July-23, 20:23

If your bids have different meanings depending on meaning of opps bid I think you should ask to make sure.

I was playing bridge for over thirty years never encountered a 4 5 minor,
Then I played on BBO and did including local people and then Gib joined them.

Seems a bad idea, play DONT if you gonna, but 2 45 means you play 1 level higher sometimes for no reason.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-23, 22:40

no sympathy here.

#10 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-24, 00:47

View Postwank, on 2018-July-23, 22:40, said:

no sympathy here.

I agree. It doesn't matter if you are playing a 12-14 or a 15-17 NT or whatever NT here. Partner has defined his/her hand, and if Dbl. isn't for penalties at this stage of the auction - on the third round against vulnerable opponents second-guessing their best contract - then having it as balancing/competitive action (even though the vulnerability is favourable to you) seems mightily strange. At the rubber bridge table - that's what I play mainly these days - it would be penalty, penalty, penalty.

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-24, 01:10

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-July-24, 00:47, said:

I agree. It doesn't matter if you are playing a 12-14 or a 15-17 NT or whatever NT here. Partner has defined his/her hand, and if Dbl. isn't for penalties at this stage of the auction - on the third round against vulnerable opponents second-guessing their best contract - then having it as balancing/competitive action (even though the vulnerability is favourable to you) seems mightily strange. At the rubber bridge table - that's what I play mainly these days - it would be penalty, penalty, penalty.

The difference is in nuance, between 100% penalties and 80%+ penalties. Partner took the decision that we were winning the match anyway (we won 18-2 despite this), 3 might well make and the only thing we couldn't afford was -730.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-July-24, 09:22

When most players say that a bid shows two suits, and don't go into detail, it's quite common that it can be 4-5 either way, and sometimes players even stretch to bid it with 4-4. If your agreement is very specific about the length of one of the suits, there's no good reason not to mention it when explaining your bid, since it's different from common interpretation.

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-July-23, 20:23, said:

Seems a bad idea, play DONT if you gonna, but 2 45 means you play 1 level higher sometimes for no reason.

Why would you play 1 level higher? If partner has heart tolerance he passes 2, he doesn't go for the minor.

#13 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-24, 16:25

I would always ask for more details on this type of auction. The terms Astro, Aspro, Asptro all sound too much alike, so that they are easily mis-heard. The responses are similar, but subtly different. It is an auction where I find it easiest to always ask.

#14 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-July-24, 16:35

View PostTramticket, on 2018-July-24, 16:25, said:

I would always ask for more details on this type of auction. The terms Astro, Aspro, Asptro all sound too much alike, so that they are easily mis-heard. The responses are similar, but subtly different. It is an auction where I find it easiest to always ask.

I would always ask for more details on this type of auction is strong evidence that the initial explanation is ("always") insufficient.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-25, 02:16

View Postpran, on 2018-July-24, 16:35, said:

I would always ask for more details on this type of auction is strong evidence that the initial explanation is ("always") insufficient.

If he'd said "pin point astro" or whatever I would have asked more, when he said "hearts and a minor" without specifying 5 hearts, I just assumed it was 5-4 either way round as normally people specify if one suit is always 5.

#16 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2018-July-25, 05:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-25, 02:16, said:

If he'd said "pin point astro" or whatever I would have asked more, when he said "hearts and a minor" without specifying 5 hearts, I just assumed it was 5-4 either way round as normally people specify if one suit is always 5.

LAW 21 ‐ MISINFORMATION
A. Call or Play Based on Player’s Own Misunderstanding
No rectification or redress is due to a player who acts on the basis of his own misunderstanding.

Of course this is not necessarily the whole story however in England strong players are expected to protect themselves if they can do so without waking up the opponents or passing UI. (Some directors apply this guideline without remembering the qualifications - in this case it seems that asking for further clarification would not fall foul of those two restrictions).
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-25, 05:52

View Postweejonnie, on 2018-July-25, 05:14, said:

LAW 21 ‐ MISINFORMATION
No rectification or redress is due to a player who acts on the basis of his own misunderstanding.

Of course this is not necessarily the whole story however in England strong players are expected to protect themselves if they can do so without waking up the opponents or passing UI. (Some directors apply this guideline without remembering the qualifications - in this case it seems that asking for further clarification would not fall foul of those two restrictions).

But is it purely misunderstanding ? They have given an incomplete explanation ? and I'm not sure what happens when those two things collide.

I assume they've told me what they know, and they haven't because they know the heart suit is 5 cards, I don't, I act on the explanation given and given that they haven't said the heart suit has to be 5 cards, I'm not assuming anything, they're telling me they don't know that it does.

#18 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-July-25, 06:31

I usually explain bids like this with a phrase like "Hearts and a minor, tendentially 5-4". Many opponents will demand more precise detail about length, so I have to say something like "hearts will usually be 5 but occasionally 4, minor will usually be at least 4 but could occasionally be 3 if hearts are 5". I reckon I'm doing them a favour by initially proferring the "tendential" explanation (which is what is written in our agreements) although I'm sure pran will disagree :) I also suspect that some of those who "need" to know more are just fishing for a pretext to complain later, which is against the laws.

#19 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-July-25, 07:17

View Postweejonnie, on 2018-July-25, 05:14, said:

LAW 21 ‐ MISINFORMATION

"Misunderstanding" in Law 21A refers to a player's misunderstanding of his own partnership's agreements, not to misunderstanding of opponents' explanations of their agreements when such explanations are incomplete in any way.

Law 20F1 said:

During the auction and before the final pass any player may request, at his own turn to call, an explanation of the opponents’ auction. He is entitled to know about calls actually made, about relevant alternative calls available that were not made, and about inferences from the choice of action where these are matters of partnership understanding. [...]

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-July-25, 08:59

View Postpran, on 2018-July-25, 07:17, said:

"Misunderstanding" in Law 21A refers to a player's misunderstanding of his own partnership's agreements, not to misunderstanding of opponents' explanations of their agreements when such explanations are incomplete in any way.

Well, that's a new one. Basis?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users