• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Find a fit? or find a stopper? Bidding sequence question

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-06, 09:54

View Postkingfish, on 2019-October-05, 23:18, said:

I don't play Western Cuebids. It's not on my CC so even if my bid looks like a Western Cuebid to you, you know it isn't that. I don't know much about DABs but it seems like if DAB isn't on my CC then 2 here isn't one even if you wish I played your CC. Splinters? On without discussion. Western Q? Definitely not. DABs? I don't think so. What do you think?

Well, 2 has to be something. Stephen Tu mentioned above that it is like 4th suit artificial and forcing: asking partner to describe her hand further.

Naturally, one of the most likely things you want to know about is a spade stopper. Please do not believe the nonsense about needing a partial stopper.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-October-06, 09:54

Sir. since the OP has asked the meaning of 2S bid without disclosmg his exact distribution hand pattern ,I shall limit my reply only to the way we define this bid.We play the 2S bid as a forcing bid but NOT NECESSARILY a game force as that will mean contracting for 5D with 3 outright losers.2S shows a mild inmterest in game if opener has a guard in spades and a 15/16 HCP hand IF opener bids 2NT over 2S then we bid 3D to suggest that. and he passes with minimum and may bid a game in NT with a better hand..WE bid 3D on the hand described if we have only xx in spades.and pass if wee have xxx in spades and compete with 3D later.This may not sound very logical to many.If as the responder we have a game forcing hand we either bid 2S or an artificial 3C .It is too lengthy to go into details but perhaps may give a generasl idea of what we play as GF OR SGF.THANKS

#23 User is offline   kingfish 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-October-06, 10:04

View PostStephen Tu, on 2019-October-06, 08:52, said:

Artificial bid is not equal to "lying about your holdings". Stayman is not a "lie about clubs", since no one is ever intending to have the 2c bid deceive anyone at the table about having clubs. It's just an artificial bid that says nothing about the club holding initially. A cue bid is an artificial call, and on the auctions being discussed functions more or less like fourth suit artificial and forcing, or third suit artificial and forcing. Your opponent has bid the suit, so your 3rd/4th suit call happens to coincide with this. Also the auction has sometimes consumed more space than it would uncontested, so you need the cue to create a low level GF, since having to jump with all your good hands would now bring you past 3nt, a valuable contract (why force yourself to declare 4nt and go down 1 when no bonus for being in 4 rather than 3, also 4nt is often blackwood/RKC), or have you bid a game contract (e.g. 4H), which partner would want to pass the vast majority of the time (because again, why go higher for no bonus), but if you have undisclosed slam interest this is not good.

Any experienced bridge player is "in on the secret". When you are bidding the opponent's suit you are looking for either for support for your suit, a notrump stopper, or setting up a forcing rebid on the next round, either in your partner's suit or your own suit. There is no "lying" involved. Artificial bids are fairly essential in bridge.

Auction has gone 1d-(1s)-2H. Uncontested, maybe you would have bid 1d-p-1h-p-2d to show a minimum hand and long diamonds. Now the auction is higher, 3d is also needed to show a minimum hand. But what if you have 6 diamonds and a good hand but no spade stopper? Obviously you can't bid 3d. You can't raise hearts without support. Do you really want to jump to 4d and go past 3nt? What is left but cue?

Sure artificial bids are essential. Artificial bids are inherently different from natural ones. I was just explaining that I see that difference. Artificial bids only work if partner knows what they mean. If they meant what they appear to be they wouldn't be artificial. I am not a newbie rejecting artificial bids, I'm just suggesting that DABs differ from reverses in their presumptive acceptance. I am positing that DABs are not "just part of the bidding" but something someone might not actually play.

I agree that this is a situation where natural bidding is not getting the job done well. I don't disagree DABs can be helpful when you are stuck guessing stoppers, they can. Every convention has something it does to make some sticky situation less sticky. Much like avoiding bad slams where a convention helps a lot. Much like identifying shortage. However. conventions are not just like a major suit minimum raise, they have a coded intent and you can opt not to play them.

I am trying to ascertain whether, in the presence of an extended partnership discussion of conventions where DABs did not come up and Western Cues were denied, I should just assume DABs are 'on.' I am not denying their value, just trying to find out if DABs are so universal that the cuebid shown will always be taken as a DAB and any exception is partner's mistake. It is obvious that some would take it as a Western Cue but they are close enough that it is almost semantics. But some would take it as diamond support (half of those I've asked) and some would take it as values with the next bid making that clearer. But if these people with other ideas about the meaning are JUST PLAIN WRONG then I can disregard their take. If it is plausible that DABs are not implicitly ON then they are NOT just plain wrong, exceptions might not be partner's mistake and I have to establish an explicit agreement with all partners on the matter.

So far, everyone's tone implies that DABs can never be off but their evidence is that it is helpful. Lots of things people don't play are helpful. Exclusion Blackwood comes to mind and you'd NEVER touch that one without an explicit agreement. That is why I seem argumentative. I am trying to battle past the rabid defense of the convention to determine whether it is an explicit agreement thing or a take-it-for-granted kind of thing.

The obscurity of the Eastern Cue stops me from taking it as indisputable proof that the convention must be explicitly agreed. The people who don't play a convention don't go around explaining the things they don't play (with the exceptions of Flannery and... wait for it... Western Cues - [there may be others]). So it is hard to find published thought detailing the not playing of DABs.

Although this discussion is becoming labored, I am still open to being convinced that DABs are as universal as "playing reverses" however I am not close to being persuaded of that.

Thanks to all for trying to help.

#24 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-06, 10:47

Many conventions are optional. This sort of cue setting up a GF is not.
The people who think it promises support for partner are just plain wrong. They were taught incorrectly, or more likely incorrectly generalized the 1d-(1s)-2s case they were taught which does guarantee support to an auction where it doesn't apply, because you have a simple raise to invite and a lack of way to force holding just hearts, or no real fit and no stopper to just jump to 3nt.

The cue in this position showing some GF I would take as 99.999% standard among decent players. I would not ever bother even discussing it when forming a new partnership, it's a given. If a person thought it showed diamond support, then to me this is just a novice/low intermediate who was taught incorrectly, and if I were playing with them I would teach them the correct meaning.
There are dozens upon dozens of conventions that I would never assume were on without discussion. But not this one.

Default conventions also vary considerably based on the level of partner you are playing with. In the U.S., if I was drafted as a pickup partner for any advanced player, not having a ton of time to discuss, for example I'd assume 1c-(2c) as Michaels cue automatically. But not if I was paired with a beginner with like 5 masterpoints.

#25 User is offline   kingfish 

• Pip

Posted 2019-October-06, 11:15

View PostStephen Tu, on 2019-October-06, 10:47, said:

Many conventions are optional. This sort of cue setting up a GF is not.
The people who think it promises support for partner are just plain wrong. They were taught incorrectly, or more likely generalized the 1d-(1s)-2s case which does guarantee support to an auction where it doesn't apply, because you have a simple raise to invite and a lack of way to force holding just hearts, or no real fit and no stopper to just jump to 3nt.

The cue in this position showing some GF I would take as 99.999% standard among decent players. I would not ever bother even discussing it when forming a new partnership, it's a given. If a person thought it showed diamond support, then to me this is just a novice/low intermediate who was taught incorrectly, and if I were playing with them I would teach them the correct meaning.
There are dozens upon dozens of conventions that I would never assume were on without discussion. But not this one.

Thank you.

#26 User is offline   3338231 

• Pip

Posted 2019-October-06, 19:18

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-October-06, 09:03, said:

Ridiculous, partner always has xxx, Ax, AQxxxx, Kx if you pass and you make +3

With my luck, when I bid 5D with in that scenario, opening leader leads from short spades holding JTxx of Diamonds.

#27 User is offline   3338231 

• Pip

Posted 2019-October-06, 19:21

Of course, when I bid 5D with that assumption, opening leader
leads from short spades to partner, holding JTxx of trump.

#28 User is offline   3338231 

• Pip

Posted 2019-October-06, 19:22

#29 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-07, 04:37

View Post3338231, on 2019-October-06, 19:22, said:

YOu don't bid 5 immediately, but you keep the auction open, yes it can go off, but you want to be in it

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users