• You cannot reply to this topic

Missed the best lead

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2019-November-14, 16:46

Pairs:

I thought the singleton diamond was a reasonable lead. It went to partner's king, and partner led one back for me to ruff. I didn't like the look of the A or the heart suit potentially providing discards, so cashed my A and switched to a heart. Declarer went up with the ace, drew trumps in two rounds ending in dummy, and threw the heart loser on the A. 10 tricks made.

The problem was I am ruffing with a natural trump trick (I didn't know this at the time), and at the same time setting up dummy's ace for a discard, hence I gave a trick away. I need to lead a heart at trick one to establish partner's king, and not setting up a diamond discard for declarer. This holds it to nine tricks.

Here's me thinking the standard opening lead advice was to lead partner's suit he has overcalled.

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-14, 17:22

For what it's worth, if you click on the GIB button, you'll see that a diamond lead is in fact the only way to hold declarer to 9 tricks.

Though of course, the fact the diamond lead didn't work doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't the best lead.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2019-November-14, 17:40

View Postsmerriman, on 2019-November-14, 17:22, said:

For what it's worth, if you click on the GIB button, you'll see that a diamond lead is in fact the only way to hold declarer to 9 tricks.

Though of course, the fact the diamond lead didn't work doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't the best lead.

I don't know how that GIB button works, all I get is a lot of green squares with a 1 in them, except the dimond which has an =.

I have gone through it on Bridgewebs, and I now see how it can be held, and why the heart lead at trick 1 doesn't work. North switches to a club at trick 2, I win and put the heart through. Declarer can put up the ace but can't untangle the diamonds for a heart discard because I can ruff and we make the HK. If I do it the other way around and start with a heart, followed by a diamond when in with the A, that doesn't work, because declarer takes the finesse, partner can't attack diamonds, declarer gets back in, ruffs the hearts good, gets to dummy, and throws the diamond loser on the established hearts. All I can do is ruff with my master trump.

I'll admit I am not the best at analysing a bridge hand.

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-14, 17:49

View PostAL78, on 2019-November-14, 17:40, said:

I don't know how that GIB button works, all I get is a lot of green squares with a 1 in them, except the dimond which has an =.

That means those cards let declarer make 3+1, while the diamond restricts the contract to 3=.

You can click the Play button and click cards to see how things adapt with various lines.

#5 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-14, 17:57

View PostAL78, on 2019-November-14, 17:40, said:

What this means is that declarer can make an overtrick on any lead except a diamond. The = sign means on best declarer and defence play, the diamond lead results in 9 tricks. If the card has a red box with a number in it, pkaying that card will result in the contract failing by that many tricks.

You can look at the double dummy result at any point of the play by clicking through to that point and selecting the button.

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-15, 01:15

Dear AL78, for your full information, GIB plays double dummy so knows when finesses work, knows how to not let Singleton K or Doubleton Q take tricks, etc.
On the H lead, he knows finesse is off but suit splits 33 so goes for establishing it to pitch the losing D. Even N unblocking the HJ under the A to let S win the 2nd H and play D is not enough. You get 2A and a natural trump trick. Some human declarers but not all might suspect the lay out and play accordingly.

#7 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-November-15, 04:42

ALWAYS LEAD YOUR PARTNER'S SUIT except if there is any indication that from the bidding that is the wrong suit to lead. Is there any indication from the bidding that a lead is better? No.

I'd rather partner lead my suit and have a bad result than partner not to lead my suit and have a bad result.

#8 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-15, 17:16

As has been documented by other posters, a diamond is the best lead double dummy, and would almost certainly get 100% of the vote in any lead poll with most saying WTP?

To hold it to 9 tricks double dummy, North has to switch to a club at trick 2, South wins the club and switches to a heart which sets up 4 tricks for the defense.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users