Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to make this slam? Be prepared for unexpected

#1 User is offline   qsqian 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-December-18, 21:09

9 lead to A, no K or Q showed up. A dropped Q from East. How to continue?

Since 1-5, N needs table to ruff twice to set up the suit. A low was ruffed by East 8, covered by 10. Two rounds of trump, West discarded at 2nd round.

suit is not ready to run yet, another will be ruffed by East. The contract seems depending on K position now.

North found an alternative line. The 3rd was played! East ruff with last trump. Table discarded a . North took return by A, ruff to hand. Run 3 winners to discard 3 from table and ruff the loser, bring home 12 tricks.

If East did not ruff 2nd or 3rd , North will get A, A, 4 and 4 from hand and 2 ruffs from table.

Nice recovery from an extremely unfavorable distribution!

Two other tables made 6 by South with K lead.

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-December-18, 21:57

Welcome to the forums qsqian. When posting hands, please use the hand diagram tool (spade icon between two red bars on the right of the editor toolbar). Particularly with the auction mixed in with the hand, it's very hard to read your hand.

It looks like perhaps East made a mistake, ruffing declarer's losing club in front of partner who still holds C97. (Also I think there's a typo "covered by C10", you mean D10)

ahydra

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-December-19, 03:44

View Postahydra, on 2019-December-18, 21:57, said:

It looks like perhaps East made a mistake, ruffing declarer's losing club in front of partner who still holds C97. (Also I think there's a typo "covered by C10", you mean D10)

Thanks for formatting the hand. I would not have bothered to look further if there was only the original post.

Ruffing clubs a second time didn't make any difference, just changed the loser from a heart instead of a club ruff. If East pitches, declarer can ruff, ruff a spade, draw trump, and cash club winners and A, losing a heart at trick 13.

#4 User is offline   qsqian 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-December-19, 11:25

View Postahydra, on 2019-December-18, 21:57, said:

Welcome to the forums qsqian. When posting hands, please use the hand diagram tool (spade icon between two red bars on the right of the editor toolbar). Particularly with the auction mixed in with the hand, it's very hard to read your hand.

ahydra

Thanks for helping. My first time in forum.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users