• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

40-60 or 40-50?

#21 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-December-30, 04:19

Tramticket, on 2019-December-30, 02:46, said:

How do I get to sit east/West when you are directing? There must be a queue!

No, I have never experienced maintaining proper conditions of play at that table during the session to be any problem for anyone.
(And we avoid Mitchell movements unless absolutely necessary)

#22 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2019-December-30, 04:24

gordontd, on 2019-December-30, 02:38, said:

This was last stated to be the case in the 1997 laws. In the 2007 laws all that was said was:

"Many headings present in the 1997 Laws have been removed in the interests of streamlining their appearance. Where headings remain they do not limit the application of any law, nor indeed does the omission of a cross-reference." I don't think this says quite the same thing.

The question with Law 7D is not limiting the application of the law, it is whether it expands the application to include "procedures" in addition to "conditions".

#23 User is offline   pilun 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-December-30, 16:11

Wrong board instances are very rare. Scores on the wrong side, wrong number of tricks, are much more common. Thus Easts tend to focus their eyes on the inputs that South gets wrong - suit, declarer, tricks - and assume that South at least got the board number right.

I think that the Board 24 instance happened like this ...
South was the sort who waits till the PLAY is over before entering anything. We discourage this delay but it's hard to enforce. Play on Bd 23 finished, there might have been some chat as Bd 23 was removed to replaced by Bd 24. South grabbed the BM and keyed the number of the board staring at her.

Having an alert for a lead inconsistent with the hand record would solve much of this but players are obstinately slack about keying the right pip. Are other directors having more success with this than I am?

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-30, 18:00

Here, Bridgemates automatically enter the number of the board expected to be played at the time, and complain vociferously if you change it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-December-31, 04:31

blackshoe, on 2019-December-30, 18:00, said:

Here, Bridgemates automatically enter the number of the board expected to be played at the time, and complain vociferously if you change it.

Sounds like this plus the lead consistency check is the way to go.

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-December-31, 10:51

blackshoe, on 2019-December-30, 18:00, said:

That seems to be a configuration setting.

In a movement where tables share boards, the automatic board number is usually disabled, as you're more likely to get it wrong by accepting the default even though you're playing boards out of order.

But I was playing in a club last week with BridgeMates, and even though it was a normal Mitchell movement with no shared boards, they had the automatic entry disabled. But it still asked for confirmation when I tried to enter an out-of-order board number (it was intentional, we inadvertently played the wrong board first in a new round -- luckily it was 4-board rounds, so it was obvious when I wasn't dealer).

#27 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-December-31, 11:10

barmar, on 2019-December-31, 10:51, said:

But I was playing in a club last week with BridgeMates, and even though it was a normal Mitchell movement with no shared boards, they had the automatic entry disabled. But it still asked for confirmation when I tried to enter an out-of-order board number (it was intentional, we inadvertently played the wrong board first in a new round -- luckily it was 4-board rounds, so it was obvious when I wasn't dealer).

The last time we played the wrong board first in a new round of a normal Mitchell with BridgeMates we had to call Director to enter an out-of-order board number (I think it was configured that way, not just inexperience on our part).
Be that as it may, playing the wrong board first is considered a major error, unlike with Travellers.

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-31, 13:34

barmar, on 2019-December-31, 10:51, said:

That seems to be a configuration setting.

In a movement where tables share boards, the automatic board number is usually disabled, as you're more likely to get it wrong by accepting the default even though you're playing boards out of order.

Yes, it's a configuration setting. IME, the automatic board number is not disabled, even when there's a share.

pescetom, on 2019-December-31, 11:10, said:

The last time we played the wrong board first in a new round of a normal Mitchell with BridgeMates we had to call Director to enter an out-of-order board number (I think it was configured that way, not just inexperience on our part).
Be that as it may, playing the wrong board first is considered a major error, unlike with Travellers.

Considered a major error by whom? The laws certainly don't care in what order the boards are played.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#29 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-December-31, 16:41

blackshoe, on 2019-December-31, 13:34, said:

Considered a major error by whom? The laws certainly don't care in what order the boards are played.

By the players, who have learned that it is important not to make this error when playing with bridge mates configured this way.
As I said, with travellers it was no real issue.

#30 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2020-January-01, 04:47

pescetom, on 2019-December-31, 16:41, said:

By the players, who have learned that it is important not to make this error when playing with bridge mates configured this way.
As I said, with travellers it was no real issue.

There is no problem playing boards out of sequence when Bridgemate is configured to expect/suggest which board is "next".
You simply override the board number and enter the actual board number on the Bridgemate when needed.

Bridgemate will warn whenever a board number already played or not to be played in this round is entered.

#31 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-January-01, 04:53

pran, on 2020-January-01, 04:47, said:

There is no problem playing boards out of sequence when Bridgemate is configured to expect/suggest which board is "next".
You simply override the board number and enter the actual board number on the Bridgemate when needed.

That makes sense but as said, nobody at the table managed to override it last time this happened.
Not sure if we were just too dumb or if it was configured to require Director's permission to override.
I'll ask him next time we meet.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users