• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is BBO overwhelmed?

#1 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-22, 08:58

Playing in robot games, I'm finding it difficult to get through a deal, or sometimes even two consecutive tricks, without getting kicked out to the lobby and having to start the game again. Is this because BBO is overwhelmed with players (because live bridge clubs are closed)? If so, I understand. I just want to determine whether the problem is at BBO's end or at my end.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-March-22, 09:03

View Postbixby, on 2020-March-22, 08:58, said:

Playing in robot games, I'm finding it difficult to get through a deal, or sometimes even two consecutive tricks, without getting kicked out to the lobby and having to start the game again. Is this because BBO is overwhelmed with players (because live bridge clubs are closed)? If so, I understand. I just want to determine whether the problem is at BBO's end or at my end.

Thanks.

I have been running into similar issues.

I am scheduled to play my regular weekly social game with some friends in 30 minutes or so.
Normally lasts for a coule hours

It will be interesting to see whether this performs better than the robot tournaments.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-March-22, 12:44

We've added more robot servers this afternoon, and we're going to be adding more in the next day or so.

The answer to the general question is "yes". Our peak load has tripled in the past couple of weeks, we've been scambling to try to keep up with it.

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-22, 13:51

View Postbarmar, on 2020-March-22, 12:44, said:

We've added more robot servers this afternoon, and we're going to be adding more in the next day or so.

The answer to the general question is "yes". Our peak load has tripled in the past couple of weeks, we've been scambling to try to keep up with it.

And doing a great job in the circumstances.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-March-22, 14:43

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-March-22, 09:03, said:

I have been running into similar issues.

I am scheduled to play my regular weekly social game with some friends in 30 minutes or so.
Normally lasts for a coule hours

It will be interesting to see whether this performs better than the robot tournaments.

Game went very smoothly
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-22, 14:52

Thanks for your reply. As I said, I understand. I'm not complaining; I just wanted to be sure the problem wasn't at my end. Thanks for being there! It's great to be able to play while homebound.

#7 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-23, 07:30

I have been noticing that the number of users has greatly increased. Well done in keeping up.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-23, 08:01

I saw the system fairly stable yesterday with 28K users, only a few lost connections who easily got back in again.
Just a few weeks ago 13K was about the limit.
And right now with 21K online it is faster than it was then.
Great work by the BBO team.

#9 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2020-March-23, 09:17

We all realize how "under the gun" everyone involved with the BBO system has been with the quick doubling and tripling of players since the start of the month. We all appreciate the hard work all of the BBO folks have completed, especially since I think it will be June at least before there is much face to face bridge.

Bud

#10 User is offline   alansc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-March-23, 11:56

Some of the ACBL speedball games have been filling up to 300 pairs max well before game time. Any way can you increase capacity for those?

#11 User is offline   CanadaGrl 

• Pip

Posted 2020-March-23, 12:25

View Postalansc, on 2020-March-23, 11:56, said:

Some of the ACBL speedball games have been filling up to 300 pairs max well before game time. Any way can you increase capacity for those?

BBO understands it's frustrating that the games are filling up so quickly and we're doing our best to get more TDs trained and working so limits can be increased. As you know, speedballs generate many TD calls for slow play and unfinished board adjustments. We're also looking to add new slower games to the schedule so the newer to BBO players have a more comfortable game environment also :) Thanks in advance for your patience while we all work through this adjustment period. B-)

#12 User is offline   CanadaGrl 

• Pip

Posted 2020-March-23, 12:27

View Postpescetom, on 2020-March-23, 08:01, said:

I saw the system fairly stable yesterday with 28K users, only a few lost connections who easily got back in again.
Just a few weeks ago 13K was about the limit.
And right now with 21K online it is faster than it was then.
Great work by the BBO team.

35K last night and all seemed stable :) *Knock on wood*

#13 User is offline   Povratnik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-24, 07:57

I also have no intention to complain, but I have to ask something, out of sheer curiosity...

Last few weeks, I am frequently asked am I there, even if I am playing at the moment. So the server that serves my play, of course "knows" that I am playing. However, another server "sees" my inactivity and asks me if I'm there. What would be exact explanation of the issue?
Alien in the XXI century, arrived by time machine

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-March-24, 08:04

View PostPovratnik, on 2020-March-24, 07:57, said:

Last few weeks, I am frequently asked am I there, even if I am playing at the moment. So the server that serves my play, of course "knows" that I am playing. However, another server "sees" my inactivity and asks me if I'm there. What would be exact explanation of the issue?

If you're playing a daylong or challenge, the play is handled by a separate server, the main server isn't in the loop. So it doesn't realize that you're active and the idle timer is triggered.

We reduced the idle timers to reduce the load during the crisis, and this was an unexpected side effect.

#15 User is offline   pedrao 

• Pip

Posted 2020-March-24, 08:20

YES, but they do not admit it- it is a bandwidth limitation - sometimes it is on our end.
For example, I was overseas and could only log in using the hotel wifi. It was so limited that I got kicked out many times for taking too long to play.

Actually it was the wifi that was too slow. I suggested to BBO that they could test the member wifi connection speed at login time or game entry time, and send the member a notice that the wifi was too slow.

Because I had a slow wifi, and got substituted by robot, my average dropped way low, but it was not my fault. It was, in my opinion a BBO deficiency.

#16 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-March-24, 08:29

View Postpedrao, on 2020-March-24, 08:20, said:

YES, but they do not admit it- it is a bandwidth limitation - sometimes it is on our end.
For example, I was overseas and could only log in using the hotel wifi. It was so limited that I got kicked out many times for taking too long to play.

Actually it was the wifi that was too slow. I suggested to BBO that they could test the member wifi connection speed at login time or game entry time, and send the member a notice that the wifi was too slow.

Because I had a slow wifi, and got substituted by robot, my average dropped way low, but it was not my fault. It was, in my opinion a BBO deficiency.

The fact that you had crappy last mile is hardly a BBO deficiency
Alderaan delenda est

#17 User is offline   sawdust101 

• Pip

Posted 2020-March-24, 09:59

none of my challenges are registering.is this a problem on my end.

#18 User is offline   sawdust101 

• Pip

Posted 2020-March-24, 09:59

none of my challenges are registering.is this a problem on my end.

#19 User is offline   skperk 

• Pip

Posted 2020-March-24, 11:41

The games to support clubs are beneficial. Please consider adding a 1:00 club support game or moving the 5:00 game to 1:00 EST. The 5:00 and 7:30 games are too close together. Thank you.

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-March-25, 09:02

View Postskperk, on 2020-March-24, 11:41, said:

The games to support clubs are beneficial. Please consider adding a 1:00 club support game or moving the 5:00 game to 1:00 EST. The 5:00 and 7:30 games are too close together. Thank you.

2-4pm is our busiest time, we have to avoid this overlap.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users