• Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-02, 11:56

How should this be bid?
E deals and passes, EW pass throughout

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-April-03, 03:20

I see that you play 2/1 so I would guess a basic (vanilla) 2/1 auction would go 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 or 3NT - 4 - 4 (cue bid) - 4 (cue bid) - 5 (cue bid) - 6

Even though the hand is a misfit, the North hand is huge in terms of playing strength. The suit is nearly self-sufficient in itself. There are plenty of hands I can envisage, even though South is a minimum opener where 6 is a sound contract. I believe that with the cards shown, 6 has over a 60% chance of making.

It would be very unlucky to find South with a hand where 6 has no chance. The other consideration is that with a long suit the opponents will have to find discards and that may lead to various squeeze or endplay possibilities.

#3 User is offline   themarc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-04, 14:06

View PostFelicityR, on 2020-April-03, 03:20, said:

I see that you play 2/1 so I would guess a basic (vanilla) 2/1 auction would go 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 or 3NT - 4 - 4 (cue bid) - 4 (cue bid) - 5 (cue bid) - 6

Even though the hand is a misfit, the North hand is huge in terms of playing strength. The suit is nearly self-sufficient in itself. There are plenty of hands I can envisage, even though South is a minimum opener where 6 is a sound contract. I believe that with the cards shown, 6 has over a 60% chance of making.

It would be very unlucky to find South with a hand where 6 has no chance. The other consideration is that with a long suit the opponents will have to find discards and that may lead to various squeeze or endplay possibilities.

Thank you Felicity. Our auction was same for first three rounds, then went off rails when partner bid 5D. I still made 5H cue bid, but partner responded 5NT where I was lost and passed, making 7 on non-spade lead. Of course 5S would now no longer be a cue bid. I guess I should just have bid 6D.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users