• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

logical alternatives

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-22, 20:27

View Postpescetom, on 2020-April-22, 14:32, said:

I think the whole auction is rather poor, but very suspicious is an overbid IMO.
One sees bids like this all the time in bridge, not everyone knows what they are doing even on a good day.

I have never seen bids like this.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-22, 20:52

Some random psyche is of course always an option with such weak hands, but even as a psyche 2 seems pointless.

I don't think it is particularly suspicious, though. Even if S had a wire there's no way he could know that he wouldn't get doubled.

It's just a misclick or brain fart.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#23 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-23, 07:43

I will make some other noise:
If RHO had passed, this would be an automatic raise to 2 for my partner and me. We are well aware that this hand is flat and that the honor placement is... err... horrible. But, then again, we describe our raises as destructive. With RHO bidding, it would not be automatic anymore, since they have conveyed information, but it pays to be bold, particularly when it won't surprise partner, since she is used to this style. So, it depends on style.

There is a strong pair in Stockholm (Sweden), Göran Hammarström and Mikael Arnberg, who go as far as using this principle in response to an opening (admittedly in the context of a strong 1 system). 1-Pass-2 means: "STOP right here, partner!" The raise can be made on 0 HCPs with 2 or 4 card support or with 9 HCPs and a doubleton spade. These are all hands where the opponents are supposed to figure out what to do.

I have played against them and I will tell you that it is not easy to figure out what to do. They win on these auctions. (On other auctions they win too, but that is because they are strong players. Here, they win even more.)

Having said all that: 2 would not have occured to me.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users