BBO Discussion Forums: Private Club member can't join club events - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Private Club member can't join club events Member added can join club tourneys, but not club events in casual

#1 User is offline   GG_Bridge 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-15, 18:13

Member added can't function fully in our club.

I'm wondering ... If there are two separate servers, and they don't communicate, are there also two complete databases of BBO members -- one on each server.

I am part of admin in the Intermediate/Advanced Club (IAC), and we have member who was added right about the time the 2nd server was created -- Tazz2. She can join tournaments hosted by bbo_iac, but cannot join a table in the club (under casual), when there is a mentoring session ongoing.

Could it be that she exists on one server, and not the other?

We've tried everything we can think of --- but nothing works to try to fix this on our end.

Charlene (GG_Bridge)

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-May-18, 17:57

In order to access the new Casual server you have to be using the new version of BBO: Either the HTML version or the mobile app.

So the table host and players all have to be using the same version.

#3 User is offline   hevenly1 

• Pip

Posted 2020-May-19, 02:47

View PostGG_Bridge, on 2020-May-15, 18:13, said:

Member added can't function fully in our club.

I'm wondering ... If there are two separate servers, and they don't communicate, are there also two complete databases of BBO members -- one on each server.

I am part of admin in the Intermediate/Advanced Club (IAC), and we have member who was added right about the time the 2nd server was created -- Tazz2. She can join tournaments hosted by bbo_iac, but cannot join a table in the club (under casual), when there is a mentoring session ongoing.

Could it be that she exists on one server, and not the other?

We've tried everything we can think of --- but nothing works to try to fix this on our end.

Charlene (GG_Bridge)

Hi Charlene
Has the member got Flash Player installed on their PC? We found Our club members were logging in to an older version of BBO because they couldn’t log in to the updated version as they either didn’t have flash player or hadn’t updated it. Logging into an old version and clicking Casual doesn’t switch you to the casual server. They need to install Flash and connect to the updated BBO website. Resolved all the connection issues for us.

#4 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-May-19, 03:03

View Posthevenly1, on 2020-May-19, 02:47, said:

Hi Charlene
Has the member got Flash Player installed on their PC? We found Our club members were logging in to an older version of BBO because they couldn’t log in to the updated version as they either didn’t have flash player or hadn’t updated it. Logging into an old version and clicking Casual doesn’t switch you to the casual server. They need to install Flash and connect to the updated BBO website. Resolved all the connection issues for us.

ooops
Now I can count 4 times when you have spouted this incorrect information.
It is amazing that you have done this immediately after Barmar (who should know these things) has given the corect information.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-19, 03:14

View Posthevenly1, on 2020-May-19, 02:47, said:

Hi Charlene
Has the member got Flash Player installed on their PC? We found Our club members were logging in to an older version of BBO because they couldn't log in to the updated version as they either didn't have flash player or hadn't updated it. Logging into an old version and clicking Casual doesn't switch you to the casual server. They need to install Flash and connect to the updated BBO website. Resolved all the connection issues for us.

Although this has resolved all the issues for hevenly1's group, it is not a good or viable long term solution. Flash will stop working in the next 3-6 months due to severe security concerns over the product and, although it may get everyone working now, they are exposing their PCs to other threats.

The reason that getting everyone using the Flash version works is that none of them are using the new Casual server. Everyone using Flash is constrained to the main server and they can create tables, see clubs, etc that only reside on the main server. If everyone is using Flash this is fine in the sense that you can see everyone you need to, but you will not see the vast majority of the club. For example, the IAC club may have three tables on the main server and 57 tables on the Casual server, both unknown to each other.

The answer is to get everyone onto the latest version of BBO. This means not using Flash, but using the normal client on bridgebase.com.

I don't have an iPad but my experience is that iPad users seem slow to update the BBO app on their systems. I'm surprised it is not automatic, but if iPad users upgrade to the latest BBO app from the Apple Store then everyone will be using the latest version of BBO and be able to play happily on the Casual server.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-19, 12:32

I am afraid neither of answers understood the problem.

View PostGG_Bridge, on 2020-May-15, 18:13, said:

... I'm wondering ... If there are two separate servers, and they don't communicate, are there also two complete databases of BBO members -- one on each server.
Could it be that she exists on one server, and not the other? ....
Charlene (GG_Bridge)

This member has been added to the club on the day servers got split. She can join IAC tournament, which is exclusive for iac members, "outsiders" are automatically rejected by bbo. So, clearly "main" server sees Tazz as IAC member.

Once she passes to casual, she can see club managers and TDs online, as well as we see her, but she is denied entry to IAC room, or any IAC table, getting blue screen error that says "it is a private club and you need register". Logical conclusion is that casual server does not recognize her as member, I wonder if bbo just copied our member list as it was on the day of separation, and now of course does not update it?

We asked yellows, but they do not know how to help. We send mails to bbo support, and other than ticket we were never answered.
Now we know same happens to ALL members we added to IAC since the server separation. They can not see lessons, main reason why they joined the club.
Very frustrating.

PS: Needless say it has nothing to do with Flash, members have to use V3 to access lessons using bbo voice.

EDIT: Just remembered another fact. When bbo_iac, club manager, broadcasts announcement of lesson just about to start, which until recently went to all members online as private chat, now goes only to members at main server, which again is pretty silly, coz ones that await lesson in casual are not informed.

#7 User is offline   EddyHaskel 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-May-19, 16:57

It does seem like there must be two separate access tags (or priv lists or however club members are identified by the software) for the two different servers, essentially creating two separate groups.
Members who had access to the club prior to the server split can see both. Clearly the club membership tags for them got copied to the new server.
New members, (those joining since the server split) can only access club functions on the tourney/competitive server but not on the casual side.
If that's the case the problem will be how to merge them without causing more headaches?

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-May-20, 15:08

Both servers use the same club membership database.

I'm not sure what you mean by "club functions". A club is just a set of tables that are only usable by club members. If the table is created on the Casual server, it can't be seen on the Main server, and vice versa. And this depends on the version of the client that the table host is using.

#9 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-20, 15:26

View Postbarmar, on 2020-May-20, 15:08, said:

Both servers use the same club membership database.

Untrue Barry.
NO MEMBER added to Iac after server split can join IAC room. NONE.
So they definately do not share same database, because on main server they can join exclusive trnys and they get bbo mail with club events, sent daily.

We have tested and tested. There was a way around in V2 when we would invite non-mmeber to join table, they could then stand but still remain in club and able join another table. That doesnt work in V3 either. Which for security reasons is ok, but we just can NOT get new members assist lessons, unless we bother teacher reserve seats for them, authorized members.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-May-20, 15:59

I'm looking into it. It may be that the server caches club membership lists, and both servers need to be told to update the cache when you add members.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-May-20, 16:30

So it turns out this is a known issue with the split. Club membership lists can only be edited with V1, which only talks to the old server. There is indeed a cache, the server has to be told that the database changed out from under it, but nothing tells the new server.

As a simple workaround, we might periodically tell the casual server to reload from the database. So it will know about the new members, but not immediately.

#12 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-20, 16:59

TY very much, that will help :) We are really trying not be PITA, so any mid solution is fine. One weekly update will be just fine, if possible.

Meanwhhile, it all should be solved and get immediate answer when servers can communicate, is that correct? I just wonder how soon it will be, almost passed 2 weeks.
And while I nag, allow me remind that 2 months passed since no free trnys,

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users