Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

carding

#1 User is offline   2sage 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-02, 13:30

We are in a suit contract, I am on lead,(partner has not supported my suit) with the A. Partner discard a small card. Assuming he had 3 cards I do not follow with the K, placing declarer with a singleton. Partner had QX and claims it is standard practice to discard small from Qx doubleton. Where can I find on the internet confirmation of such.
THANK YOU for your feedback.

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-02, 14:07

You need to give the complete auction, and your hand and dummy, plus spot cards played to give the most informed answer. Is ace from AK standard for you? Forum members aren't mind readers.

Standard practice is that following suit with a queen shows the singleton queen, or also shows the jack.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-02, 14:28

Might be hard to find comprehensive information about defensive carding on the internet. Instead I recommend finding a copy of Bill Root's "How to Defend a Bridge Hand" book. Alternatively maybe Eddie Kantar's "Eddie Kantar teachs Modern Bridge Defense".

For just singular questions you can just query here. As John said signalling with the Q promises J/stiff Q. This allows some good things like letting partner underlead to a jack for an attack in another suit. But it leads to ambiguity when partner has Qx and wants a ruff when you led from AKx(xx), and his x is opposite rank of your std/upside down agreements that you actually want on a given hand.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-02, 15:30

It is standard to play low, playing the Q says I have QJ and you can underlead.

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-03, 05:33

Standard practice is that there is no standard practice. If you want to know how the robots defend you can get some vague idea by looking up the GIB system notes here.
Without any information from the Auction Journalist leads are favoured by some (overleading) Rusinow by others. Most people would call this "standard" but not GIB so it really seems to be a matter of style.
If you want to start a good fight in a Bridge club start the conversation by saying with xxxx you absolutely must lead x. Then just leave the room and come back in a week. Nobody will be left alive.

Larry Cohen
Australian Bridge Federation
Jim Rasmussen
False carding from the youth bridge federation (the second last kid on the right looks like me when I was his age!)
And here's the Search term I used with a who;e lot more...
Here's a video on signals while defending from Rob Barrington - a bit off-topic, but I really like Rob's style https://www.youtube....h?v=ioaD1eJA3-o

Here is what the GIB notes say about defense:
GIB doesn't interpret your signals or make many inferences from the play, it uses simulations based on the auction. However, it's usually able to figure out that when you lead an honor, it's part of a sequence.

GIB usually leads passively against NT (read the book Winning Notrump Leads to understand why). Don't assume it's leading its longest suit. When you lead, it doesn't assume you're leading your best suit, which is why it doesn't always return the suit like a human would.

In suit contracts, GIB's opening lead is frequently a side singleton or doubleton, to try to get a ruff. When it leads a suit bid by the opponents, this is almost always the reason. Read the book Winning Suit Contract Leads for insight on the way GIB leads against suits.

If it leads an honor that's part of a sequence, it uses standard honor leads (K from AKx, A from AK doubleton). If it leads from a long suit, it leads 4th best (but see above: it doesn't always lead its long suit). When leading from 3 small, it leads low against both suit and NT contracts.

It doesn't use any signals when making discards, it just tries to make safe discards. In a suit contract it will frequently discard from a short suit while it has trumps left. Otherwise, it tends to discard from a long suit that's safe to shorten.

When it's following to partner's opening lead, it will usually give an attitude signal:

• High spot card with an Ace or King
  • High spot card with a Queen behind dummy's Ace or King
  • Low in any other situation
Note that it doesn't give count in this situation, so it's hard to know when you can give it a ruff.

When it's trying to win the trick in third hand, it will play the lowest of equals. Otherwise, when following suit it usually gives standard count signals (high = even); an exception is when it's forced to play equivalent cards in a doubleton, it will randomize them because of "restricted choice".
Fortuna Fortis Felix

#6 User is offline   2sage 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-03, 10:23

View Postjohnu, on 2020-June-02, 14:07, said:

You need to give the complete auction, and your hand and dummy, plus spot cards played to give the most informed answer. Is ace from AK standard for you? Forum members aren't mind readers.

Standard practice is that following suit with a queen shows the singleton queen, or also shows the jack.

Thank you all for taking the time to explain. I am grateful.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users