Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Director responses What should we expect from directors

#1 User is offline   papasmok1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-11, 03:18

I only started playing on BBO in the March lockdown.
On several occasions my partner or I have called for the director.
Reasons have varied from slow play; chat in foreign language during the play with English having been declared as the only language; advice during between opponents.
The director arrives at the table but we hear nothing from them.
The only time I received an immediate response was to tell me they would have done better to not increase the limit on the tournament to let me in.
Yesterday I asked the director if an opening bid of 1d with a void was legal and have heard nothing.
Several directors state that there is zero tolerance for rudeness but no action seems to come from reporting this.

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-11, 08:37

No hablamos inglés. ¡Español solamente, por favor!

Why do you think you (and not the opponents) have the right to set the language? In an ACBL tournament, okay (but don't expect the TDs to enforce that "rule" in Montréal (whenever they get their NABC back) or Puerto Vallarta). Online? Especially not in a game run by the BBO ACBL club? Also, please note that you have a tool you wouldn't have IRL: Google Translate. If it's "Bridge Spanish" (maybe less so "Bridge Mandarin"), you should be able to understand it straight up, if it's less bridge, GT will.

In general:

It all depends on the game that's being run. (that applies to "English only" as well. If it's a rule of the event, then it should be enforced. If it's not stated, then we're back to "catering to you".)

If it was an ACBL BBO club game, then it's up to the rules of the BBO club, but I believe that's "ACBL Open chart", which has zero issues (and the old GCC had zero issues) with a 0+ 1!D opening. I do hope that that wasn't the complete explanation, and if you asked for details, you got them (the one I frequently play against (multiple-time Canadian Open team members, by the way) is "11-15, 0-5 , all BAL outside NT range, all UNBAL without 5cM or 6c").

If it was an EBU club game, the rules are different, but I believe the legality is the same.

If it was a private game, then whatever the director decides is legal, is legal. Please note I've run games (not on BBO) where 1 "0-7 ANY hand" was legal.

Yes, you deserved a response. As an occasional online TD, I can say that things get crazy sometimes, and things get missed. The fourth time someone asks about their opponents' bidding will sometimes get a more perfunctory response. But you do deserve a response to a "is it legal" question. Some calls, the caller won't get a response - for instance, for a "LHO's tanking" or "opp won't answer question". The TD will come in, review, ensure that "opp" does what they're supposed to, and everything continues. I try to remember to fire off an "all good?" after, but I don't really want to distract from play once it's started again!
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-September-11, 09:51

Mycroft:
I was never in México, nor in a Montréal NABC, but the Can-Am (Montréal Regional) is certainly full of French speak (but people usualy can explain in English if requested, or you can ask a TD to translate).
papasmok1:
If you have issues with directors in BBO as an ACBL club (host is ACBL), message ACBL or email acbl@bridgebase.com.
Other games have other contact points.

#4 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-September-11, 10:03

Oh absolutely, same in MX. But there's a difference between "could you translate, please?" or "I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish, would you mind English when we have cards in our hands?" and "English Only at the table".

Also, I know of several, both in Montréal and Mazatlán, who speak English like a native - until they're expected to. Then, suddenly, they're unilingual francophone/meztiso. No matter what I think of the appropriateness of that response, it certainly is an *effective* one for the "not willing to even try in *my* country" people.

I do know that "We're in México, deal with it" was the response of the DIC at the PV regional last year; and I also know that a slightly less blunt, but in practise equivalent, phrase was recommended by the Powers That Be for when it came up in July (until it didn't).

Totally offtopic: I'm going to miss "Director, chulo" this year.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-September-11, 13:31

View Postmycroft, on 2020-September-11, 10:03, said:

Also, I know of several, both in Montréal and Mazatlán, who speak English like a native - until they're expected to. Then, suddenly, they're unilingual francophone/meztiso. No matter what I think of the appropriateness of that response, it certainly is an *effective* one for the "not willing to even try in *my* country" people.

The same is true in Aosta or Bolzano if you *expect* anyone to speak Italian.

Why on earth should an opening bid of 1 with a void not be legal? :blink:

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-11, 18:23

"Why can't the French speak English like everybody else?" -- Bernie Wooster
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-February-20, 16:46

View Postpapasmok1, on 2020-September-11, 03:18, said:

On several occasions my partner or I have called for the director.
Reasons have varied from slow play; chat in foreign language during the play with English having been declared as the only language; advice during between opponents.
The director arrives at the table but we hear nothing from them.
The only time I received an immediate response was to tell me they would have done better to not increase the limit on the tournament to let me in.
Yesterday I asked the director if an opening bid of 1d with a void was legal and have heard nothing.
Several directors state that there is zero tolerance for rudeness but no action seems to come from reporting this.

Were these paid or free tourneys? Run for non-English countries?
If paid, complain to BBO if English language based.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users