BBO Discussion Forums: html5: bidding explanation prompt keeps reappearing - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

html5: bidding explanation prompt keeps reappearing

#1 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2020-August-15, 10:07

Hi,
I don't know the exact workflow since it happens rarely and not sure what buttons my opps are pressing in what order. But sometimes I type explanation with my bid and make the bid. Then a few seconds later someone asks about the bid (I am prompted), I just click OK since the explanation is already there, and now every few seconds the prompt keeps coming back. As if they are clicking Explain again. But surely they are not (I hope). Only way to stop is to close out BBO and come back.

Thanks,
Dan

#2 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2020-August-15, 14:40

Dan, I experience the same recurrence. Knowing some opponents, they automatically seem to ask even when I type in the explanation before bidding. :(

They want to know what GI means (frequent ask). Sometimes I don't know what they want as the explanation seems more than adequate. Usually I private chat: what is your Q?

Some opponents seem to ask about non-alertable bids also that are just normal bridge. Have patience my man. :)
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#3 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-15, 14:48

The user interface is pretty bad. What will be happening is indeed that people are clicking on Explain multiple times. But it's easy to see why - the box stays on their screen indefinitely, and they're trying to get rid of it. It's completely unobvious that the only way to make it disappear is to click in the box anywhere *except* on the Explain button, and not too surprising that people are instead trying to click the only button they can see (especially when it 'works' and the box disappears).

#4 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-August-16, 02:48

I had the same problem in a lockdown league match and played the entire hand only able to see half of dummy. Thanks for the tip about log off and return. By the way, what does GI mean please? https://www.bridgeba...fault/smile.gif

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-16, 03:13

View PostDouglas43, on 2020-August-16, 02:48, said:

By the way, what does GI mean please? https://www.bridgeba...fault/smile.gif

I would be uncertain too, but then I rarely play in English. Game Invite?

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-16, 11:07

Yes, that's what I would mean, Game Invitiational. I've seen this in several books.

However, having read the WBF "How to fill a CC" mumble years ago, I write INV (as in Keri 2, "to play 2 or various INV+")
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-16, 12:02

yes it happens all the time
sometimes users get ancy and call TD why you are trying to type in explanation before you bid
another problem its very easy to hit wrong bid after you type in explanation might be better to just
alert with nothing and wait till they ask

#8 User is offline   TUCKIE549 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-August-16, 15:09

View PostDouglas43, on 2020-August-16, 02:48, said:

I had the same problem in a lockdown league match and played the entire hand only able to see half of dummy. Thanks for the tip about log off and return. By the way, what does GI mean please? https://www.bridgeba...fault/smile.gif

I would take it to mean Game invitation

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users