BBO Discussion Forums: Novice questions - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Novice questions How the forums work

#1 User is offline   tlalamba 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-06, 19:15

Hi, I’m very new to BBO and especially the forums. I need to know how to start a topic (how to get here) I just stumbled on this and will probably not be able to find it again. I did a search for adding topic, but search didn’t recognize my query. Also could not find ‘help’ for navigation purposes?
So a couple of pointers would be helpful.
The question I really wanted to ask: I like to go to ‘stars’ and look for Team Match just to observe play and learn. Lately I have noticed that most do not allow kibitzing...any reason for this? It’s so helpful to observe their play.
Thank you for any help

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-06, 20:14

Hi welcome to the Forum - I had exactly the same problem about 8 months ago. Stick with it; the Forum and BBO are both great places but do take a bit of getting used to.

The Forum:
It's divided into several sections where you can browse around and search and read stuff on any topic If you like something you can upvote it - all social media works this way. Some of it is rubbish - most of my posts are Posted Image.
In fact, you can find a "forum" on just about anything on the web - BBO also has a Facebook page, and there is 'bridgewinners" which is very serious and many other 'static' resources.

BBO:

BBO has lots of secrets and tricks - it's like an adventure in itself trying to figure out how to work it - just like Bridge. Keep reading the Forum and clicking buttons.

Regarding your specific question, if a Star doesn't want kibbitzers, perhaps they haven't got dressed yet and don't want you to see them in their pj's.

You can always watch Vugraph.

Another trick is to 'follow' stars. then you will see when they come online and you can kibbitz.

have fun.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-06, 20:22

Hi tlalamba,

To start a new topic, first go to the forum that is most appropriate (for questions about BBO it is usually https://www.bridgeba...bbo-discussion/ )

Then you click "start new topic" in the upper right corner.

The reason why many tournaments don't allow kibitzers is that they don't want people to cheat by kibitzing themselves, using a second account.

When team matches don't allow kibitzers it's presumably more because they want some privacy for themselves, i.e. they don't want everyone to know if they are gossiping, swearing or making stupid bids.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-06, 20:41

View Posttlalamba, on 2020-September-06, 19:15, said:

Hi, I’m very new to BBO and especially the forums. I need to know how to start a topic (how to get here) I just stumbled on this and will probably not be able to find it again. I did a search for adding topic, but search didn’t recognize my query. Also could not find ‘help’ for navigation purposes?
So a couple of pointers would be helpful.
The question I really wanted to ask: I like to go to ‘stars’ and look for Team Match just to observe play and learn. Lately I have noticed that most do not allow kibitzing...any reason for this? It’s so helpful to observe their play.
Thank you for any help

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. Just a tip as beginner/novice many of the topics on this forum are at a much higher level, so don't ever feel intimidated or allow anyone to suggest you are struggling when you are not. You actually may find easier to understand stuff on the intermediate, advanced or even expert forums :)

Just as a tip as to how the threads often work. Somebody may ask quite a reasonable question asking for a bit of simple guidance, but if it is an interesting enough hand or question you will find the thread soon degenerates into a very high-level debate over advanced or even expert topics sometimes

#5 User is offline   tlalamba 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-06, 23:04

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-September-06, 20:14, said:

Hi welcome to the Forum - I had exactly the same problem about 8 months ago. Stick with it; the Forum and BBO are both great places but do take a bit of getting used to.

The Forum:
It's divided into several sections where you can browse around and search and read stuff on any topic If you like something you can upvote it - all social media works this way. Some of it is rubbish - most of my posts are Posted Image.
In fact, you can find a "forum" on just about anything on the web - BBO also has a Facebook page, and there is 'bridgewinners" which is very serious and many other 'static' resources.

BBO:

BBO has lots of secrets and tricks - it's like an adventure in itself trying to figure out how to work it - just like Bridge. Keep reading the Forum and clicking buttons.

Regarding your specific question, if a Star doesn't want kibbitzers, perhaps they haven't got dressed yet and don't want you to see them in their pj's.

Another trick is to 'follow' stars. then you will see when they come online and you can kibbitz.

have fun.

#6 User is offline   tlalamba 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-06, 23:05

The Forum:

BBO:

have fun.

Thank you

#7 User is offline   tlalamba 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-06, 23:06

Thank you

#8 User is offline   tlalamba 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-06, 23:08

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-September-06, 20:22, said:

Hi tlalamba,

To start a new topic, first go to the forum that is most appropriate (for questions about BBO it is usually https://www.bridgeba...bbo-discussion/ )

Then you click "start new topic" in the upper right corner.

The reason why many tournaments don't allow kibitzers is that they don't want people to cheat by kibitzing themselves, using a second account.

When team matches don't allow kibitzers it's presumably more because they want some privacy for themselves, i.e. they don't want everyone to know if they are gossiping, swearing or making stupid bids.

#9 User is offline   tlalamba 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-06, 23:08

The Forum:

BBO:

have fun.

Thanks

#10 User is offline   tlalamba 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-06, 23:09

Thank everyone

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users