BBO Discussion Forums: Problem with card play in Handviewer - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem with card play in Handviewer

#1 User is offline   Gunnar60 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-September-25, 14:57

I try to run the followning LIN file with Handviewer, It works except that it's not possible to play card by card or trick by trick, I only get summary of the cards played? The file works with BridgeVu. Is it possible to make some changes in the file so the card play works? Link to file: My link BR/Björn

#2 User is offline   Gunnar60 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-26, 05:50

I think I have found the reason for the problem.

It seems to be that the specification of card play generated in LIN files from RPs Bridge File Conveter.

Example:

pc|DKDAD2D8|pg||
pc|HTH4HAH6|pg||
pc|H3H8HQHJ|pg||
pc|H2C6H7C9|pg||
pc|D9DQD4D5|pg||
pc|C4C7CAC5|pg||
pc|C8CJCQCT|pg||
pc|DTDJD7S5|pg||
pc|D3C3H5D6|pg||
pc|S9S8SQS2|pg||
pc|S3S4STSA|pg||
pc|CKS7C2HK|pg||
pc|SKS6H9SJ|pg||

This format works with BridgeVu and NetBridgeVu, but not Handviewer. It's only possible to play trick by trick.

This the format that works in all three programs:

pc|SJ|pc|sA|pc|sQ|pc|s2|pg||
pc|d3|pc|d4|pc|dQ|pc|dK|pg||
pc|c4|pc|CA|pc|c3|pc|c2|pg||
pc|d5|pc|d2|pc|dA|pc|dT|pg||
pc|dJ|pc|h2|pc|d6|pc|h3|pg||
pc|hQ|pc|h6|pc|h4|pc|hA|pg||
pc|CJ|pc|c6|pc|c8|pc|s5|pg||
pc|cT|pc|c9|pc|cQ|pc|s7|pg||
pc|cK|mc|8|pg||

I guess this format is required for card by card play, which is not suported in BridgeVu and NetBridgeVu.
This was introduced in Handviewer, but with no support for the old format.
I don't know if it's a bug or it was decided not to support it?
The question is, should it be fixed?

The problem is that the only PBN to LIN converter that works is RP's BFC and it does produce card play accoording to the old layout.
So Handviewer can't be used for these files. I am not sure if RP will update BFC to the new format?

The work around for me is to use NetbridgeVu instead for the old layout, as it has more functionality that BridgeVu.
I found info about NetbridgeVu and how to download it in a 10 year old message here!

Regards
Björn

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-September-28, 08:59

There's no published specification for LIN format, so it's hard to say what is a "bug".

But as far as I know, no BBO software will ever produce the format that BFC is generating. BridgeVu has been out of development for over a decade, we don't really consider it relevant these days. It would probably be easy for RP to fix his converter to add the separators between the cards in a trick.

#4 User is offline   Gunnar60 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-30, 06:59

Fix it or not I don't care now. I found another solution, which actually was "in front of my eyes"! Again I found the solution in a very old post in this Forum. From that i learned that Netbridgevu create a LIN file if it's loaded with a PBN file and it's the right hand format and it can also create the score sheet. So no converter is needed, just NetBridgeVu. Well, it's rather picky about the content in the PBN, it must be "clean", else it just produce the wrong LIN file without any indication what the problem is. I compared with other PBN that worked with BridgeVu and could that way get it right. NetbridgeVu works perfekt when the PBN file is ok.

Regards
Björn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users