• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

we bid heart slam opinions please

#1 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-June-05, 12:02

Hi all,

we ended up in 6 hearts, far to high, can you comment on the bidding please, particulaly if you think my 4 diamond bid was a bit too encouraging for my p

Scoring: IMP

West North East South

Pass  1    Pass  2
 Pass  2    Pass  3
 Pass  4    Pass  4NT
 Pass  5    Pass  5
 Pass  6    Pass  Pass
 Pass  

#2 User is offline   Robertn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2005-June-05, 12:58

Wayne,

I wouldn't consider the N hand strong enough for a reverse so would rebid 2 or 2NT (depending on system) rather than 2.

After the 2!s bid, I'd get quite excited with the S hand and probably try 3 (4th suit).

4 does seem over-encouraging as you've already stretched with 2 and partner's 3 could be weak (unless you play that direct 4 by S would be weak and 3 showed slam interest)

If 5 showed 3 key cards for hearts (and p didn't think he was asking in diamonds) I don't see the point of S trying again with 5 - surely he knows 2 key cards are missing?

Robert

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-June-05, 13:11

Many believe that the North hand must bid 2S in this 2/1 sequence (I don't) so I do not quibble with it. There are a couple of points to make, though - I'm not overly fond of the 2D bid with such a so-so suit, and over 4D the south hand should simply bid 4H (At least the way I play "Serious 3N"). The South hand is simply too flawed to cooperate in a slam try unless North has a very strong hand - the hearts are weak, the diamonds not good, aceless, and no shape.

Note, this is the reason why Rodwell came up with the concept of "Serious 3N", to distiguish the types of slam tries that North makes - depending on how you play it, one is based on a strong hand in HCPs while the other is shapely with controls (or forced as some play it also.)

WinstonM
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-05, 13:57

dont know what south was doing. He has 0 keycards and 0 trump honors and hes bidding 4N?? Then hes miscounting keycards as well lol. He gets 1000 % of the blame

#5 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2005-June-05, 14:50

#6 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-05, 15:04

i don't see anything wrong with the 2S bid.. playing bbo 2/1, i think 3S should be bid after 3H.. the trouble with it is, it's ambiguous... it pretty much has to be bid (else denies the control), but says nothing about serious slam interest

if i had the south hand i'd have to bid 4C now, if only because i'm not sure of north's intentions.. also, 2S *might* be a reverse (or higher).. but after 4D i'd bid 4H.. i don't have slam interest (i barely have game interest).. let partner move if he's turned on by what i've said so far
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-June-05, 17:21

the 2 bid is wrong IMO, the 4 is 100% good instead.

For south's bids, ahem... ok, 2 was a good bid, was it GF?, If it was GF then even 3 is wrong to me, a 4 bid should be in order with such trash.

#8 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-05, 17:23

I did not think 2 spades was a reverse after p goes to 2 level

what should it mean in sayc and in 2/1?

#9 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-05, 18:23

i imagine most think it should show extras.. i can play either way, but quite often with 4/5 spades/minor after partner opens 1h, i'll bid the minor to show the game force.. so 2s doesn't have to show extras to me.. but this is probably minority view
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#10 User is offline   Robertn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2005-June-06, 02:10

I think 2 is always a reverse (it forces partner to 3 level to show preference for your first suit) - the question is whether it shows extra strength or not. In SAYC, it does promise promise extras (see SAYC booklet). In 2/1, it looks like most play it as not showing extras after a 2/1 response (see replies above and e.g. Shep's teaching notes.)

Robert

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-June-06, 08:18

sceptic, on Jun 5 2005, 11:23 PM, said:

I did not think 2 spades was a reverse after p goes to 2 level

what should it mean in sayc and in 2/1?

The standard treatment is that it shows 15+, but there are some tendencies that say it is just 12+, I deeply disagree on playing that way, but if you and your partner agree ten there is noproblem on doing so.

#12 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-06, 09:16

Using RKCB to play 6 missing two aces is out of my patience range. The only time I've seen something like this was when pd bid 7 missing 3 aces after 4NT saying "To prevent a double".
I don't like 4, I prefer 3 showing the spade control that we do have, nothing extra promised with 3.
The legend of the black octogon.

#13 User is offline   Rebound 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-07, 03:18

I see no prob with the 2 response. Personally, I don't like 2 here not showing extras, but so be it, I know many like this treatment so on we go. I agree 4 is best over 2 with an aceless hand. Maybe change the KQ of to the AK or AQ and 2-3-4 may make more sense. However, I don't think that even after 4 on the given hand you have any other bid than 4. South has no business initiating Blackwood of any flavor with no controls.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - but it might improve my bridge.

#14 User is offline   PMetsch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-07, 05:21

The 2 bid and 4 bid maybe too encouraging, certainly if it shows reversing values and short clubs. The main problem is the response of 5. I guess south was thinking it shows 1/4 keycards.
Peter

#15 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-07, 06:16

I don't like to jump to 4H instead of 3H, because I like to play that as a picture jump. So I agree with 2D and 3H, but after that south should bid 4H, not 4NT. 6H is silly.

4D does not agree with my preferred style of cuebidding (where bypassing a suit denies a control), but I wouldn't say that it is wrong.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#16 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-June-07, 07:16

Hannie, on Jun 7 2005, 08:16 AM, said:

4D does not agree with my preferred style of cuebidding (where bypassing a suit denies a control), but I wouldn't say that it is wrong.

But I would. A jump to 4 with a club control is wrong.
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users