BBO Discussion Forums: What is my ranking? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

What is my ranking?

#1 User is offline   Banda Talk 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-20, 15:51

Hi all,

I am coming from the Go world which has a very rigorous ranking and rating system where even on online servers I can easily know how good I am relative to other players. My question is what is the equivalent in the Bridge world for novices and beginners before they start earning masterpoints or if my financial situation prevents me from entering tournaments in order to earn masterpoints.

I am loving Bridge so far and look forward to learning more and hopefully earning masterpoints soon!

Thank you!

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-October-20, 17:19

View PostBanda Talk, on 2020-October-20, 15:51, said:

Hi all,

I am coming from the Go world which has a very rigorous ranking and rating system where even on online servers I can easily know how good I am relative to other players. My question is what is the equivalent in the Bridge world for novices and beginners before they start earning masterpoints or if my financial situation prevents me from entering tournaments in order to earn masterpoints.

I am loving Bridge so far and look forward to learning more and hopefully earning masterpoints soon!

Thank you!

Your ranking is 43.78
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-21, 01:11

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-October-20, 17:19, said:

Your ranking is 43.78

hrothgar just crawled out of the primordial slime and sat down to watch television. Then he climbed off the sofa to write the first number that popped into his head. Like me, he doesn't work for BBO, but unlike me, he's sometimes very annoying.

I used to play Chess which also had a rigorous rating system. It was so rigorous that when I played against someone in the club I knew that at the end of the month my rating would be compared with Gary Kasparov and Bobby Fischer.
Bridge is useless. It's just a collection of coffee shops arguing with each other about laws and rulings. Regional authorities sell them masterpoints wholesale which we compete for and they supply them to us retail.
Since lockdown, we have to provide our own coffee. I just checked your ranking on BBO. you have 0.02 bbo points so your ranking is still 0. you can check anyone ranking and masterpoints by following this link: https://www.bridgeba...oints/index.php

#4 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-21, 05:08

I'm just an outsider here really but masterpoints both do and don't bear any relation to anything much. With apologies to the good players :)

But I am checking a few world champions and others to see how many points they have compared to me

EDIT. I hope he won't mind me saying it but I have more BBO masterpoints than a very famous champion Bridge player. I would hate to cause embarrassment

#5 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-October-21, 10:51

Welcome to the Forums!

There is no rigorous rating system.

Two main reasons IMO:

• The main competitive unit is the pair, not the invididual (except for individual contests, where you switch partners each round).
    So it would make more sense to rate pairs rather than individuals.
  • Incomplete information: The best play in a vacuum looking at the available half of the deck,
    may fail on any given hand due to the distribution of the hidden half of the deck.

So who is better? The one who made the best play, or the one who got a better result?

Also, a social one:
  • Sites with public rating saw people relunctant to partner other people with (much) worse rating.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-03, 17:46

Hi Banda, BBO also has a 'rigorous' rating system:-

Novice - Someone who recently learned to play bridge
Beginner - Someone who has played bridge for less than one year
Intermediate - Someone who is comparable in skill to most other members of BBO
Advanced - Someone who has been consistently successful in clubs or minor tournaments
Expert - Someone who has enjoyed success in major national tournaments
World Class - Someone who has represented their country in World Championships

You can also judge yourself relative to your immediate opponents by logging into this address and selecting a period of 1 month.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users