• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Confirm Cards improvment

#1 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2021-May-27, 09:11

I suggest the confirm card option should work like the confirm bid option.
when you click a card there should be a popup with the card and an ok button to press to confirm that card
double clicking on the card is too easy to double click by mistake or to just do it automatically
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#2 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-May-27, 12:11

View Poststeve2005, on 2021-May-27, 09:11, said:

when you click a card there should be a popup with the card and an ok button to press to confirm that card
double clicking on the card is too easy to double click by mistake or to just do it automatically

Or drag&drop

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-27, 14:59

View Poststanmaz, on 2021-May-27, 12:11, said:

Or drag&drop

I have suggested that before because it makes playing the wrong card or making the wrong bid accidentally very very difficult. You "see" the card or bid moving to the hotspot and have plenty of time to cancel the action. The API's for drag and drop already exist and don't have to be reinvented.

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-27, 18:06

I play on another site where it is literally 'touch-move'.
One click and the card is played.

At least on BBO if you click on a card and then move your cursor away from it you get a second chance.

#5 User is offline   Mr Dale 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-May-28, 06:48

Good idea. I agree 100%.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-28, 15:30

Or drag&drop

I have suggested that for several years.

Ironically, a BBO competitor initially implemented it but then changed to a solution more like BBO because people were used to that :)

#7 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-28, 17:11

View Postpescetom, on 2021-May-28, 15:30, said:

Ironically, a BBO competitor initially implemented it but then changed to a solution more like BBO because people were used to that :)

This type of approach sounds fine for non-disabled players.
But it is unlikely to comprise the bulk of the BBO playing population.
It is especially unlikely to include the bulk of the paying BBO population.

There are many people out there who, for one reason or another, have difficulty manipulating small animated objects on a GUI, as this thread implies at the start.
Many older people have (for example) a tremor that would make a 'drag and drop' solution difficult.

Online Bridge provides a unique environment where people from all walks of life can enjoy a demanding game without the need for excellent hand-eye coordination.
They do not have to worry about holding their cards close to their chest,
Leading out of turn or all kinds of other things.

The objective of the designers should be to make it simpler, not more complicated, to use.
The next thing you'll want is a Wii-style solution where the player has to throw their tablet or phone against the wall to play a card.

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-28, 20:54

View Postpescetom, on 2021-May-28, 15:30, said:

They could have very easily implemented an option to choose between drag and drop, and clicking/double clicking so that players could choose.

After the Windows version which had many configurable options and was highly advanced, BBO made the deliberate decision to dumb down the playing interface and reduce options to the very bare minimum.

#9 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-28, 20:58

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-May-28, 17:11, said:

There are many people out there who, for one reason or another, have difficulty manipulating small animated objects on a GUI, as this thread implies at the start.

Drag and drop allows the player to stop and replay/rebid at any time before the bid/card is "dropped" in the hot zone. It sounds ridiculous that it would be more accurate and less error prone for a person who has difficulty manipulating small animated objects on a GUI by clicking or double clicking.

#10 User is offline   Pertinax 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-May-28, 21:18

Or drag&drop

Drag and dropping with a mouse is the major cause of computer related injuries. 20% of Autocad users have wrist injuries from the frequent dragging and dropping the interface contains. No interface should use drag and drop.

#11 User is offline   erikrose 

• Pip

Posted 2022-January-10, 09:22

I concur. Let me suggest that the popup confirm option be in addition to the current double click, allowing users who prefer the double click to continue using it.

#12 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-10, 13:50

View PostPertinax, on 2021-May-28, 21:18, said:

Drag and dropping with a mouse is the major cause of computer related injuries. 20% of Autocad users have wrist injuries from the frequent dragging and dropping the interface contains. No interface should use drag and drop.

There are a number of ways to alleviate wrist problems when running software programs.

That being said, the dragging and dropping that would be associated with bridge is far below the volume required by something like Autocad. You are talking about 13 card plays per hand (26 if declarer) and usually less than a handful for bids in a 5 to 8+ minute time period. And many hands have a claim or concession after a few played cards.

#13 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-11, 09:49

And another difference between the drag-and-drop that existed in the Flash client (and I'd really like back) and Autocad - precision of the drag is nonexistent. You just grabbed the card and pushed "up" or "down". That also reduces the chance of injury compared to "hold down button, drag to the exact right spot with the button held,..."

Having said that I've used a vertical mouse for the last 5 years, and a much-closer-to-vertical mouse for 15 years before that, because of rotation loss from a broken arm suffered in middle school. So I may not be a representative case.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users