Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IMPs, what is the best option?

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-January-17, 01:17

First time playing this 1 option. What is the best bid, and what should be the difference between Pass/4/4NT/5?

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2022-January-17, 06:47

View Postchasetb, on 2022-January-17, 01:17, said:

First time playing this 1 option. What is the best bid, and what should be the difference between Pass/4/4NT/5?

Time for the choice of games cuebid, you do not want to have to bid clubs naturally
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-17, 09:49

I'm not sure why a cuebid would be choice of games here -- it looks like diamonds are agreed (opened and raised). Which strains would the choice of games be between anyway? It seems like opener has denied a spade fit (could've raised spades over 3, could've bid spades over 4) and the idea that responder should somehow infer a seven-card club suit and choose this game with i.e. 5242 and weak spades seems far-fetched.

I'm not sure how this 1 opening style is supposed to work (seems like a bad idea to me) but given you are playing this way, it seems much better to bid 4 over 3 to clarify the nature of the hand (very long clubs, extras, not really diamonds) rather than making a "values" double.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-January-17, 10:19

I agree with everything Adam wrote

Also, I don’t understand why this hand should be seen as ‘cards with defence’

We have a stiff heart 2…that seems unlikely to be useful should partner pass the double, which the phrase ‘with defence’ suggests he consider doing.

Our club suit rates to take 1 trick on defence, and nobody would be shocked if it took zero.

Btw, as a point of emphasis, I simply don’t understand how north can ever bid clubs and have south know what to do. Has north never been dealt nor thought about a minor two suiter? When is south supposed to work out the partner, bidding 4C over 3H, is 3=7 as opposed to, say, 5=5? F course, maybe this method has an opening to show a minor two suiter (maybe 2N)
But at what systemic cost?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-17, 10:26

I am guessing you play Precision/Schenken-style Big Club. If one of this is your system, then you need to open this hand 1 as the (competitive) auction you have posted will make your choice difficult later if you open 1 as you have done. This hand is far stronger than 14 points with its two AK and a seven card suit.

However, on the auction given, as you have not only xx (minimum) but AKx and a max hand with a good suit that could be established, I feel you must make a slam try with 4 here even though partner has given preference only.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-17, 10:27

Since it would be absolutely foolish to play such a 1 opener without discussing how to distinguish pure club hands from diamond-club two-suiters in more common low level auctions, I am sure you have done so. Right? So maybe you could have told us about these agreements?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-17, 11:23

+1 to everything that Adam wrote. Also, the X showing defensive values, especially with a stiff heart and a hand that looks very offensive, seems really misplaced.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users