Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Optimism

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-August-12, 04:21

My partner showed unjustified belief in my declarer play and we reached a poor slam here. I was pleased to be playing face-to-face again so did not complain. West led a neutral heart, sorry.

How can I best combine my chances?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-12, 04:28

What lead ?

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-August-12, 08:00

View Postlamford, on 2021-August-12, 04:21, said:

How can I best combine my chances?

1. Hope they never lead
2. Find a new partner

Posted Image
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-12, 09:16

If they lead for example a neutral heart I don't see much better than crossing in spades, club to the queen, duck a club. That way if clubs break 3-3 with Kxx onside and spades break 3-3 you made your contract, and there's always the Chinese finesse in diamonds. If the spades are 4-2 or worse you never get to 12 legitimate tricks (unless you can scoop a singleton honour in diamonds). Are you trying to induce a defensive error?

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-August-12, 09:32

Following David's example, with a neutral heart lead it appears to me the best chance is for 3-3 spades with the club finesse onside. That still only comes to 11 tricks so diamonds or clubs will need to produce the extra trick. Ducking a club seems poor as then east can play diamonds putting you to an early commitment. I think I would win the heart and lead the diamond Q. If that loses to the King, I will win the the return, cash heart winners then all the spades (assuming 3-3). This would squeeze west if he has Kxxx of clubs along with KJx of diamonds. It will squeeze east if that hand has left the Jx of diamonds and any 4 or 5 clubs minus the king.

Plus, I always can fall back on taking a second diamond finesse if the squeeze positions appear to be failing.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-August-12, 10:00

View Postlamford, on 2021-August-12, 04:21, said:

My partner showed unjustified belief in my declarer play and we reached a poor slam here. I was pleased to be playing face-to-face again so did not complain. How can I best combine my chances?

Partial line:

On a heart lead:
1. Q
2. 2
Assuming opps win the trick cheaply (although RHO will sometimes rise with the K even when it's wrong DD) and continue hearts:
3. K
4. A
5. Q
Assuming the Q wins the trick:
6. A, pitching a diamond in hand
If clubs are 3-3, then
7. A (Vienna coup)
8. A
9.,10. 53, pitching a low spade and the remaining diamond in hand
If clubs are not 3-3, then, assuming spades are 3-3 (which they now have to be):
7.-10. KQ54, pitching a club and two diamonds in dummy
11. A

Edit: Some of the pitching was absurd. Hopefully corrected now.

This post has been edited by nullve: 2021-August-12, 12:21

#7 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2021-August-13, 10:58

I crossed to the top spade and hooked the club successfully. Now if clubs broke but spade did not, I might still make as I can squeeze East if he has the king of diamonds and the fourth spade. Also if I duck a club now and they don't break but spades do, I might squeeze East with the fourth club and KJx of diamonds. The winning line was to not duck a club, but to cash the spades and then guess the diamonds. Or to run the queen of diamonds after the club finesse works. Seemed all very close to me.

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2021-August-13, 11:00

I crossed to the top spade and hooked the club successfully. Now if clubs broke but spade did not, I might still make as I can squeeze East if he has the king of diamonds and the fourth spade. Also if I duck a club now and they don't break but spades do, I might squeeze East with the fourth club and KJx of diamonds. The winning line was to not duck a club, but to cash the spades and then guess the diamonds. Or to run the queen of diamonds after the club finesse works. Seemed all very close to me.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users