BBO Discussion Forums: Do You Or Don't You? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do You Or Don't You? Is it worth the it?

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-15, 02:15

View Poststeve2005, on 2021-October-14, 13:41, said:

You need specific maximum holdings.
If your try for game on this hand you are going to be in game on hands where responder is 8-10 pts and you have no play or are not better than 50% for game.
Not to mention being in 3-1

Not at all, Kxx, xxx, xxxx, KQx is rock bottom minimum for this and 3N is good. I don't think form of scoring is stated, teams you don't need it to be 50% vulnerable.

#22 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-15, 03:39

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-October-14, 20:27, said:

Basically there are two schools : short suit game tries and help suit. Short is good but infrequent which is why I chose help suit.

There are also 2-way tries and some I have overlooked.
There are four schools: short suit, help suit, side suit and game forcing tries. Most people don't bother learning the (significant!) differences between help suit and side suit. The last school just bids game, and is arguably better off than the side suit approach.

As smerriman pointed out, simple raises with an upper limit of 12 are far from optimal. Using the cue bid to distinguish between weak/competitive raises and strong/constructive raises is very helpful - not just for game investigation, but also to prepare partner for the rest of the auction. Personally I draw the line in the vicinity of the 9-point hands, which usually coincides with ~8.5 losers.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users