• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tricky to bid? Those pesky preempts

#1 User is offline   Bad_Wolf 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Mathematics, history.

Posted 2022-June-11, 16:32

What us a good auction here after a weak 2S opener...

Thanks

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-June-11, 17:11

It’s close to impossible to get honest, objective suggestions when you show both hands. Few posters can resist the chance to show how great they (and, often, their pet methods) are. I may be guilty myself😀

For me, this is very difficult.

The first decision is north’s Does he bid a simple 3H or a strength showing 4H. One does not ‘preempt over a preempt’ so 4H shows a powerful one suiter. With those red suits, and bearing in mind that 7-4 hands should usually play in the 7 card suit, this is close. However, Jx in spades is a poor holding, and the rest of th3 hand is minimal for 4H imo. So I bid 3H

Now south has a problem. He has a great hand, but short on aces.

Should he go looking for slam? If so, how?

If he’s not looking for slam, 3N has a lot going for it, primarily protecting the spade king. But of course, it may not need protecting…partner could hold a stiff or Qx or even the ace, depending on how aggressive west is known or guessed to be.

Plus 3N is really feeble opposite say xx AQJxxx Axx Kx, which is hardly an impossible hand.

I’d start with 4C.

If partner raises, I bid 6N.

If partner retreats to 4H, as he will here, I bid 5H, asking for a spade control.

So while I’m not entirely sure of how I’d bid the south hand in real life, I hope it would be:

(2S) 3H (P) 4C
(P). 4H (P) 5H
All pass

It’s not cold. I have to ruff the third spade high, then hope to ruff a diamond, probably with the King, cash to club ace and ruff a club low. If dealer has a stiff diamond or east has 4 trump, I’m down. I’m assuming opener has AQxxxx in spades. Of course, the diamond Q might drop.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-June-12, 02:13

Mike covers it well, I think (2)-4 will get you to 6N(S) which may or may not make (you could well get an unfortunate for the defence club lead) and it's a close decision whether to bid 3 or 4. I tend to be aggressive in these circumstances so partner doesn't worry about me having a hand as good as this when I overcall 3 when he has a hand that's rather less good and can pass. Over 3 I don't think you get there (and don't want to as S will bid clubs).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users