Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"SOS" Redouble

#1 User is offline   carmelbobc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-September-15, 15:12

On this board, I think N should have bid something—not passed: SOS Redouble How does GIB play a XX in this situation?

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-September-15, 16:14

I'm not really following. Why would you want to redouble as South with this hand (or any hand)?

For one, your partner could have a good hand and you're making 1NTx easily.. pass doesn't deny this. Redouble as North shows a takeout to a long minor so that you can cheaply escape to 2/2. Some people play xx as penalty, but I've never understood why as all it does is give West a bonus chance to escape to a suit, and thus reduce your chance of actually getting a penalty in the first place. (As well as meaning if you have a weak hand with long minor, you have to play at the 3 level, since systems are on).

For two, your own PDF says SOS applies when someone leaves in a takeout double guaranteeing that you're in trouble.. here x isn't a takeout double, and East might be passing with a flat 0 count.

For three, even if South somehow knew partner had a weak hand and wanted to escape, I'd rather play diamonds than suggest playing in a 4-2 heart fit..

Redouble by South is not defined for GIB.

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-September-15, 16:51

XX is 100% NOT SOS on this auction. The S hand is well defined by the opening.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users