Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2/1 bid as non forcing

#1 User is offline   Nirmalya 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-October-03, 06:54

Is it legal to play 2♦️ Response over 1M opening as non forcing?
The question is in Precision context.

As 2♣️ can be played as GF relay, on any GF hand, 2♦️ or 2❤️ over 1♠️ can be played non forcing or semi forcing (8-11 HCP)

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-October-03, 07:31

Although regulations vary depending on where you play, I don't know of a jurisdiction where it is illegal to play non-forcing, natural responses to an opening bid. That is, it would be legal everywhere I know.

In all the jurisdictions where I play, this is alertable and would require a pre-alert in some places.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-October-03, 08:26

Same in the ACBL: Legal in all events (Allowed: "Any Natural Response"), but very very Alertable:

[Natural Bids. Alert:]By an unpassed hand, and after an Opening suit bid and an opponent’s pass or overcall, a Non-Forcing new suit bid at the cheapest level (unless that bid is at the level of game or higher).

Probably a playable system (in one very aggressive opening system I played for a couple of years, we played next-suit-Artificial Positive, new suits NF Constructive, it worked quite well); but overloading the GF response can be hard to unravel and is prone to disruption.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-October-03, 10:54

View PostNirmalya, on 2022-October-03, 06:54, said:

Is it legal to play 2♦️ Response over 1M opening as non forcing?
The question is in Precision context.

As 2♣️ can be played as GF relay, on any GF hand, 2♦️ or 2❤️ over 1♠️ can be played non forcing or semi forcing (8-11 HCP)

REGULATION is the worst thing that happpen to bridge / are more on opening and overcall t/o double,,,

#5 User is offline   pilun 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-October-16, 16:55

In many strong club relay systems, a 2/1 response is non forcing, typically 6-10 and a decent suit.
Stronger responding hands start with a shape-asking relay, such as 1 - 1 = 11+ any

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users